Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the generous offer, Claude, however I respectively decline due to the temptation of using milk, raisins, bananas, sugar, honey, cinnamon which apparently could be a sacrilegious act in the southern states. grin

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now, NFG, that is a real good down home story. Dang near got me convinced to try your heart attack receipe.

Wayne

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
You know the old story about a horse and water...besides we need to keep the heart Docs in business and enjoying the Bahamas and the widders new boytoy happy spending the insurance money. Hahahahahah

On second thought...don't even think of trying that good stuff...wouldn't want that to happen to ANYONE...I WAS LYING TOTALLY...I WOULDN'T PUT THAT NASTY STUFF IN MY WORST ENEMY'S MOUTH...nothing but a total fabrication...I don't even KNOW what them grits things is...just a story I heard...I'm having delusions of grandeur...hallucinating...flashbacks from the Haight during the 60's...I lost my mind...forgot who I am...WHERE AM I?...WHAT AM I?...WHO ARE YOU?...WHY?....MOMMMMEEEEEEEEEE.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Well, it seems I made a mistake thinking grits was a breakfast cereal. Glad the fire set me straight so I won't embarrass myself in public should I encounter it again. blush

Grits can be for breakfast and they make a fine supper too. Don't tell nobody but I like butter and brown sugar in mine unless they have bacon/sausage and eggs to go with a bowl of grits.

Quando Omni Moritati
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey just picking, eat them anyway you want, my own daughter born and raised in SC doesn't like them, go figure. At least you are eating them and keeping the farmers busy.

Thanks for the generous offer, Claude, however I respectively decline due to the temptation of using milk, raisins, bananas, sugar, honey, cinnamon which apparently could be a sacrilegious act in the southern states. grin

Wayne

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Recently, my wife and I visited a old Vietnam war buddy and his wife in Valdosta, GA. One morning we went to a restaurant for breakfast and I was encouraged to order some grits. Never had them before and after hearing the phrase "kiss my grits", they did not sound very appetizing.

When served I put some half/half cream on them...not good, put some honey on...better, mixed in some raisins...very good. The only complaint was there was no lumps in the bowl of grits, which is what I like in a bowl of Cream of Wheat.

Can a northern boy make a good bowl of grits?

Haven't read the whole thread, maybe this has been said, but grits are not "oatmeal" or "cream of wheat" they're corn. Grits: real grits, not instant, butter, salt and pepper. It's ok to crumble so sausage or bacon in it, or add cheese. Maybe use to sop up egg yolks. Its not a bowl of cereal. Every yankee I went to basic with at Fort Benning did just as you did with their first bowls of grits.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Recently, my wife and I visited a old Vietnam war buddy and his wife in Valdosta, GA. One morning we went to a restaurant for breakfast and I was encouraged to order some grits. Never had them before and after hearing the phrase "kiss my grits", they did not sound very appetizing.

When served I put some half/half cream on them...not good, put some honey on...better, mixed in some raisins...very good. The only complaint was there was no lumps in the bowl of grits, which is what I like in a bowl of Cream of Wheat.

milk on grits? honey? raisins........only a damn yankee would bastardize a bowl of grits like that. shocked

I have no idea why I thought my late entry here would be the first take like this. LOL

War Damn Eagle!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It's easy. Buy a package of it and follow the instructions, but I always just put salt and butter in mine, then serve them under my lightly fried eggs.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by TexasRick
Grits are part of my favorite breakfast. Add 3 or 4 slices of bacon chopped into 1/4" pieces, couple of soft fried eggs and a chunk of butter......mix and eat!!

I had never had grits until I joined the military. At my first duty station my best friend introduced me to them at a friends house and this is how they made it. One of the best things I ever ate and I still eat them this way to this day.
My grandmother introduced me to it when I was a kid visiting her in Virginia, where she lived most of her life, though she was born in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Georgia. But she always called it mush. I loved it, and made her make it for me whenever I visited thereafter. She just cooked it with salt, and put butter on it. Nothing else.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
As I said earlier, I was a little hesitant to eat grits in the first place being associated with "kiss my grits." grin
That show was not written by a Southerner, or that waitress character would never have popularized that term. Just a Northerner's idea of what a Southerner would say.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I believe grits has a excellent potential to be a great breakfast cereal. Stopped at a food co-op today and bought a 1 lb. bag for $2.99.

Grits, sliced banana and some light cream should be a good way to start the day. smile

Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular

Troll laugh

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RO---You should really take Claude up on his offer to send and receive some real Carolina stone ground grits. Nothing compares!

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe grits has a excellent potential to be a great breakfast cereal. Stopped at a food coop today and bought a 1 lb. bag for $2.99.

Grits, sliced banana and some light cream should be a good way to start the day. smile

Damn yankees!

War Damn Eagle!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I believe grits has a excellent potential to be a great breakfast cereal. Stopped at a food coop today and bought a 1 lb. bag for $2.99.

Take that back. grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously, my wife wants to prepare grits as some of you have suggested. Will be expanding my culinary horizon.

Thanks

Wayne

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was growing up, we usually had red eye gravy with grits. If my mother didn't cook ham, then we had them with butter melted in them. Good either way.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well, whatever you do, do not bother ordering grits at a Cracker Barrel restaurant. I have tried them at several locations and they have no clue as to making a decent pot of grits. They do not not make them with salt or butter, thinking that the customer can add salt to taste. Does not work worth a dang for grits. Salt must be boiled in the water, preferably with a generous portion of butter before stiring in the grits. Then make sure they are cooked long enough until good and soft, making sure they do not get too dry and stick to the bottom of the pot. They are very easy to make, just follow the directions on the box. May be seasoned with pepper if desired. Do not add sugar, syrup, honey, fruit, etc. Do serve with additional butter if desired. Also really good mixed with gravy, crumbled sausage or bacon. Avoid instant grits if possible. They are better than no grits, but a poor substitute. Quick grits do not take very long to cook and the taste is far better.

Being raised in the southern half of Alabama back in the 1960s, my father regularly made me breakfast before taking me to school. He always made a pot of grits. As an occasional treat, sometimes he would add a bit of cheddar cheese to them as they were cooking for cheese grits. Mighty good eating!

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than with butter, salt and pepper, or redeye gravy, or as a "yolk vehicle", or in shrimp and grits, the only other acceptable way to treat grits is deep frying them for Alabama Hot Brown. Grits are stone ground grits made with chicken stock, bacon crumbles, and cheese in them. Poured in a loaf pan, and refrigerated. When they set up, you slice about an inch thick, dredge in buttermilk, and bread crumbs, and deep fry until golden brown. The crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, golden brown grit plank is served topped with thinly sliced smoked turkey, covered in a jalapeno cheese sauce, then topped with sliced tomato, and a couple of slices of crispy hickory smoked bacon.

OUT

OF

THIS

WORLD!

Last edited by .280Rem; 03/02/12.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
280 i got to try that. man that's got me hungry now.

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.