Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
It's not waterproof and needs to be kept in a ziplock bag, but it's quick and easy.

I do the same, but I print on waterproof stock that you can buy at REI or I'm sure other places. It's made by National Geographic and called something catchy like "adventure paper." LOL, they'd probably sell more if they called it "extreme adventure papaer." If you print on both sides, you can cover a pretty large area.

Originally Posted by BrentD
They do help with finding access points and, more importantly, areas with very few access points. But they don't actually say "Elk here". Only to the extent that they reasonably depict forest and open parks and other habitat are they really all that useful.

I'd agree with that. My two best spots were found after doing some map work to find areas with no roads, but they didn't look all that good on the map. I found them walking in, on my way to other spots that "looked much better on the map" but weren't. Elk are where you find them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not to much with Topo maps. I use Google Earth and a lot of scouting throughout the year.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have only been elk hunting once, in 1990, but I used a map a lot. There were not a lot of videos or the internet back then (at least in rural Iowa) but I read every book and magazine article I could get ahold of. I bought topo maps of the area and marked potential spots on them. The first elk I saw was on one of my "x's", which made the whole trip for me, however, the elk I shot was at an unmarked wallow that is now marked on my map. I just thought it was cool that my kitchen table scouting in Iowa really helped with a hunt in Wyoming. Since I hope to elk hunt again in a year or two I am trying to learn my mapping gps better, but I will still have maps and a compass with me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like studying maps. But I don't know how much it's helped me really. Just have to find them and know where the private property is.

Steve

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I usually buy the ones for a certain area if I have not been to it previously.Once I know the area, I seldom use them again.

I don't rely on Googel Earth etc to much, as things change. If I am interested in an area, I go there to check it out prior to hunting it.

Back when you could order from USGS for 50 cents a map I had large collection of New Mexico. I gave them away when I left there.Now a t$10 apop,I am a little more selective.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never found that Google Earth changes in my hunting areas. Which would be high altitude remote areas.

My main concerns are where are creeks, open areas, timber areas, old logging rods that aren't used anymore, and especially altitude changes. Just running the mouse over an area you can instantly see the altitude changes. The faster it changes, the steeper it is. This is most important to an old man like me. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
I've never found that Google Earth changes in my hunting areas. Which would be high altitude remote areas.

One of the areas would be NW Colo where all then wells are being put in. What once was good deer country is now filled with well heads and roads.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I wouldn't trust GE where man is involved. I avoid those areas. Last year I only saw one other hunter, and he looked lost. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CP
Railroad right-of �ways are private property, and since 9/11, just walking along the tracks can lead to some difficult conversations with the authorities. CP.

In most states they are not posted properly.

I use topos, but more and more I use the satellite photos here on the internet. when we were invited to Washington I did some looking, and showed up in camp with pictures of the two areas our experienced hosts pointed us to.

You should not overlook any tool to help you in your pre hunt preparation.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use all sorts of maps but mostly topo. For those wanting a cool software program to help get the lay of the land and has the ability to view topo and color and B/W aerial photos, check out TopoFusion. It has the capability to do 3-d modeling, downloading GPS points/tracks, and toher cool things. The free version is very usable.

This time of year is the time I spend crafting new entrance/exit and doing pre-scouting of new areas. I spend alot of time looking over maps and then follow up with on the ground confirmation.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Last year and the year before I drew a bull tag and cow tag in Wyoming, both ares I had never hunted before. I bought forest maps primarily for land status, talked to the Fish and Game guys and spent hours on Google Earth. I killed a bull in one one of the areas I had written down the GPS coordinates for. Last year our three cows were killed in a little basin a couple of miles in. Nothing beats first hand knowledge but maps and GE can save a lot of miles, and days.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
It's not waterproof and needs to be kept in a ziplock bag, but it's quick and easy.

I do the same, but I print on waterproof stock that you can buy at REI or I'm sure other places. It's made by National Geographic and called something catchy like "adventure paper." LOL, they'd probably sell more if they called it "extreme adventure papaer." If you print on both sides, you can cover a pretty large area.

Originally Posted by BrentD
They do help with finding access points and, more importantly, areas with very few access points. But they don't actually say "Elk here". Only to the extent that they reasonably depict forest and open parks and other habitat are they really all that useful.

I'd agree with that. My two best spots were found after doing some map work to find areas with no roads, but they didn't look all that good on the map. I found them walking in, on my way to other spots that "looked much better on the map" but weren't. Elk are where you find them.
They'd sell by the truckload if they called it TACTICAL paper.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff and I use a roadmap, then shoot from the truck. Foxworthy, in case you were wondering...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In the last year, Google Earth and Google Maps have reshot much of Idaho and the resolution is infinitely better. Until then, both were fairly useless except for getting a general idea of what the land looks like. Now you can see individual animals in the fields, etc. By using GE together with topo maps, you can really see what's there.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Last year and the year before I drew a bull tag and cow tag in Wyoming, both ares I had never hunted before. I bought forest maps primarily for land status, talked to the Fish and Game guys and spent hours on Google Earth. I killed a bull in one one of the areas I had written down the GPS coordinates for. Last year our three cows were killed in a little basin a couple of miles in. Nothing beats first hand knowledge but maps and GE can save a lot of miles, and days.

I completely agree with that. Pre-season and/or pre-trip topographical map study and land ownership map study has saved me a lot of time and put me on some great hunting across North America. Can't stress enough the importance of good map interpretation skills.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A man once told me; It's not an adventure if you have a map.
I haven't seen him in a while.

There are no bad days hunting elk, some are just better.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A map is like a 4x4 truck. It enables you to get into a lot more places where you have no business going. A 4x4 will get you stuck beyond belief and a map will give you false confidence in your ability to find your way home.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A map is like a 4x4 truck. It enables you to get into a lot more places where you have no business going. A 4x4 will get you stuck beyond belief and a map will give you false confidence in your ability to find your way home.

I always hang my maps up down in the stalls and let the mules study them a bit.Then let the mules find my way back to the camp.Seems to work, but letting them watch training tapes on the VCR/TV does not. grin

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by pka45
I look at maps like some guys look at dirty magazines!

+1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Myself and the guys I hunt with use a combination of topo maps and Google Earth when planning our hunts. Personally, I always take a compass with me while hunting but I usually rely on my GPS with map software that shows public and private land, water sources and a bunch of other helpful features. I especially like the public trails info that my GPS topo maps provides. Sure came in handy on last year CO elk hunt.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
151 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.