Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Made it down to the River and back.We caught 50 head and 49 made it to San Angelo to the packer.Not a brand or earmark to be seen.The cattle were fat as town dogs and wild as deer.

We caught about 30 of 'em wholesale[the helicopter ran them into a well hidden pen we built the first day].We got from 5 to 8 at a time that way over a three day period.

The rest were taken retail fashion[driving onto greasewood flats where the cowboys could rope and tie them}.These were mostly bulls.

A lot of my pictures didn't turn out for some reason , but maybe I have enough to give y'all an idea of how it all works.

The helicopter eases them out of the draws onto a flat where the cowboys are hidden downwind:

[Linked Image]

The cowboys ride onto 'em and rope 'em.They head and heel if there are enough cowboys to go around,if not,they rope and trip them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Either way, you wind up with this:

[Linked Image]

then he goes on here:

[Linked Image]

To wind up here:

[Linked Image]

More later.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a whole lot of fun.

The original international turd
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a little different than how it works up here....grin

Those big older bulls must try to stand their ground most of the time or do they try and run for awhile?

Those guys better know what they're doing and it looks like they do!

Great pics Curdog, very interesting!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Damn hard way to make a livin' I am thinking!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yee-haw....what a blast.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whatcha doin messin with my cattle!!!! JK..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Them's my cattle. I don't mark or brand but I do pull all their top teeth. Look in their mouth and if you don't see no front teeth they are mine.

Quando Omni Moritati
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
shocked

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Them's my cattle. I don't mark or brand but I do pull all their top teeth. Look in their mouth and if you don't see no front teeth they are mine.

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
That is a little different than how it works up here....grin

Those big older bulls must try to stand their ground most of the time or do they try and run for awhile?

Those guys better know what they're doing and it looks like they do!

Great pics Curdog, very interesting!

These "cowboys" - most are ranchers and their family members - all are used to working in this kind of country, but their cattle are not as wild.This same bunch,for the most part, have been coming down to the WMA and catching these wild ones for about 14 years.

A couple of the older bulls had probably been roped before and escaped.They quit when the first rope hit their horns,and couldn't be heeled or tripped.Even with 4 ropes on him,one fought so long and hard that he choked down and then died.Probably weighed around 1700 or 1800 lbs. according to the ones who would know.

The pilot is extremly good at this.He has the bull so focused on the helicopter that he can bring him right by the cowboys at top speed so that when they trip him,it really takes his wind for a minute or two

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good time to be working there. If they have a wet spring, I will get over there just to see the country in bloom again--pretty spectacular when it happens!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
about the same way they wrangle mustangs here. 80 head is a pretty good count. how big an area did you cover?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like a hell of a time! I'm looking forward to more pics.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've caught a few wild steers over the years with a slight variation on this theme, minus the chopper. Involves roping the critter with an atv, then dragging said critter onto a livestock trailer. Sucessful execution involves bailing out the front door of the trailer before the steer gets payback... Risk probably exceedes reward here, but lots of fun.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd like to know what those cattle do coming out of that trailer into the pens at the packer.

Gotta be some dark cutters. laugh

Looks like a lot of work, but would love to see how those guys do it.

Any video?

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
is that up in the panhandle ??

looks like a blast cool

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
South border I believe.

Y'all run any illegals into those pens CD?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ain't mistook it is right next to Big Bend NP.

Quando Omni Moritati
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by mudhen
Good time to be working there. If they have a wet spring, I will get over there just to see the country in bloom again--pretty spectacular when it happens!
Pretty rare to see that Spanish Dagger dying from drought as in pic. 3. It's not looking good Mudhen.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/02/12.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by curdog4570
A couple of the older bulls had probably been roped before and escaped.They quit when the first rope hit their horns,and couldn't be heeled or tripped.Even with 4 ropes on him,one fought so long and hard that he choked down and then died.Probably weighed around 1700 or 1800 lbs. according to the ones who would know.

Oh yeah, I bet 1700lbs on a mature bull. Most of the big canner bulls here are around 2000lbs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 677 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.