Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
So, it seems you have to use premium bullets for the .223 to be effective. You also need to shoot at closer ranges. You also need to take safe shots. Lung shots.

Kind of sounds like what you'd do with a good old 30-30 with cheap core-lokts.

The 30-30 will destroy less meat, and i'd feel more comfortable shooting a bear with the 30-30 too. Just in case you run in to a grumpy mama with cubs.

I still don't get the .223 except for varmints.

So with bigger cartridges you are all for taking JO ass shots, [bleep] the vitals? I've never not punch bone with the 223AI. Put you experience is akin to JO's on the matter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Steelhead
So, it seems you have to use premium bullets for the .223 to be effective. You also need to shoot at closer ranges. You also need to take safe shots. Lung shots.

Kind of sounds like what you'd do with a good old 30-30 with cheap core-lokts.

The 30-30 will destroy less meat, and i'd feel more comfortable shooting a bear with the 30-30 too. Just in case you run in to a grumpy mama with cubs.

I still don't get the .223 except for varmints.

So with bigger cartridges you are all for taking JO ass shots, [bleep] the vitals? I've never not punch bone with the 223AI. Put you experience is akin to JO's on the matter.

You read funny. I never said anything about taking bad shots.

Then again. You're Steelhead, and I expect nothing less from you.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
223= JUNK

Model 7's FOR LIFE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm horney and in WY
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ya, and as a Vietnam era vet, I can tell you , we all were just so really impressed with the 223........why do you think the military is rethinking that one. Multiple bursts from an automatic is required.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kbruce
223= JUNK

clueless 15 year olds = clueless 15 year olds.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Exactly AggieDog, they designed the 6.8 SPC to replace it... at least for the Special Forces for now. Glad someone has my back. LOL

Of course head shots are the best, but when your clearing room to room your not exactly focused on making perfect head shots... surviving is WAY more important.

Question... would you rather clear rooms with a .223 diameter bullet or a 30 cal? No brainer. Same concept, of course it will kill them, but a 30 cal hitting the exact same spots would kill faster. Why else would they invent the 6.8 SPC to compete with the 7.62x39?

That's one reason why special forces use the AK-47 over the M4 in a lot of situations.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by addicted
Exactly AggieDog, they designed the 6.8 SPC to replace it... at least for the Special Forces for now. Glad someone has my back. LOL

Of course head shots are the best, but when your clearing room to room your not exactly focused on making perfect head shots... surviving is WAY more important.

Question... would you rather clear rooms with a .223 diameter bullet or a 30 cal? No brainer. Same concept, of course it will kill them, but a 30 cal hitting the exact same spots would kill faster. Why else would they invent the 6.8 SPC to compete with the 7.62x39?

That's one reason why special forces use the AK-47 over the M4 in a lot of situations.

What the [bleep] do clearing rooms, Vietnam, or special forces have to do with the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of the 223 on elk?

Never had an elk shoot back, toss a grenade, or detonate an IED yet.... it's not like they have an offensive agenda.

[bleep], next chance I get to legally do it, I'm whackin an elk with a 223. Even though I know a 12 year old rainman who already whacked tatonka with one...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 5.56mm round is fine for combat. Its the damn ball ammo that needs to be changed. Not to mention the amount of ammo a guy can carry, and the fact that elk are not hopped up on opium. Same thing with the 9mm vs the 45 ACP.

Back to elk hunting...

Last edited by Dog_Hunter; 02/27/12.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Dog Hunter - you got give up those nasty MT habits! We are already trying to deport oldmanweirdo/interthem. You don't want your name added to the list of undesirables!

IC B3

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by addicted

I don't have any experience shooting people, but quite a bit shooting deer sized game and I can't tell any difference provided vitals are punched.

I figured Special Forces wanted a different cartridge because for the most part they think they are Special better than some lowly grunt...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Pretty clear where he got that idea. You might want to read what you write sometime.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Dog Hunter - you got give up those nasty MT habits! We are already trying to deport oldmanweirdo/interthem. You don't want your name added to the list of undesirables!

Sorry, old habits die hard.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Pretty clear where he got that idea. You might want to read what you write sometime.

No, I don't see it at all. maybe you should read my complete post. Not just what he quoted.

I said safe shots need to be taken with the .223 and the 30-30.

I made no mention at all of being able to take bad shots with any bullet. I wouldn't, because that goes against everything I stand for in my hunting.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
The 5.56mm round is fine for combat. Its the damn ball ammo that needs to be changed. Not to mention the amount of ammo a guy can carry, and the fact that elk are not hopped up on opium. Same thing with the 9mm vs the 45 ACP.

Back to elk hunting...

The 45 was my personal side arm in the 82nd, and opinions are just that, opinions, and for me, I d rather pop someone charging me with a 45 than the 9mm. I'll get that followup shot for sure with a 45 because his but t s going to be down on the first shot.

I'll buy the 223 on elk if Im the shooter, but I wont recommend it to inexperienced shooters.

Last edited by AggieDog; 02/28/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
223= JUNK

clueless 15 year olds = clueless 15 year olds.
Clueless adult= clueless adults

Model 7's FOR LIFE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Would you like french fries with that?"

Keep practicing. It'll come in handy for you.. grin

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any thread that goes this long for no apparent reason other than boredom should have some girly pics...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The whole topic is clueless. Illegal in some places, foolish anywhere.

You gotta watch the whole video, especially the part with the "flying camera" near the end. Imagine you had shot him with your 22 caliber toy and he was really pizzed off ?

Stupid is as stupid does !

http://www.nps.gov/yell/photosmultimedia/safetyvideos.htm

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Any thread that goes this long for no apparent reason other than boredom should have some girly pics...

I tried to divert the topic with my sheep [bleep] pic but nobody followed suit.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

610 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,274
Posts18,448,369
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.