24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering the lifetime warranty, the awarding of government contracts [DEA and FBI], and the custom features [standard on the guns], I'd really look alittle harder at the RRA gun. They give you alot of gun for the money.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
ARIC

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Im not counting them out by any means, just weighin out my options first

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Most bang for the buck straight from the factory is RRA IMHO.

The Bushy generally shoot real well from what I have seen too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by navyman20
looking at getting one of these or the dpms praire panther in camo for a coyote, hog,fun, defense gun...want to be able to do some decent range plinking, and plan to put a bushnell elite tactical 5-15 scope on it with the burris pepr mount..but the actual gun is where im on the fence..looked at rra, but they are a lil out of the price i wanna pay...and around here ive seen lots of r15's in the 6-800$ range..so how are they in terms of accuracy and reliability? i plan to change out the buttshock, grip, and other minor things along the road to suit my needs, but the gun itself i want to be accurate and dependable..any reviews are appreciated! and if you got pics of yours set up for varmint hunting post some pics up so i can get a better idea of the finished product..thanks fellas
Brian

I cannot say I would ever buy a DPMS, a remington R15, or another bushmaster (fool me once). I also have had a RRA, it was an OK rifle, carrier key was not staked from the factory in mine, and (M4 pattern) was not overly accurate, it went bang every time however. In barrels that say 5.56 chamber you can add a few more grains of powder due to longer throat and they are rated to 60K CUP vs 50 for the .223, look at Barnes bullets website they list separate loads for .223 and 5.56. I would understand what chamber they are talking about before you buy it, for instance WOA uses a wylde chamber which is supposed to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223. If its a .223 only chamber I would not know if I could shoot milsurp ammo in it. I guess a 1-8 is fine, my barrels are all 1-7 now, it just turned out that way as they are also all 5.56 chambers.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not having any problems with my unmodified R-15 it shoots nice. Magnum man

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man

how do u have yours set up? what bullets does it like?

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So far I've used a lot of bulk 55 gr FMJ and 55gr Hornady SP's with H335 and some TAC. Commercial 223 as well as military brass it doesn't seem at all fussy to brand but I don't mix them and you need to keep them trimmed below max lgth,that's for sure.I will be working on some heavier bullet loads this spring.I did add one of those little rubber cushions between the upper and lower. I have a red dot for it but mostly use a 4 x14x in real tall rings. It doesn't seem to have a magazine preference either but I do. I'll grab GI 20 rounders any day, damn 30's are pain in the butt. I also just use regular RCBS dies. Cabelas has a deal tommorrow AM for GI 62 gr Green tip. I am going to pick some up for a reference. I will try some loads using the 64 gr WW Powerpoint and 63 gr Sierra bullets also. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 03/02/12.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
i was planning to try some of the bulk hornady vmax 55s cabelas has been selling as a good priced plinker and hunting round when i had the option to...but its good to hear that its not an overly picky gun

CM2(scw) USN Seabees
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man

You shooting much milsurp in it? I have no idea what the chamber is in the rifle but if its a wylde chamber then 5.56 would work. Do they chrome the bore and chamber, is it nitrited (melonite) or just bare metal like in their 7400?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
jimmyp ,to date all the ammo I've shot thru it has been my 223 handloads using either commercial brass or GI. The barrel says it's a 223 Rem 1/9 twist 22" chrome moly,I did not see any reference in the Remington catalog from 2008 to having a chromed chamber or bore or any mentioning of a nitride job either.Remington had Bushmaster make the guns for them. Remington sure tried to distance the R-15 VTR from being classed as a "black rifle" to me they are all AR platform guns period. Some will disagree but if it has a failing, it is the no provision for a BUIS frt sight.When I got it I thought this would take care of my AR needs but was wrong.I continually find myself handling the the shorter barrelled carbines with a collapseable stock,flattopped, picatinny rail on the gas block for BUIS. Looking for a behind the seat portability in a short pkg.Owning multiple guns seems to be an life long addiction for me. I quit fighting it too. Magnum Man

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All 4 R15s I had were very, very accurate and the one I kept, 18" bbl, CS, I put a 3lb timney trigger in it since its pretty light shoots my coyote load of a 50g vmax into .500-.630" @ 100 yds.
You cant go wrong with the R15 & the only bad is the stock trigger and thats an easy fix.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5spd
All 4 R15s I had were very, very accurate and the one I kept, 18" bbl, CS, I put a 3lb timney trigger in it since its pretty light shoots my coyote load of a 50g vmax into .500-.630" @ 100 yds.
You cant go wrong with the R15 & the only bad is the stock trigger and thats an easy fix.

So buy a gun with a good trigger from the get go. You get what you pay for, and the R-15, DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W M&P 15, etc are entry level guns. Better made guns come with good triggers, good warranties, and don't need anything but a scope and ammo. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 R15s one rifle 22" barrel and a carbine 18" barrel with the adjustable butt stock. They both shoot under an inch with most loads I've shot.I use 50 gr Ballistic tips and VVN133. Kills coyotes.I like the carbine with the short barrel and the stock can be set where you want it for the position you're in while calling. I've had good luck with different brand ARs too,you can get junk from any of the makers. Do all the different makers, make their own uppers and lowers? No! The parts are basicly all the same (except for aftermarket triggers and barrels) Yes you can nit pick if you want. I know everyone has one that will shoot 1/4 inch all day long but, I have yet to see one at any benchrest matches.
Get what makes you happy and enjoy it.
MB

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The R-15 is Bushmaster,The R-25(AR-10) is DPMS.
Originally Posted by tundraotto
Agreed on the previous post on the R-15 being a Bushmaster. I think DPMS used to make them for Remington at one time. Anyway if you want a R-15 I suggest you save yourself some money and buy the Bushmaster from Wal-Mart....

"Not everything you read on the internet is true." Abraham Lincoln.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

So buy a gun with a good trigger from the get go. You get what you pay for, and the R-15, DPMS, Bushmaster, S&W M&P 15, etc are entry level guns. Better made guns come with good triggers, good warranties, and don't need anything but a scope and ammo. wink

I have nothing against RRA rifles, the ones I have owned have all shot well. However, I wouldn't buy one for the trigger. Their triggers are known to have issues and a quick Google search will confirm that. Buy what you want but do yourself a favor and put a Geissele trigger in it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NHOGHVN

I have nothing against RRA rifles, the ones I have owned have all shot well. However, I wouldn't buy one for the trigger. Their triggers are known to have issues and a quick Google search will confirm that. Buy what you want but do yourself a favor and put a Geissele trigger in it.

I have never heard anyone who has actually owned a RRA gun complain about the trigger in any way. Anyone can post anything on the 'net and folks will believe it as the truth.

I didn't buy my RRA for the trigger, but having a nice crisp clean 3.5 pound trigger pull from the factory sure is nice. The trigger is just one of the pieces offered that makes them a good buy in the AR market place. Lapped barrels, hogue grips, lifetime warranties, accuracy standards, customer service, available options and models, and price, all factored into my purchases.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How much does RR pay you?

wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by NHOGHVN

I own both triggers and like both. There are reported failures on the net of the fixed pin in the RR trigger. The easy fix is to replace the pin with a piece of drill rod of the same diameter, cut the length of the inside to inside distance between the reciever sides. This can't break or fall out.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use a SS pin to "upgrade" all of mine.
[Linked Image]
I like their triggers and their SS barrels are pretty accurate but I hate the cheapness they wrap it all up with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
How much does RR pay you?

wink
laugh laugh laugh

I wish I was getting something from someone. Gun stuff if expensive. grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 88 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.