Leica Sport Optics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6233616 - 02/28/12 07:21 PM lets talk Steelhead...
ironeagle_84 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: grants pass, oregon
i mostly use a worm and corky setup when i fish for steelhead.

i normally run a 24-36" leader attached to a snap swivel, and the swivel is connected to my main line.

the weight i use depends on the current i am fishing, but i use the slinker type of weight. i can post pics of this if anyone has any questions.

what i would like to know is how you other steelhead guys use yarn, or glow bugs. i normally just tie the bug onto my normal rig and drift it through the water with an appropriately colored corky.

so, what is the setup you go with? can you post pics? i am having a real hard time getting so much as a bite on my glow bugs. its kinda frustrating...

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )

#6249071 - 03/03/12 05:55 PM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: ironeagle_84]
watch4bear Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: wasilla ak
Have you used jig and bobber?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

#6249332 - 03/03/12 06:50 PM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: watch4bear]
ironeagle_84 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: watch4bear
Have you used jig and bobber?

tried it today... no luck.

i will be going to a river here in a few days, maybe tomorrow to try it a few more times. it kicked butt on the episode i saw the other day. heck, it was all they used.

#6249940 - 03/03/12 10:05 PM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: ironeagle_84]
ribka Offline
Campfire Guide

Just spent2 days on the Clearwater in ID.

12 mm beads under a float out fished all others.

#6253905 - 03/05/12 04:08 AM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: ribka]
Dan360 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Washington State
+1 on the jig and bobber. It is probably the easiest rig to get results with. When someone goes fishing with me that is new to steelhead, we bobber/jig exclusively.

With a bobber/jig, remember to get the jig up off the bottom. If your jig is bumping bottom, its most likely under the fish. Shorter your leader and you might start getting strikes. I prefer a fixed float rather than a slider when fishing shallower water because it keeps the whole rig clean. I'll use a lighter float (1/4 oz) usually with no other weight than the 1/8 oz jig.

My most effective colors are "nightmare" which is white head with black and red maribou, or some combo of pink. Get some live sandshrimp and tip the jig with a tail and it can coax a strike when others can't buy a bite.

Remember to mend your line (a longer rod really helps) and keep your drift natural. Your float will tell you what your drift is doing. If the tip points downstream, you're dragging your bait. If it leans upstream, you're not allowing it to flow with the current and your bait is probably riding up because of it.

Hope this helps.

#6256183 - 03/05/12 04:04 PM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: Dan360]
ironeagle_84 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: Dan360
+1 on the jig and bobber. It is probably the easiest rig to get results with. When someone goes fishing with me that is new to steelhead, we bobber/jig exclusively.

With a bobber/jig, remember to get the jig up off the bottom. If your jig is bumping bottom, its most likely under the fish. Shorter your leader and you might start getting strikes. I prefer a fixed float rather than a slider when fishing shallower water because it keeps the whole rig clean. I'll use a lighter float (1/4 oz) usually with no other weight than the 1/8 oz jig.

My most effective colors are "nightmare" which is white head with black and red maribou, or some combo of pink. Get some live sandshrimp and tip the jig with a tail and it can coax a strike when others can't buy a bite.

Remember to mend your line (a longer rod really helps) and keep your drift natural. Your float will tell you what your drift is doing. If the tip points downstream, you're dragging your bait. If it leans upstream, you're not allowing it to flow with the current and your bait is probably riding up because of it.

Hope this helps.

indeed it does Sir, thank you.

#6259437 - 03/06/12 11:49 AM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: ironeagle_84]
logcutter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Central Idaho
Bobber and jigs work real well on the Clearwater but not so good on the Salmon..Funny how that is.

Jayco

#6260268 - 03/06/12 03:56 PM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: logcutter]
Dan360 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Washington State
Some water isn't appropriate for the technique. Sometimes its a water clarity thing. It pays to be versatile with different techniques. For a new steelheader, I try and pick a place that has a couple of different types of water so they can get used to looking at what the books describe as slots, seams, tailouts, runs, riffles, etc.

I think at the end of the day, you pick the technique that will put the bait in the strikezone the longest. Often, bobber/jig accomplishes that without the hangups and hazards of the other methods. Part of steelheading is the elusiveness of the fish. Some guys who really got their act together still don't catch fish every day they are on the water.

#6262760 - 03/07/12 08:09 AM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: Dan360]
ribka Offline
Campfire Guide

Sometimes have to fish runs with multiple types of gear, methods to catch fish.

It 's interesting that different rivers each have their own type of holding water.

WA Op rivers completely differentbthan E WA and ID rivers . And OR rivers different than WA and ID rivers.

#6263738 - 03/07/12 12:54 PM Re: lets talk Steelhead... [Re: ribka]
troutslayer Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Montana
can we see a picture of the bobber and jig set up?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
158 registered (3040Krag, 99hunter, 300maghunter, 300jimmy, 358Norma_fan, Alann, 15 invisible), 600 Guests and 362 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
49482 Members
71 Forums
611825 Topics
8747179 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM

CLICK HERE for $75 rebate on STEINER OPTICS!

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.