Print Thread
Hop To
S
sns2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just put a Timney on a Savage 111. Adjusted it quite light and did the prescribed safety tests. Went to the range shot about 25 rounds and had a slamfire when I closed my bolt. Thankfully I was at a range and by myself. I adjusted the trigger considerably heavier and kept shooting. I want the trigger to be light, which was the reason for purchasing the Timney in the first place. If I increase the sear engagement a bit, will this allow me to safely adjust the trigger to a light weight.

I also noticed some creep in the trigger which surprised me. Wasn't expecting that with all the good feedback I have heard on Timneys.

Advice is appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sns2
Just put a Timney on a Savage 111. Adjusted it quite light and did the prescribed safety tests. Went to the range shot about 25 rounds and had a slamfire when I closed my bolt. Thankfully I was at a range and by myself. I adjusted the trigger considerably heavier and kept shooting. I want the trigger to be light, which was the reason for purchasing the Timney in the first place. If I increase the sear engagement a bit, will this allow me to safely adjust the trigger to a light weight.

I also noticed some creep in the trigger which surprised me. Wasn't expecting that with all the good feedback I have heard on Timneys.

Advice is appreciated.

PM natman and ask him. He seems to be the expert on rifles firing when fingers aren't anywhere close to the trigger.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In all seriousness, having a trigger do potentially very bad things on you is a sign... You should not be messing with triggers until you have a clue about what you are doing.

Frankly, good-intentioned guys like you have killed people.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
See Timney Triggers, specifically the "Installation" page. Contact Timney if that doesn't give you the answer. Personally I won't mess with a trigger unless I can literally visualize it functioning in my head, eyes closed. Too great a potential for a tragedy.

For a safety check include rapping directly on the bolt handle and rear of the bolt with a rubber hammer, simulating a drop or a hard fall. Seems to be the most sensitive spots.

------

Re-read your post, looks like you have the instructions. If the instructions don't work for ya, gunsmith time. Not a big deal, NOBODY is good at everything.

Last edited by nighthawk; 02/28/12.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Properly adjusted triggers do not slam fire... tests are only to make you feel better about it and do not really prove anything. Unless Timney put out a defective trigger... very unlikely... it had too little sear engagement and/or too light a trigger setting.

Timneys come with decent instructions. I suspect there was no weight gauge used...

The poster needs to have someone that knows what he is doing verify the trigger is not defective at the very least.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And it weren't a Remington Trigger, odd. Lots of folks messing with triggers that 'know' what they are doing, about like I know about brain surgery.

If a guy is asking this on here that tells me he don't know. Take it to someone that knows.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by sns2
Just put a Timney on a Savage 111. Adjusted it quite light and did .... I want the trigger to be light, which was the reason for purchasing the Timney in the first place.

Advice is appreciated.

How light do you consider light?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
(In all seriousness, having a trigger do potentially very bad things on you is a sign... You should not be messing with triggers until you have a clue about what you are doing.)

how do you know that sns2 doesnt know what he is doing, is it just because he asked a question? I know what I'm doing most of the time but never hurts to ask questions

Last edited by gemby58; 02/29/12.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I use HVR Jewells triggers and I sometimes think 1 1/2 ounces isent lite enough at times

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gemby58
I use HVR Jewells triggers and I sometimes think 1 1/2 ounces isent lite enough at times

I've got some out of work acquaintances who, for the right price, will pull the trigger for you.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
the more the better have them come to PA

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gemby58
(In all seriousness, having a trigger do potentially very bad things on you is a sign... You should not be messing with triggers until you have a clue about what you are doing.)

how do you know that sns2 doesnt know what he is doing, is it just because he asked a question? I know what I'm doing most of the time but never hurts to ask questions

Questions to reaffirm knowledge do not get worded like the OP's...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all seriousness, having a trigger do potentially very bad things on you is a sign...

This sort of reminds me of the mom who told her kid to stay out of the water until he learned to swim.

Many of us learn and make a few mistakes by fiddling with things. That is fine, but in this instance, make sure ones work is well tested before assuming all is right with the world. Same goes for working on ones airplane.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/01/12.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well yeah, so long as you're willing to invest the time and effort to learn how to swim.

I think there's an abundance of caution with trigger adjusting advice because the results of a poor job can be disastrous. Nobody wants to see that. One wonders if the person asking is the type to do a precise job or just "good enough."

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Without trigger weight listed there is a suspicion from here that no gauge was used... Bad sign right there...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

272 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 25 invisible), 1,595 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.