Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have tested a bunch of 3200, 4200 and 6500 scopes since they were introduced. Generally they've been pretty good, but tend to vary even among the same model. This may be due to which factory makes them--or even a difference in the factory. But a lot of scopes vary somewhat in optics, adjustments, etc., though the really expensive brands don't vary much.

I'm always amazed at how many shooters are offended when the edge of the field-of-view of scopes is a little fuzzy. This is a valid criticism of a binocular, but I have yet to find the correct dot of a reticle on the very edge of a scope's view.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

But what does that have to do with hunting during the day?

Nothing. However you go to considerable lengths to report your findings regarding scope performance in poor light don't you ? I believe that you insist that scopes get brighter as you decrease the exit pupil which reduces the amount of light to the users eye. Same concept as fighting a fire with a 2 1/2 line or a garden hose.

Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I believe that you insist that scopes get brighter as you decrease the exit pupil which reduces the amount of light to the users eye. Same concept as fighting a fire with a 2 1/2 line or a garden hose.

I beleive I insist that a scope shows more detail as one turns up the power ring; whether in bright day or low light.

Everyone of the guys who have tried it at my house has come to the same conclusion. MuleDeer and JJHack and I think Jim in Idaho have made the same discovery.

As far as exit pupil I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that exit pupil has very little to do with real world performance. One of our .com friends posted it best. He said a brightly resolved blob is still a blob. In other words a 7X50 that cost $50 will not do as well nlow light as 8X28 that cost $400.

I will again post my comparisons in a differnt thread for the newer folks.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John, I've only owned 6 4200's, all 2.5-10's, so I can't speak for the rest of the line. If there's a difference between them (mine that is) I haven't seen it. I will say that the 4200's seem very slightly better in the optics department, but they all track and hold zero damn near perfect, best I can tell anyway. More than I can say about the brand they replaced. As far as I know, they are still made by Light Optical Works as they were when they were first introduced (as the 4000 series makered Bausch & Lomb) in the mid 90's. I have heard of some dud 6500's early on, but I don't have any experience with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can repeat your findings all you want and that won't change the fact that I cannot repeat your findings and it ain't for lack of trying.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You can repeat your findings all you want and that won't change the fact that I cannot repeat your findings and it ain't for lack of trying.

Post your results so we can see how differnt brands and magnification do.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RD,

Yeah, the 2.5-10x 4200's seem to be pretty consistent, but whether all the parts of all the Elites have been made in the same factories might be a good question. And whether Bushnell is still paying for the same level of maufacture would be another question.

Don't get me wrong. I've tested a lot of good optics labeled Bushnell over the years. Many have been great, but some have been better than others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As far as exit pupil I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that exit pupil has very little to do with real world performance. One of our .com friends posted it best. He said a brightly resolved blob is still a blob.

Ringman sorry but you are a dumba$$. If you are going to use a quote you really should get it right. The quote was "A brightly lit unresolved blob is still an unresolved blob".

And I'm the one who originally said it. It doesn't matter what the light transmission figures of the glass coatings your scope are if you don't have a large enough exit pupil to get enough light to your eye. It doesn't matter how high the resolution of your optics are if you can't get enough light through them. Exit Pupil is a critical factor in a hunting scopes performance......................dj

Last edited by djpaintless; 03/01/12.

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All this raises a new question for Ringman.......Do Seeing Eye dogs spook deer if they wear blaze orange vests.. ?

Sorry it's getting late guys

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
JB
Just as i opened the two new 4200s and found the outside 1/3 to be a little fuzzy a freind pulled in. We spent quite a while looking through them, focusing, adjusting, diff. powers, etc.. He is a Leupold guy but said he was quite impressed with the center 2/3 of the 4200s and that i shouldn't worry about the outside edge as your eye dosen't focus there anyway. Now i know he and you are both right, but once i knew they were that way it drove me buggy, just me i know. Anyway as i said Bushnell fixed them and all is well

Guy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did what you corrected me to say something different to the subject at hand?

Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
[quote]Welcome to the 'fire, ANGCortsair. I hope I can influence you in the proper way to enjoy optics.

Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate your offer.

With my two 4200's, one is 5 years old and the other is the closeout model, I have noticed that they do have some vignetting but nothing you'd notice while shooting. They are very resistant to off-bore light sources unless the source is right behind me. You'd be hard-pressed to find any sub-$500 which doesn't experience the same. Their clarity is excellent. I would put them just a smidge below the Conquest and Minox ZA-5 I own. It takes a while for me to discern any difference between these but there is a difference. Same with light transmission. The RainGuard feature is fantastic. Both of these scopes are on my brushbeater/nasty day rifles and they take abuse and deal with the elements.

I think that your average hunter will be well-equipped for life with a 4200 atop their rifle. You can definitely find better glass out there but not easily for less than $400. At the closeout pricing they're being offered for now the are only rivaled by the Minox open-box pricing that is currently available. Prior to these offers I felt that the $400 Conquests were the best bargain.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did what you corrected me to say something different to the subject at hand?

Nothing much- just correct you by turning your phrase 180� to correct it.

Exit pupil matters, coatings help.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Exit pupil matters only if both optics are the same quality. Read the post about exit pupil and refute it with your camparison information instead of your key board.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as exit pupil I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that exit pupil has very little to do with real world performance.

This is as about as uninformed and ignorant post as someone has made on this forum in quite a while..............................dj

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djpaintless
As far as exit pupil I have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that exit pupil has very little to do with real world performance.

This is as about as uninformed and ignorant post as someone has made on this forum in quite a while..............................dj

Oh c'mon, those little bitty exit pupils are so EASY to get behind...they don't mean anything. wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You guys remind me of religious people and so called science people the Bible discribes as "willfully ignorant". Take a look at the post and tell me where I messed up.

Or do a similar experiment and post your results. Talk is cheap. I have shown many times that exit pupil is not a very good criteria to use when judging optics.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's ok, the first time was more than adequate. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be sad if someone went out and spent their hard earned money on a scope based on Ringman's "testing".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Exit pupil matters only if both optics are the same quality. Read the post about exit pupil and refute it with your camparison information instead of your key board.

For instance -

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...eld_comparision_rifle_scopes#Post3893095

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.