Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I ran across a deal on a 6mm rem. I've been looking for a 6mm for a while now and thought this one was intriguing. It is a left handed remington 788 with a factory synthetic stock and factory iron sights. I'm thinking the barrel is 24" long but It may be 22". How much would this rifle be worth? I've heard these rifles were extremely accurate. I know there is an almost cult like following in regards to the remington 788 but why?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what it's worth, I don't think 788s ever came from the factory with synthetic stocks.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/12/12.

abusus non tollit usum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I think they were all birch stocks. Very fast lock time IIRC. There are a couple on GB for about $600, I've been watching for one but with a bit more rational price.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There is some collector value to the lefties due to the relatively low numbers produced in that chambering, the only other one being 308 Win in greater numbers. Realistically a nice one with the factory sights would probably bring $450-500 on gunbroker. One like you described is probably worth $300. LH factory wood takeoff stocks are rare as hen's teeth.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you are looking for a reliable hunting rifle, you probably won't be disappointed. I have a left-handed 788 in 6mm Rem. and it shoots very well. I'm happy with it.
I agree that it is probably an aftermarket stock. I've never seen a 788 with a synthetic stock.
As for what it's worth, it's only worth what you are willing to pay for it. If you are looking to turn it over and make a few bucks you'd probably have to pick it up for $400-$450.

Jerry

IC B2

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting post to me as my son bought a used one (LH 6mm 788 Rem) over 25 years ago as his first rifle. They are only semi-left-handed as his ejects the cases to the right.

It has been very accurate in-spite of a heavy trigger pull. He didn't shoot it for several years and the trigger froze up. Several shots of carburetor cleaner fixed the problem.

The safety is very easy to bump off when carried by a sling on the left shoulder because just brushing his wool coat will take it off safety. Empty chamber while hiking for this rifle!

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I picked one up about 2 years ago with sights and a spare magazine for $305 out the door. I felt like I stole it! Most will bring $450 to $500 as long as they are in good condition. I am a cult leader for 788's. I have all 9 calibers. They never made a synthetic factory stock. I've seen some walnut on the early production 788's, but most are birch. I haven't had a 788 that didn't shoot pretty darn good. The 30-30 will change most peoples mind about 30-30 accuracy. My 6 is a consistant 3/4" gun with about anything I put in it. I would like to see the stock that's on it, if you pick it up, post some pics.

There's no such thing as too much gun!
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would be worth checking to see if the original safety/trigger have been replaced.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
It would look good next to the one I've owned for about 40 years and is still my go-to whitetail gun. I've never seen or heard of them in factory synthetic. I saw one go at auction about a year ago around $450 in average condition, and saw one about the same time go for $675, but it was in pristine shape with a decent scope. Prices are pretty caliber-specific.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have purchased 3 788's in the past 10 years all for under $225 and wouldn't sell them for twice that

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys, that answers a lot of questions that were in my mind. I didn't know for sure if they made them with synthetic stocks, but now I know they didn't. It's in great shape and kind of calling to me. I don't really mind the right hand eject and left hand bolt and of the ones I've shot, they've been tack drivers (both chambered for 222). Another question: What is the best mount and rings for these things as I think the reciever was only drilled for 3 holes (2 in front and 1 in the rear).

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
788 mags in 6mm Rem are very hard to come up with. the factory ones used to bring $90 if you lose yours. Fella told me awhile back that some outfit started making them for about $55 ea. I looked for a good right handed one for years,saw a few but the owners were too proud of them ,finally ended up with a used M77R for less money than it would have took to get a 788. Saw a beat to hell one with no finish left on it in 22-250 awhile back for $275, makes me smile everytime I see one cause that one was the hardest used outfit I ever saw. The previous owner had pop riveted a 6" length of brass toilet tank chain to the bottom of the mag and wood screwed the other end to the side of the stock.Guess he bought one to many mags for it LOL. Magnum Man

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
788 mags in 6mm Rem are very hard to come up with. the factory ones used to bring $90 if you lose yours. Fella told me awhile back that some outfit started making them for about $55 ea. I looked for a good right handed one for years,saw a few but the owners were too proud of them ,finally ended up with a used M77R for less money than it would have took to get a 788. Saw a beat to hell one with no finish left on it in 22-250 awhile back for $275, makes me smile everytime I see one cause that one was the hardest used outfit I ever saw. The previous owner had pop riveted a 6" length of brass toilet tank chain to the bottom of the mag and wood screwed the other end to the side of the stock.Guess he bought one to many mags for it LOL. Magnum Man

That's freekin hilarious.......
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Redfield, Leupold, and Burris have all made steel bases for the 788. The odd thing about these mounts is that you will be looking for an extra long action base. Odd for the 788's, everything else would be a short action. Looks like Midway has them in stock. Weaver also makes bases, I just prefer the steel. Here's a link.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...se-remington-788-extra-long-action-gloss

Midway also has 6mm magazines for $37.99, it's one of the Numrich ones. The old factory ones used to bring $60-$75 when you could find one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/683241/gpc-magazine-remington-788-6mm-remington-3-round-steel-blue

Good shooting

There's no such thing as too much gun!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Numrich has 6mm mags for about 30 bucks. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=4346

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks to me like a 788 carbine in 30-30 would be a cinch conversion to 375 Winchester!! That'd get my attention.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DMc
Looks to me like a 788 carbine in 30-30 would be a cinch conversion to 375 Winchester!! That'd get my attention.

Wrong sized hole in the barrel. smile

I had a right hand 788 in 6mm for about 5 years, it was a shooter. I replaced it with a #1 in 6mm, sure wish the #1 shot even close to the 788.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sambo3006
There is some collector value to the lefties due to the relatively low numbers produced in that chambering, the only other one being 308 Win in greater numbers. Realistically a nice one with the factory sights would probably bring $450-500 on gunbroker. One like you described is probably worth $300. LH factory wood takeoff stocks are rare as hen's teeth.

Just put it on hold and it comes with the original wood stock too (so that is a relief, phewwww...). I've been eyeballing this thing for too long so I decided to just buy it!! grin Maybe now Nsaqam will get off my butt about not having any left handed rifles grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're beginning to see the light BSA!

This is encouraging! grin

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I was hoping you'd run across my post wink. I listened to you and decided to buy the rifle. I've been going in and fondeling it too much anyway, I think the gunshop owner was ready to start charging me or raise the price.... grin

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
577 members (12308300, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.