Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good advice from everyone. Again, thanks.

I really appreciate folks taking the time to explain what I'm supposed to see when the gun is shouldered, that helps.

I'm in no hurry to make this purchase. I'll certainly take the time to talk to folks at the local skeet club. Maybe they'll let a stranger like me shoot their guns for a few rounds smile

Anyone know of any retail gun clubs in the Phoenix area that allow you to rent and try out a variety of their shotguns for some range time prior to purchase, just as some gun club businesses do with their handguns? None of the T&S clubs I've checked into thus far will do this for shotguns.

Jog: I can appreciate the advantages of a semi-auto. I just can't warm up to them, and I'm not a serious enough shotgunner to ignore my personal preferences (aka idiosyncrasies) and focus strictly on functionality. Seems quirky and foolish, no doubt. But that's just me being me.

GB1

Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue

Most any other forum dedicated to the sport you probably would get advice that for someone new, the first choice should be too learn the basics and fundamentals of the game before worrying about what specific piece of equipment you play with.

But with shooting in America? Nope, you need this or that. Practice, acquired knowledge and experience take a backseat to equipment, and the worst thing is most are serious in believing that is the way to go.

Agreed. I can understand the casual approach (buy what you like, then get some experience) for casual plinking (i.e., "fun guns"). This obviously assumes safe gun handling is already known.

For a guy like me who shoots a few birds a year and is going to drop $2K on a new shotgun, I can see the justification for acquiring more knowlege and experience before the purchase. 2K is a lot of money, missed birds are annoying, and wounded ones are worse.

Where the casual approach seems truly out-of-place (to me) is when someone is looking for suggestions for a concealed carry/self defense gun. How many of us are readily willing to suggest a certain brand of 1911, etc., rather than strongly suggest they get more experience and training first? I'll bet I've made that error a time or two.

Last edited by Armen; 03/04/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.