Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
If so what did you think of it ?
Also see that its parralax is set for 75 yards and wondering how big a difference that would make on a centerfire rifle with lets say a 250 yard shot?

Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not the 1-4x20, but I've used the 2-7x33 shotgun scopes in Vari-X IIc, VX1, and Rifleman formats on CF rifles and have never noticed that the 75 yard parallex setting made a difference. IIRC, Leupold will reset the parallex for a nominal fee.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used one on a MK X Alaskan in 458 for several years and loved the scope. It went when I sold the 458. I wish I had kept the scope. frown

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I use one on my turkey shotgun. I have an extended extra full choke and with some of the loads available these days, the pattern is so tight under 15 yards, it would be easy to miss a gobbler. (I 'cheated' when I mounted it and sighted in- using slugs to center the reticle and then verifying by shooting about a half box of trap loads into paper at 15 yards and checking that the center of the "hole" would be centered inthe reticle. It was and is. Great glass, very visible in low light, and tough as a hammr (almost! :-) )

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not the VX1, but I bought a used leupie back in 2004. It was the 1-4x shotgun scope, with the heavy duplex crosshairs. I mounted it on my 1895 Marlin GG, 45-70. That scope/gun combo has killed me hogs, bears, and 7 head of African plains game, in RSA, in 2008. Last year, I mounted it on my Ruger No. 1 375 H&H, and took it to Zimbabwe, where I shot cape buff and tuskless elephant, with that combo.

Yes, I love the scope! grin The longest shot, was on a Texas porker. It was a lazered 187 yds. 1 shot, DRT.

maddog

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcraig
If so what did you think of it ?
Also see that its parralax is set for 75 yards and wondering how big a difference that would make on a centerfire rifle with lets say a 250 yard shot?

Craig

The best kept secret Leupold has is that 1-4x20 shotgun scope. I have four of them and all are very useable. I think the new ones (VX 1) are click adjustments and updated multi coated lenses as well. My four (VX I) are not but are still a great scope for the bucks spent. Would definately buy again and the parralax is not a problem in my experiences.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've got one with a heavy duplex and it is a great scope. I haven't shot it at extended range but it is clear and I'm able to shoot tight groups even with the thicker reticle. That fact that it is so light and compact with huge eye relief and field of view makes it a great package.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had one (1-4x20 VXI) on a 30-06 but never hunted with it much. It is the turkey plex, but was able to shoot some groups at 100 yards that were under 1". Sold that rifle and so the scope was just sitting on the shelf but tonight put it on another 30-06 and was surprised at how well I liked it. Have been thinking about buying a 3X20 but after mounting the 1-4 I am reconsidering.

It was sent back to Leupold because the power ring was quite stiff and it came back a little better. But in Talleys on my 9.3x62, the ring stiffens up. I've had trouble with scopes shifting in those mounts on the 9.3x62 and have better luck with 20 inch-pounds of torque on the ring screws. Less than that scopes shift under recoil. The little Leupold doesn't seem to like that combination of rings and torque. This is not true on on a different rifle with different mounts.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one on a Ruger RSI Mannlicher in 308Win. Heavy duplex takes some getting used to as its heavy for precision work. But boy oh boy, its great for hunting use!
Cheers...
Con

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Folks, a little tip on mounting scopes on harder kicking rifles. Go to your sports store and get a bag of powdered resin. A friend gave me a few ounces several years ago. I dip a toothpick in the container, coat the inside of the rings lightly, then use normal torque. That stuff grabs! It is also useful on screws that you want to stay in place. (screw and hole need to be free of oil at instillation.) Much less messy than loctite and easier to remove if needed. It doesn't take much and it works. That lets your reticle dials work freely. Good luck, jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/06/12.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have one on a old Marlin .45/70. Works great in that application.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I bought one a couple years back and ended up sending it back because my Weaver K-2.5's blow it's doors off in every way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I bought one a couple years back and ended up sending it back because my Weaver K-2.5's blow it's doors off in every way.

I've had the K 2.5 and the V3 and also the 1-4 Leupy and like the Leupy better for the increased magnification. All three are clear scopes, but the Weavers were not heads and tails better than the Leupold. And my doors are still on! YMMV

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I compared the Leupold to every modern scope I own under every condition imaginable for over a week before sending it back. It was the worst of any for resolution/image quality and far behind the K-2.5's in that regard. It also was the first to become unusable under fading light in the evening. Even my 20+ yr. old 4X Bushnell Banner trounced it soundly in every way {Leupold set on 4x for comparison}. The Leupold failed miserably to impress in any way whatsoever. Overpriced junk IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I compared the Leupold to every modern scope I own under every condition imaginable for over a week before sending it back. It was the worst of any for resolution/image quality and far behind the K-2.5's. It also was the first to become unusable under fading light in the evening. Even my 20+ yr. old 4X Bushnell Banner trounced it soundly in every way {Leupold set on 4x for comparison}. The Leupold failed to impress me in any way. Overpriced junk IMO.

Fair enough, but my experience with the same scopes has been little difference in optic quality, more eye relief on the Leupold, and more magnification. When it gets dark, I return to camp so hunting in the dark is a non issue for me. My Leupold 20mm scopes while not great are ok for my hunting situations. You entered a Bushnell scope into the picture now, I thought we were comparing Weaver 20mm with Leupold 20mm. I have other brands of scopes as well but I thought we were discussing the Weaver and Leupold. So I will leave it at my opinion being just as irrelavent as yours and won't refer to your choices as junk. Cheers....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great tip, jt, and thanks! wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.