Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
338WIN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Picked up these two tents for next to nothing and set them up today. Sharing with the class!!
Similar target users, different ways to get there. The Kelty is simpler and sleeker. While seemingly easier to pitch, by the time it is all tied down and pitched tight enough to get separation between the tent and the fly it is more finicky.
The Walrus has a "hub" that ties the three poles together at the top and leaves them in the sleeves. Clever and pretty simple. Lots of nice touches in the Walrus. A gear pocket in every corner. The narrow end of the tent actually uses about a two foot pole through fabric to create a rigid shelf above your feet. It has loops for a clothesline and plenty of screening for air flow. The fly has plenty of room to "breath" and with the igloo like vestibule should stay dry with a little forethought to the direction of the wind. Looks like it must have had some sort of optional "awning." Three snaps over the opening.
Both weigh in at 5lbs. Both are right at 38 ft. sq. and I'm 6'7" and can fit in the longest portion of each, barely! Could use either one, will ring them both out over spring and summer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 338WIN; 03/04/12.
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

338WIN:

Some people have all the luck.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have one just like that Kelty- good tent!

I have used and still have a Kelty about identical to that one- same shape, same colors and everything- mine is called a Kelty "Ultralight Windfoil". It weighs right about 4.5 lbs.

I first got it in 1994 for my oldest Son and I to backpack archery hunt with. I have used it for years for quick set up truck camp when changing locations a lot. I also have loaned to all of my kids to use and abuse when they needed a tent to go on trips with school and friends. It has held up well and is pretty darn tough for a tent that is not real heavy. It just keeps on ticking.

It is very well made and has held up to adverse weather when pitched right and in the right spots. I would not hesitate to use it as a 3+ season tent below timberline.

338WIN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Llama2, thanks for the good report on the Kelty. Looks like it has the right setup to ventilate and it sounds like it is as bulletproof as I hoped.

I see you are in the McKenzie Valley. What a great place to live and it must be a great jump off point to most of Oregon's adventure places.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.