Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A man who was believed to have relocated four years ago was found in his home in January during a foreclosure visit to the home according to the New York Daily News. A 41-year-old-man from Wisconsin, David Carter�s remains were found inside his home with a 9mm pistol located on his chest.

The man�s �nearly skeletonized body� was located on the second floor of the house that he owned. An autopsy report concluded that cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head. They also determined that he must have killed himself sometime in 2007.
This came as a shock to neighbors and friends who knew Carter. They all believed he had moved to New Mexico. He had told many of his friends that he had planned on moving to the state after he quit his job, and after his disappearance, they just concluded that was what had happened.

A few reports mentioned that Carter suffered from depression on and off for many years. Also, because of his condition he frequently would disappear from sight for a while. No one thought anything serious had occurred because of his disappearance.

Carter owned his own home, so even after property taxes started to accrue, the city still left him alone. The city even continued to mow his grass and clear the snow from his walkway and just added the fees to his property taxes. After the electricity was turned off, many believed the house had become abandoned.

Carter had no siblings, and he never knew his father. His cousin, Kevin O�Neill, reported that his mother passed away in 1997. After her death, he started to drink more and became more withdrawn and depressed than usual. More details are coming to light on how Carter could have remained dead in his home for four years without notice. Friends initially reported that they did not think anything was wrong.

Carter did leave behind a daughter. He and her mother never married, but medical records proved that the girl was his. She is now 14. His property is now going to the county, but since it has become clear that he did have a daughter that could change.

If this story teaches anybody anything, hopefully it is do not take depression lightly. It may not seem that serious, but people who are suffering from depression often feel like they have no hope. Maybe Carter�s story, no matter how sad, can end up helping someone else who is in trouble.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
BP-B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Bummer.....gone for four years before anyone notices.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
His property is now going to the county, but since it has become clear that he did have a daughter that could change.

Yeah, now that they know he had a living relative they will continue to mow the lawn and shovel the snow while the tax levy continues to compound until she turns 18. Then they'll sue her for all of it.

It is NY after all.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Bummer.....gone for four years before anyone notices.

no kidding, if he wasn't dead that would really depress him

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's not funny, no really. grin

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
That is truly sad, deceased that long and nobody noticed.
He must have been really withdrawn for that to happen. Makes
you think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't have anybody that would notice, I am like that myself, If I were to go, nobody would even notice, oh he must be hunting or fishing someplace or he's flying some were. While I don't drink, I feel sorry for the man. The Fact that the town did not look into it for years seems to be questionable since they let taxes go on paid, most towns would be on your case if you are over due by a month, let alone four or five years.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

ADP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very sad.

I read an article several years ago on 'elder orphans', older people who have no family or they have outlived all their relatives. Some go off the grid without being noticed and are found dead months or years later without anyone noticing sooner.

It's very easy to live a lifestyle like this especially if you're not well known, have no family and friends, and all your bills are deducted automatically from your bank account.

Nobody like this should be forced to die alone.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
it would be nice to know you had a friend or two that might have checked on you at least one time in the last four years

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Such an astounding situation that it really makes one wonder about the local community, but I can see something like this happening.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
573 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.