Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Not legal in Florida, so I wonder what he was thinking.

Young guy in his late twenties, I'd guess. Wearing black SWAT style pants tucked into SWAT style black boots. His rig was a black tactical style belt and holster, containing a service sized Glock. He wore a gray tucked in T-shirt that said Special Operations on it. He was about 6'2" and athletic. Looked very much the SWAT type, and seemed stable and unconcerned about being seen open carrying. Oddly, though, I was the only person who noticed, and when I passed him within just a few feet, I intentionally let him know I thought it was odd he was carrying like that by looking inquisitively at his Glock. When he noticed that, he seemed to quicken his pace in collecting the produce he was looking for and moved away at a good clip. I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm. He said he didn't see him, but he figured he must have a license or he wouldn't be doing it. I informed him that Florida has no legal open carry. At that he seemed a bit troubled, but not enough to call the cops. I finished my shopping and left.

Anybody know what Special Operations refers to? I figure it's some kind of law, but he was not wearing a uniform or a badge, so the law says he's not supposed to carry openly like that. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Florida permitting that, as I favor legal open carry as an option, off duty cop, or anyone else.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Even where legal it's just asking for trouble. Open carry clearly upsets many people. Why OC unless you are just asking for trouble to find you?

Steve ~ Asheville, NC
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bankcardrep1
Even where legal it's just asking for trouble. Open carry clearly upsets many people. Why OC unless you are just asking for trouble to find you?
Hell, if it were legal in Florida, I'd have started up a conversation about it with him. But seeing that it's not legal in Florida, I was a little concerned about it, and was glad I had my Kahr P9 on.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

I'm surprised, though, that open carry isn't legal in Florida.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say you saw one of two possible situations....

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
It's legal in NH, though you don't see a lot of folks carrying in that manner. It's too easy to get a concealed carry permit I suppose (hopefully the need to do even that will be gone this year).

I don't care for open carry as I don't want to draw attention to myself, but I could care less if someone else does so. If schit breaks bad and someone is carrying open, that's where the attention will be.

I'm surprised, though, that open carry isn't legal in Florida.

George
It was legal even without a license, and in fact part of our state constitution, until about 1980, when they introduced state-wide shall issue concealed carry, part of which was an amendment to the state constitution eliminating the right of open carry, and the license forbids open carry.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
The guy looked so clean cut and "legitimate." Could mean nothing, of course.

What's "Special Operations?"

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Politics......

I long for the day of simple, Nation-wide carry. No permits, no bullchit. Maybe in my son's lifetime.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Off duty LEO

or

Militant whack job.
The guy looked so clean cut and "legitimate." Could mean nothing, of course.

What's "Special Operations?"

It could be any number of things, though an off-duty SRT/SWAT type would make sense.

K9 is, technically, "special operations" (we're really special according to some of our detractors). No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
No self-respecting dog guy would wear anything other than a "Police K9" shirt, though.
Maybe I should have drawn on him. laugh

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well...

There's "Special Operations" and then there's "Special Operations".

The real Spec Ops refers to a wide branch within the military that includes PsyOps, SOAR, Green Berets, SEALS, Delta, PJ's and the likes. Special Operations are not to be confused with Special Forces though. Green Berets, SEALS, and Delta are all Special Forces, where PsyOps and SOAR are Special Operations. IOW, Special Operations are highly trained, specialized military units that strictly and specifically support the Special Forces.

That said, they don't go around wearing t-shirts that state "Special Forces" on them. You might see one wearing a unit shirt, but nothing like what you described.

You saw some dude that picked up a cheap t-shirt to wear about.

Decerning if he was a LEO or a whack-job might be harder to do, as I can honestly see either wearing such a shirt....

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If he wasn't wearing jack boots, it's a clue he isn't a cop.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably special unit LEO who just got done with training and needed to pick something up at the store. I have done it myself after instructing on the range. I carry with badge next to gun, but if he was doing PT or something and didn't want to risk damaging his badge he may have left it in his ride.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
Probably special unit LEO who just got done with training and needed to pick something up at the store. I have done it myself after instructing on the range. I carry with badge next to gun, but if he was doing PT or something and didn't want to risk damaging his badge he may have left it in his ride.

That was my first thought...

It would have been either that, or a whack job.

I'd lean more to the idea that it was a LEO, but the whack job is a certain possibility, with a decent level of likelihood....

Turdlike, by default.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Not legal in Florida, so I wonder what he was thinking.

Young guy in his late twenties, I'd guess. Wearing black SWAT style pants tucked into SWAT style black boots. His rig was a black tactical style belt and holster, containing a service sized Glock. He wore a gray tucked in T-Shirt that said Special Operations on it. He was about 6'2" and athletic. Looked very much the SWAT type, and seemed stable and unconcerned about being seen open carrying. Oddly, though, I was the only person who noticed, and when I passed him within just a few feet, I intentionally let him know I thought it was odd he was carrying like that by looking inquisitively at his Glock. When he noticed that, he seemed to quicken his pace in collecting the produce he was looking for and moved away at a good clip. I saw the produce manager there and asked him if he knew why that guy was openly carrying a sidearm. He said he didn't see him, but he figured he must have a license or he wouldn't be doing it. I informed him that Florida has no legal open carry. At that he seemed a bit troubled, but not enough to call the cops. I finished my shopping and left.

Anybody know what Special Operations refers to? I figure it's some kind of law, but he was not wearing a uniform or a badge, so the law says he's not supposed to carry openly like that. Not that I wouldn't be happy with Florida permitting that, as I favor legal open carry as an option, off duty cop, or anyone else.

The reason he was movin away from you at "a good clip" was because you were bent over looking at his waist "inquisitively". Probaly not into that... grin

Dink

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
....or he is a typical poser "bounty hunter".

I would not be surprised if the T-shirt under his shirt did not say "AGENT".

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
....or he is a typical poser "bounty hunter".

I would not be surprised if the T-shirt under his shirt did not say "AGENT".
No outer shirt. Just the T-Shirt.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Pretty enthralling story.

Travis

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is a group here in Michigan that almost seem to be pushing the open carry down everyone elses throat.

I just dont get why?
It is legal here but we also have liberalized CCW in the last 10 years

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guessing if he was LEO he would have told you so or even offered to show ID ... wouldn't that be weird ... GI JOE

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 76 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.