Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have only used a std Speer 240 gr semi jacketed flat point.Used it in a 44 mag marlin carbine though ,but it killed the elk,one shot, DRT. Only a sampling of one though.
Ditto with a 45-70, same typeof bullet,only 400 gr.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I get most of my deer here, bow and handgun, by still hunting. I just cant seem to sit still in a treestand anymore. I'm good for about 15minutes, then cant stop fidgeting so I get down and do some slow walking/still hunting. Sure I see flags, but as I said.....it aint about the killing anymore.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I have only used a std Speer 240 gr semi jacketed flat point.Used it in a 44 mag marlin carbine though ,but it killed the elk,one shot, DRT. Only a sampling of one though.
Ditto with a 45-70, same typeof bullet,only 400 gr.

Thank you!

You mentioned Speer bullets a while back and on the recommendation I tried a box in .223, and really like them!
I can't remember why I quit using them?

Is there a considerable difference for big-game (elk) or personal defence, between the JHPs or JSPs ?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"Is there a considerable difference for big-game (elk) or personal defence, between the JHPs or JSPs ?"

I can't say as I have never shot anyone.I use HP in my carry guns though. I don't think its going to make much difference if you put a 44 or 45 cal hole thru a human though if it is a JHP or JFP.
Lot'as experts on here though that will give about a gazillion different opinions.

Rob. Load up them ponies and come out some year to tag along. Might not find any elk, but the possibility is good.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/07/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Rob. Load up them ponies and come out some year to tag along. Might not find any elk, but the possibility is good.

You know!!!!! I just might take you up on that sometime. I would love to see that part of the country!!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Haven't hunted elk with one, but I did take a black bear near Aspen with my .44 mag shooting 320 gr hardcast bullets with gas checks. My chrono said 1320 fps. The bear weighed over 500 pounds and made the B&C record book. I shot him at 10 paces and two bullets went through him end to end. I practiced a lot out to 100 yards and wouldn't have hesitated to use that load on elk.

M
MJS Offline
M
Most do not consider this a handgun - more of a hand cannon - but I have killed an elk at 200 yards with a Thompson Center handgun in .30 Cooper Express with a 150 grain TSX. The barrel is 15 inches and I shot off a Harris Bipod stuck firmly in a Wyoming snow bank.

I first glassed a high windswept ridge from a BLM road and spotted a small group of elk bedded below the ridge. I drove around the other side of the ridge and parked. After climbing for 2 hours I came to the same ridge and began to slowly peak over the ridge top. I moved into the wind three more times easing my way down the ridge. I peaked over the top and they were bedded 80 yards away. I eased the bipod into the snow bank and lined up on the lead cow bedded below. I squeezed off the trigger and missed high. The small herd took off to the left and stopped about 200 yards away unsure of the direction the danger came from. I scramled along the top of the ridge in knee deep snow until I had a good site picture again. The elk were slowly milling around as the high clouds swirled around with the sun shining brightly. The scene seemed almost surreal. I reset the bipod and lined up the the lead cow again. As I squeezed off the shot at 200 yards I heard a loud "swack" and the cow started tumbling down the ridge.

A memorable moment. The TC single shot hand gun is more of like a rifle if you can get a good rest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
I hear a lot about stout cast-bullets , it would seem you could get a lot more powder behind a jacked bullet?

One of the advantages of the cast bullets is that they can be safely driven faster than a jacketed bullet. I'm sure a jacketed 300 grain HP will kill, but the large meplat on the LBT type bullets will also destroy a lot of tissue. I like the 300 grain LFNGC in my 45 Colt at about 1200 fps. But I have not shot any large game with it yet. Wouldn't hesitate to use it on anything in NA.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/50...meter-300-grain-semi-wadcutter-gas-check

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...0-diameter-310-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

either of these bullets sized .430 and lubed correctly works very effectively on deer & hogs if loaded over 20 grains of h110 and cast from 95% wheel weights and 5% pure tin and cast hot enough to look partly frosted, then dropped in a 5 gallon bucket of water.
Ive done that for years

Last edited by 340mag; 03/10/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In 2009 I shot a cow at 25 yards with a 300 Weatherby, good thing it had a 2x7 scope then. On that day I wondered why didn't I bring a .44 instead.
Last year I couldn't shoot one at 40 yards because I put a 4x12 on the Weatherby and couldn't put the scope on the cow that close, so she ran away while I was fiddling with magnification. Later found more at 200 yards and filled the freezer. But if I kept hunting there'd be a good chance I'd run into one up close again. Colorado Unit 12.
I keep thinking I should try hunting with a .44. I'd pass some shots but on the other hand, there'd be some pleasure in not having to glass every ridge 800 yards out. Could just walk until I find some close.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Western hunting seems soooo much different than what we do in the Northeast

Rob, I grew up hunting whitetails too, and now that I live in elk country it seems the biggest difference is the effect of hunting pressure. When other hunters are around, whitetails will go nocturnal in the thick stuff. But with elk, seems like hunting pressure tends to move them around more. Sometimes I like to hunt where I'm hearing shots around me.

The last three elk I've killed have been under 75 yards, so I'm thinking about trying with a revolver soon. Not as a stunt, it's just lugging a rifle and pack up and down over hilly country all day seems to get less fun every year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.