Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently pulled my USO 1.8-10X44 off one of my AR-15's to use on my M1A. The scope was a little heavy for AR anyway and I wanted something a little smaller in size. For the new scope I wanted turrets and I'm on a tight budget now that my oldest is in college.

I looked through everything at Sportsmans warehouse and my local gun shops and just didn't find anything I liked in my price range. After a little online research I found a scope that I think I'm going to be happy with long term. It's a Weaver "tactical" Grand Slam 3-10X40.

This is a Japanesse made scope and a Midway USA exclusive. It's a MIL/MIL scope (reticle&turrets) which is new for me. I've never ranged with a reticle though so the only difference will be getting use to the click values. The size and weight match pretty well to the rifle it's mounted on and the scope looks right at home on top of it. The rifle is a 20" HBAR fixed stock set up that weighs 7lbs 14ozs before optics.

After I got it mounted up I went to the range and was really pleased with the results. The first thing I did was shoot a few out of another rifle that has a Leupold MK4 2.5-8X36 MR/T on it, a very nice AR scope too BTW. Then I sat the Weaver scoped rifle on the bags. The 1st thing that suprized me was the clarity. I was hoping for something clear enough but this scope is every bit the equal of the high end Leupold at the same power. The colors seemed natural and the edge to edge clarity is excellent. eye relief is generous and eye location isn't critical. The power ring is firm but turns easy enough. The turrets have an excellent feel and seem to be very accurate. They aren't mushy at all and have a nice audible click. After I got it sighted in I ran the turrets all over the place and they returned to zero every time.

After I got everything setup I shot 3 five shot groups at 100 yds that you could cover with a nickel. The reticle is thin enough that it makes a good target scope, of coarse this will work against you in low light. Speaking of low light, this is something I have yet to look at but will later today.

The scope retails for $399 but goes on sale constantly for $299 which is what I got mine for. No long term use but so far I'm very pleased with this scope and think it's a real value. I need to order some B/C flip covers and I'm set.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 03/08/12.

ARIC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How well does it focus at closer ranges? I tried a similar scope on my ar and while it was great for 100yds and beyond, I could not get the scope to focus at 25yds when I put it on my 10/22.

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
At 10yds it's very clear at 5X
At 20yds it's good all the way to 7X
At 25yds it's good to 9X but at 10X it's slightly fuzzy.
I just checked by ranging trees out my window (it's raining here frown )

Being that it's a non A/O scope I'm not real sure what kind of problems you'd be getting into with parralex though. My groups yesterday were all shot from 50 and 100yds.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 03/08/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
269 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.