Leica Sport Optics.
CLICK HERE TO SEE MCMILLANS BELOW RETAIL!

Page 47 of 58 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 57 58 >
Topic Options
#6461965 - 05/01/12 10:26 AM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: joe6555]
MallardAddict Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Rainy Western Wa
I just realized guys that I was remiss when I posted pictures and thank you letters from the hand off of the rifle and gear to the boys. I apparently forgot to attach the thank you letter from their mom so I will do so now.

To all that were involved in the overwhelmingly generous gifts to my sons, THANK YOU! It's always a tough spot when you want to be able to do things for your children and you're not able to. Such as provide them with life skills (hunting) that will benefit with them forever and the means to carry them out. 
I would never have asked for anyone to do this for my boys, I'm just not that type of person. However, when Matt explained the situation to me and he had thought of Coy (my oldest son), I was very honored that he felt my son was deserving. 
You have /will receive a thank you letter from Coy himself, but I thought I might just share a little more of the young man behind the scenes. Coy is a very considerate young man, always willing to help out others and also puts others before him self. He has a plan of what he wants to do in life, which includes serving the USA in the Marines (not 100% confirmed)  when he graduates from high school. And, although he does complain occasionally, he puts his family first and really does try to be a positive role model. 
This past year has been especially tough. I was unable to do anything for him for his birthday, and only 4 days later we had to put our dog, his best friend of 14 years, down. This won't bring our beloved family member back, but it will leave a very positive memory of this year etched in his mind, and the minds of my other two sons, forever! 
Thank you to everyone who participated in creating these everlasting memories! Thank you for the showing that even when the world seems to be getting worse there are upstanding citizens from near and far that do make it a better place to live. I will never be able to thank you for all of your generosity you have shown towards my family, but I will do my best to make sure they grow up to be upstanding citizens like all of you have proven to be. 
Sincerely, 

Tamara

People look at a McSwirly and say "GODDDAMN! IS THAT A MCMILLAN???" Meanwhile they have a six foot erection with a cheeseburger on the end of it.

Travis

HR 468
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
#6462615 - 05/01/12 02:07 PM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: MallardAddict]
dclayton Offline

Loc: VA & NY
That's a great thank-you note. Thanks for posting it, Mallard!
"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)

#6463050 - 05/01/12 04:30 PM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: joe6555]
oregontripper Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Beaver West
Originally Posted By: joe6555
I have read thru this post (it took a while, as I had to wipe my eyes several times). This has to be the best bunch of people anybody could ask for. Amazing generosity.

I will add a boy for consideration. Trenton is an average student, and overall an average kid (I think he is 12, if I remember correctly). He has a bigger sister into pep squads and female type activities. He is into whatever sport is going on at the time. Last season, a friend of his mother took him deer hunting and it changed his life. He didn't get a deer, although I believe he shot a hog late in the season. All he wants to talk about now is hunting and shooting. He practices with his pellet rifle, and his mom was able to buy him a Mossberg 500 for Christmas this past year.

His mom is a single working mom, like so many these days. She did manage to get a deer this past year. Unfortunately, it was with her car. About a month after getting it repaired, a woman talking on her cell phone hit Amanda and totaled her car. Not long after that, she had to get her gall bladder removed, then got a staph infection. It hasn't been a great year for her.

Not sure what else I might relay at this time. Just another young man who looks to have fallen in love with the great sport of hunting.

joe6555,

Sure sounds like Trenton is a young man that would make good use of a 243... Any thoughts from around the campfire?

#6463443 - 05/01/12 06:32 PM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: oregontripper]
MallardAddict Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Rainy Western Wa
I think Trenton sounds like a great canidate for that .243.

788's are tack drivers. Mine was my first deet gun but now does long range coyote gun duty. It is currently out on semi permanent loan to my brothers girlfriend.

Assuming other guys get on board with this plan I'm in.

Edited by MallardAddict (05/01/12 06:36 PM)

People look at a McSwirly and say "GODDDAMN! IS THAT A MCMILLAN???" Meanwhile they have a six foot erection with a cheeseburger on the end of it.

Travis

#6463800 - 05/01/12 08:20 PM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: MallardAddict]
joe6555 Offline

Loc: Texas
If enough guys think it might be ok, I will talk to Amanda and be sure it is ok with her. I think another young man may be getting a dose of happy this year. I do not, however want to bump crockettnj's nominee. There are lot's of deserving youngsters, and I wish I was in position to help all of them. Since crockettnj posted first, I think he should be at the head of the line. That is only fair.

#6464894 - 05/02/12 07:38 AM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: joe6555]
dclayton Offline

Loc: VA & NY
Joe6555,

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that crockettnj's nominee (Andrew) wouldn't be bumped by your nominee (Trenton) at all, since there are two different rifles that have been offered:

.243 Remington 788 (from oregontripper, FOsteology, and mistem)
.270 Winchester 670 (from taylorce1)

Taylorce1 has already said that Andrew has dibs on the .270, subject to confirmation by crockettnj (since Andrew may not be able to accept.) In both cases the additional goodies to complete the package would have to be coordinated, though, as well as the order in which they were given out. Not to presume anything, but do either of the two nominees have a particular urgency that would bump them up in terms of time priority? If it's just deer season, then there is some time to get everything ready. Perhaps the first one that can definitively accept the generous offer should just be kitted out first with whatever other goodies 'fire members come up with?

I know that crockettnj was saying he had to confirm that his nominee could accept. joe6555, are you sure that your nominee is good-to-go?

Assuming that is the case, maybe it makes sense to get in touch with oregontripper, since he is the rifle donor, and see if he's okay with everything. (He sure sounds to me like a kid who'd be thrilled to get his first rifle, and would make good use of it!smile)

Edited by dclayton (05/02/12 01:47 PM)
"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)

#6465965 - 05/02/12 01:32 PM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: dclayton]
oregontripper Offline
Campfire Ranger

Dclayton, your take on it seems spot on.

joe6555, Like to hear from others, but to me, Trenton is an ideal candidate for the 243. Let's give it a little time and see how it unfolds...

#6469740 - 05/03/12 04:27 PM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: oregontripper]
oregontripper Offline
Campfire Ranger

Update --->

Gophergunner has put together a pack for the 788 243 project...

Nice cammo daypack,
lensatic compass,
Winchester 2 kife set with lockblade and a swiss army style,
blaze orange ball cap,
stainless steel vacuum bottle,
waterproof matches and a waterproof match holder,
poncho,
small flashlight with batteries,
disposable hand warmers,
simple knife sharpener,
some paracord,
and an emergency blanket.

That's great GG!

#6470892 - 05/04/12 01:05 AM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: MallardAddict]
AlaskanMatt Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: HOME! Wasilla, AK
Originally Posted By: MallardAddict
I just realized guys that I was remiss when I posted pictures and thank you letters from the hand off of the rifle and gear to the boys. I apparently forgot to attach the thank you letter from their mom so I will do so now.

To all that were involved in the overwhelmingly generous gifts to my sons, THANK YOU! It's always a tough spot when you want to be able to do things for your children and you're not able to. Such as provide them with life skills (hunting) that will benefit with them forever and the means to carry them out. 
I would never have asked for anyone to do this for my boys, I'm just not that type of person. However, when Matt explained the situation to me and he had thought of Coy (my oldest son), I was very honored that he felt my son was deserving. 
You have /will receive a thank you letter from Coy himself, but I thought I might just share a little more of the young man behind the scenes. Coy is a very considerate young man, always willing to help out others and also puts others before him self. He has a plan of what he wants to do in life, which includes serving the USA in the Marines (not 100% confirmed)  when he graduates from high school. And, although he does complain occasionally, he puts his family first and really does try to be a positive role model. 
This past year has been especially tough. I was unable to do anything for him for his birthday, and only 4 days later we had to put our dog, his best friend of 14 years, down. This won't bring our beloved family member back, but it will leave a very positive memory of this year etched in his mind, and the minds of my other two sons, forever! 
Thank you to everyone who participated in creating these everlasting memories! Thank you for the showing that even when the world seems to be getting worse there are upstanding citizens from near and far that do make it a better place to live. I will never be able to thank you for all of your generosity you have shown towards my family, but I will do my best to make sure they grow up to be upstanding citizens like all of you have proven to be. 
Sincerely, 

Tamara

MA,

I must have somehow missed the pictures, were they in this thread? I've been traveling for the last week so I must have missed it. I'm in Germany now, en route back to AK for leave.

EDIT: I just read back through and found 'em. Awesome pics! grin

Edited by AlaskanMatt (05/04/12 01:09 AM)

#6472031 - 05/04/12 10:17 AM Re: Any deserving kids in need out there???? [Re: joe6555]
Seafire Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: Southern Oregon USA
Originally Posted By: joe6555
I have read thru this post (it took a while, as I had to wipe my eyes several times). This has to be the best bunch of people anybody could ask for. Amazing generosity.

I will add a boy for consideration. Trenton is an average student, and overall an average kid (I think he is 12, if I remember correctly). He has a bigger sister into pep squads and female type activities. He is into whatever sport is going on at the time. Last season, a friend of his mother took him deer hunting and it changed his life. He didn't get a deer, although I believe he shot a hog late in the season. All he wants to talk about now is hunting and shooting. He practices with his pellet rifle, and his mom was able to buy him a Mossberg 500 for Christmas this past year.

His mom is a single working mom, like so many these days. She did manage to get a deer this past year. Unfortunately, it was with her car. About a month after getting it repaired, a woman talking on her cell phone hit Amanda and totaled her car. Not long after that, she had to get her gall bladder removed, then got a staph infection. It hasn't been a great year for her.

Not sure what else I might relay at this time. Just another young man who looks to have fallen in love with the great sport of hunting.

Has my vote for sure...all of these kids are as deserving of our support as are our veterans...

the way I look at it at my age, we can't take it with us... so passing it on to someone young and deserving... we couldn't do any better than that!!

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

"why do I carry a 45? Because they didn't make a 46.."

Page 47 of 58 < 1 2 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 57 58 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
632 registered (257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 1B, 1tnhunter, 264mag, 69 invisible), 1180 Guests and 441 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
49451 Members
71 Forums
611369 Topics
8740282 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 04:36 PM

Copyright © 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.