Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am thinking about purchasing a Mystery Ranch Dragon slayer for mostly a scouting pack to carry my spotter and tripod and various other items. I am not planning on using it to haul meat or heavy loads. My question is- is it worth the $300? Cabelas has a very similar pack in the CamelBak TriZip XT Hydration Pack for $169. Has anyone used either, and if so what are your thoughts? Big savings if it will still work fine. I haven't had a chance to put my hands on either, just internet pics.
Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Look at a Eberlestock X2 as well. I just bought one new for $150 and it will or could carry heavy loads, but I bought for a day pack.

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had an x2 and switched to the ds. The frame on the x2 dig into my hips and caused bruising. The ds fits great carries more weight. For me with the x2 fit problems its not even close as to how much better the ds is. The x2 has some nice things if it fits you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was looking at the DS as well until MR redesigned it and removed the external water bottle pockets. I then turned to the Camelbak Trizip. I thought the military version of the Camelbak trizip was built better than the hunting version Cabela's has. They can usually be found on Amazon for about $200.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Is budget the primary reason you are going back and forth? For what it's worth the extra price is worth it. The step up from the mid grade packs to MR/Kifaru, etc. is worth it in my mind.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by B_n_C_Buck
I was looking at the DS as well until MR redesigned it and removed the external water bottle pockets.

I thought this was going to be a deal-breaker for me when I looked at the DS. I went ahead and ordered one to make the final call. As it turns out, I love the size and features of the DS. I has turned into my go-to pack.

To make a comment on the MR brand vs the CamelBak, there is no comparison on the fit and durability of the two. The MR products are truly bombproof. If the quality is in question, yes the MR is worth the extra $$.

If this pack is going to sit in the gear closet all but a couple times a year, then the price could influence you decision.

I've been very pleased and do not regret my decision.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me it would be a easy choice, mystery ranch. Fit and finish is way better and it will carry better. Plus the pride of knowing it was built in the good ol USA.

By the way you guys know you can add bottle pockets to all the MR packs right smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I added a water bottle pocket and a flip top box from MR

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thats pretty much what I thought everyone would say. Looks like I'll be ordering a Mystery Ranch.

Kenai and Brad, are you talking about a sewn on water bottle pocket, or the on that goes on teh waist belt?
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea the clip on bottle pocket. You can put it back on the belt or on Molly webbing.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/hunting-pack-accessories/bottle-pocket

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sako300RUM
Thats pretty much what I thought everyone would say. Looks like I'll be ordering a Mystery Ranch.

Kenai and Brad, are you talking about a sewn on water bottle pocket, or the on that goes on teh waist belt?
Thanks

It isn't necessary to spend a ton of money to get a decent day pack. The DS is a great choice though. Even with regular, heavy use, it will last you a long time.

I have the old version and it has been great. Gets the most use of my packs.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Had an Estock x2 and sent it back. It is a neat design, the main compartment is just a large open pocket.
It has 2 wings, one of either than a bladder goes in.

I also had the older DS (I have a bag issue!) I really wish MR kept the old style myself. I sold it off to fund something else.

If all you need is a day pack, looke at the 3 day assault. It has a lot of the features MR ditched on the new DS.

Or Kifaru X Ray or the Express.

And to add there are many quality "backpack" day makers out there.
Gregory, Osprey, Granite Gear, Deuter, etc.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the new Dragon slayer and love it.

That said, if you don't plan on using it for packing weight, it's probably a little over kill. It's got a really stout little frame and something like a sweet pea would probably work just as good for what you'd want, and you'd save like eighty bucks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for the Dragon Slayer, I bought mine 2 years ago so its the older version but it sure is a nice pack & really comfortable. Great CS at Mystery Ranch, nice folks to deal with.

[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
A
A
I suggest MR DragonSlayer for your case, too.
I'm not hunting, but scouting/training normally w/ 15-30lbs. Rock/Tree-climbing involved.

I own the Re-designed DS. + 1 Bottle pocket . Feel perfect so far on day-trip or multi-day(+2 rip-zip pocket) survival training. Good inside layout, hydration-pack friendly and I hook all luqid in mid-back(Molle) and compressed size is not bulky at all.

The MOLLE location are nice in this version, avoid getting stuck by branches while passing thru. Compare to Arc'teryx/Gregory/Deuter/Osprey, MR did great job on weight transfer to more hip & lower back, high stability while climbing or responding quick action. Really proud while you are operating some gadgets in single handed while on fast trekking, you want to throw away any tightened packs that STILL shaken your gravity.

I guess the slight difference offers huge sweetspot here, the share of weight is v. important dynamically in motion. Rather than counting static comfortness w/ >40lbs, it deserves a patient research to fit your body build (esp. Lumbar Vertibreae), coz you need the best adjustable system in wild life to gain that tiny fitness surplus to accomplish your task in top notch.

We are talking about 180 - 300 bucks. You may want a really perfect fit.

Enough Bullshit, anyway, thanks MR folks with their ridiculous enthusiasm and excellent Customer Service.

Last edited by Analogue; 03/12/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey Oregonmuley can you share a little bit about your add-on for the rifle? Is that your sewing skills or after market?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That is his girlfriends sewing skills. I will let him get back with further info

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Analogue

....... MR did great job on weight transfer to more hip & lower back, high stability while climbing or responding quick action. Really proud while you are operating some gadgets in single handed while on fast trekking, you want to throw away any tightened packs that STILL shaken your gravity.

I guess the slight difference offers huge sweetspot here, the share of weight is v. important dynamically in motion. Rather than counting static comfortness w/ >40lbs, it deserves a patient research to fit your body build (esp. Lumbar Vertibreae), coz you need the best adjustable system in wild life to gain that tiny fitness surplus to accomplish your task in top notch........

???

A
A
E.g. Filming the whole operation without another teammate who shares the loadout.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntem
Hey Oregonmuley can you share a little bit about your add-on for the rifle? Is that your sewing skills or after market?

Yup - BradB nailed it - I was lucky to not only get rid of a ex-wife that was good for nothing, but managed to find a wonderful girlfriend that is pretty darn good with a sewing machine. She put that little thingy together in about 20 minutes, its really sort of a prototype until I can think of something better but it does work pretty darn good as is. Here is a litte better pic - it works well for when your hiking into your hunt area, not perfect for when hunting but it works.
[Linked Image]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 35 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.