Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
great picture, mudhen!

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Die where?

If you punch the lungs of an Elk with a 45-70 hard cast,you have punched the lungs with a ..459/.460 bullet for the most part..If you punch the lungs with a .223 Federal Fusion,you punched the lungs with a .54 caliber expanded bullet.

Which is better?

Jayco

I will take the 45-70 and leave the 223 where it belongs. With the prairie dogs.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kbruce
Originally Posted by deflave
So, if I were to read your post and reply thats you are a lifeless, [bleep], douche bag, I would be "manning up"?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

Travis
AMEN!

It wasn't a prayer nitwit.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by mudhen
My nephew's son Grant got to go on an elk hunt provided by the Trinity Oaks Foundation (he is a two-time survivor of gliobastoma, a very malignant brain cancer). I thought that this photo would be appropriate in this thread. The AR 15 that he used is one that he built while in quarantine with parts donated by the men and women over on the AR website.

[Linked Image]

That is nothing short of just cool...Any story that goes with it.

Thanks for the photo and the fine young hunter.

Jayco

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
That is a great story of the kid and the elk. I hope there are MANY more elk in his future!!!! As for the .223, I guess we will all wake up one day and that is the only cartridge that we will use. It does everythig so well. I can't wait.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I guess we will all wake up one day and that is the only cartridge that we will use. It does everythig so well. I can't wait.

the future isn't here yet...for now, the .223AI fills that bill.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Must be an out west thing. I only know of one guy that has one of those. I guess we are still in the dark ages down here. Heck, I still hunt with a 30.30!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funniest thing is absolutely no one in this thread has recommended the .223 as a general purpose elk round.

Some here have found the idea of using a .223 to kill an elk as akin to scaling Mount Everest and some have found the idea interesting in a limited range added challenge method of hunting.

Interesting also that those who seem to have the most actual elk killing real world experience seem to also be the least daunted in the concept of actually killing an elk with said .223. Is there a lesson hiding in the responses??

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If they want a challenge. Use an elk gun, and take the scope off.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why? there are much better cartridges for elk. I suppose one could kill an Elephant with a 22LR if life was perfect. For myself I'll use something else. I was "given" a .223 as part of my daily outfit for over 20 years, and yes they do and will work for what they were designed to do. For Elk why?

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I would dislike to be hit by one but hit right whould I now?

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Interesting also that those who seem to have the most actual elk killing real world experience seem to also be the least daunted in the concept of actually killing an elk with said .223. Is there a lesson hiding in the responses??

Lil John

We know it can or anyone that has hunted very long,should know that.My only problem using the .223 exclusively for Elk this year is the possibility of having to pass on a non typical shot we get thrown at us at times like you mentioned,the dreaded shoulder shot..I have seen it where that was the only shot in thick timber and I would probably pass with the .223.

I'm a go and it's time to start working up loads.Passing is easy for old guys because if you pass,you don't have to pack 'em out. grin

Elk hunting doesn't mean to me what it once did..I just enjoy getting out with my kids and family.

Jayco

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well gee Logcutter, As long as you are setting the stage for the creation of a monument to your elk hunting and killing ability. I for one don't want to see it unless it's got 375 minimum bone on its head. Yeah and make sure your left arm is broken but casted as well as your right leg and that you are recovering from a nasty case of the clap at the same time caused by hero worship from the local b girls. Geez cain't believe dis sh*t.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mudhen, that has to be the best pic I've seen in a long time. Sure hope that young man gets to have many a great hunt in his future.

He looks like a real trooper and a great hunting buddy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Now that's cool! Good for him!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
This is a heck of a testimonial of the .223 on Elk.To bad it was a poacher....

JACKSON MAN CHARGED WITH FELONY AND 11 MISDEMEANORS FOR POACHING 11 ELK

JACKSON � One felony and 11 misdemeanor charges have been filed against a Jackson man for allegedly killing 11 elk Nov. 24, 2003 in the Gros Ventre River drainage northeast of Jackson. Elliot Hudson, 20, could serve up to 21 years in prison and jail if given the maximum combined sentence for the 12 charges.

This poaching incident that unfolded near the Red Hills campground is one of the most egregious Jackson Game and Fish Department officers have ever experienced. At noon that day, a nearby witness heard several rifle shots and saw 13 elk, three of which were wounded, running from an area where he had seen a dark green Jeep Cherokee. The individual reported the incident to G&F officials who found Hudson and his Jeep Cherokee at the scene.

Jackson Game Warden Bill Long found several .223 caliber shells on the ground and 11 dead elk within 35 to 150 yards of the road.

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by logcutter
This is a heck of a testimonial of the .223 on Elk.To bad it was a poacher....

JACKSON MAN CHARGED WITH FELONY AND 11 MISDEMEANORS FOR POACHING 11 ELK

JACKSON � One felony and 11 misdemeanor charges have been filed against a Jackson man for allegedly killing 11 elk Nov. 24, 2003 in the Gros Ventre River drainage northeast of Jackson. Elliot Hudson, 20, could serve up to 21 years in prison and jail if given the maximum combined sentence for the 12 charges.

This poaching incident that unfolded near the Red Hills campground is one of the most egregious Jackson Game and Fish Department officers have ever experienced. At noon that day, a nearby witness heard several rifle shots and saw 13 elk, three of which were wounded, running from an area where he had seen a dark green Jeep Cherokee. The individual reported the incident to G&F officials who found Hudson and his Jeep Cherokee at the scene.

Jackson Game Warden Bill Long found several .223 caliber shells on the ground and 11 dead elk within 35 to 150 yards of the road.

Jayco

Three that were wounded says it all. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 03/05/12.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
My gawd..What rifle "Won't" wound an Elk?

Jayco

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Some do it easier than others.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I think everyone focus's on .22,not the expanded width after impact...You show me penetration for your .50 round ball into ballistic gel that exceeds 16"...Show me....

This is 5 Federal Fusions(.223) shot into ballistic gel and penetrated 15" with an expansion to .54 caliber.The .458(out of a 450 Marlin) 400 grain Swift A-frame only penetrated 17".

[Linked Image]

Show me some data on muzzleloader penetration depth with a .490 ish round ball.

Jayco

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,791 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.