Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone using these binoculars?

I�ve been fascinated with the Leupold gold ring switch power 10/17x42 binoculars for a couple of years, but shelling out a grand for a fascination is something I only do on rifles.

I have a chance to pick up a set manufactured in 2007 for $500, seems too good to pass up. I�ve done some searching but have found little from people actually packing them out to hunt. I know they are not the HD.

Now I hike everywhere with my binoculars and spotting scope. Lightening the load is never a bad thing. I know I�ll be losing light gathering with 42 and a 17x.

Thoughts and/or experience with these binoculars?

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The only zoom binoc worth having IMO is the Leica Duovid. You can't hold 17x steady without a tripod, and the 10x view through the leupold sp's pales in comparison to a good binocs 10x view.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That high a magnification might be too much and they are going to be heavy as well.

Do a search here for switch power or dual power or zoom binoculars. I was on a thread here on 24hr and someone liked their zoom Bushnell's.

Switch Power link

I have the Leu. 7-12 switch power 32mm's. While they are excellent and all I need they are expensive. Even at half price they were in the $500 range you mentioned.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Savage,
Are your switch binocs the HD or pre-HD? I would use either a tripod or rest on 17. I use a set of 10x Nikons and can hold them steady.

I've met the guy selling the 10-17s and played with them. Optically they are far superior to my 5 year old Nikons or my brotherms new vortex.

I felt that while solidly built, they were neither large or heavy.

I have not seen the 10-17s for sale anywhere in some time. Unless I hear something to dissuade me I'll be buying them in the next day or two.

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The only zoom binoc worth having IMO is the Leica Duovid. You can't hold 17x steady without a tripod, and the 10x view through the leupold sp's pales in comparison to a good binocs 10x view.

+1k

IC B2

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Leica Duovid's are between $2,200 and $2,800 dollars. Do you have any idea how worthless and insulting your input is?

I�m raising four kids who want for nothing. I get to bird hunt every year, and while I�ve been dependent upon my state�s draw system in the past for big game hunting, I�m reaching a financial level that I�ll be able to start going out of state. I hunt with what was, until Mr. Forbes released his new production rifle, arguably the best production hunting rifle around.

Your suggestion that I spend four to six times as much for a pair of binoculars while looking down what I hope is a very well-manicured nose at my lowly beer budget Leopold binoculars demonstrates that you are either industry insiders who pay for nothing or trust fund brats who never had to work your way up the financial ladder.

Have a bad day.

Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 40O
The Leica Duovid's are between $2,200 and $2,800 dollars. Do you have any idea how worthless and insulting your input is?

I�m raising four kids who want for nothing. I get to bird hunt every year, and while I�ve been dependent upon my state�s draw system in the past for big game hunting, I�m reaching a financial level that I�ll be able to start going out of state. I hunt with what was, until Mr. Forbes released his new production rifle, arguably the best production hunting rifle around.

Your suggestion that I spend four to six times as much for a pair of binoculars while looking down what I hope is a very well-manicured nose at my lowly beer budget Leopold binoculars demonstrates that you are either industry insiders who pay for nothing or trust fund brats who never had to work your way up the financial ladder.

Have a bad day.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask for opinions! Go ahead and waste your "hard earned" money on one of the biggest POS's to ever hit the market! [bleep]' crybaby!

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I didn't ask for opinions about what I should get my rich daddy/boyfriend to buy me you [bleep]' Utah Phagget piece of shiete@

Last edited by 40O; 03/11/12.

Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 40O

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
...with these binoculars?

You have none so [bleep] off.

Rep.Mitchell.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
First off I have owned the Leicas and used the Leupy 10-17s. The Leicas are super glass, a bit heavy at around 40 OZs but man they are nice, you get a used or demo pair in the $1400-$1200 range sometimes.

I love my Leupy 8x32 HDs, I think they were a best pair ever in binos, wished I had bought a 10x42 set as well. That being said the switch power Leupys were a SIGNIFICANT step down in optics, not even close.

If you can not afford the Leicas go with a good fixed set. Best buys are used Leupold HDS, Stiener C5s or XPS and 1st edeition Bushnell Elites with 43mm objective. All have lifetime NO bs warranties.

Spence

Last edited by spence1875; 03/11/12.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, never had a pair of the POS in my possession. They'd be overpriced if they were free.

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sweet review for your binoculars of choice:

1.0 out of 5 stars STOP!, December 21, 2011
By MD (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leica 8-12x42 Duovid Binocular (Black) (Electronics)
STOP! Do not buy the Leica DUOVID 8X42 - 12X42 binoculars. An outfitter friend and I each bought a pair of these binoculars at the same time, both binoculars failed in the same manner, and Leica did not stand behind either product.
Focus does not coincide when changing between 8X42 and 12X42.
The mechanism used to change between 8X42 and 12X42 does not operate smoothly, and sometimes sticks and locks up.
The eye cups are loose and do not stay at a desired setting.
Use caution when buying a Leica product. Properly complete the warranty registration and keep your original receipt if you ever expect to request service.

http://www.amazon.com/Leica-8-12x42..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331501954&sr=8-1

Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only person you gotta convince the Leupold switch powers are the Holy Grail is you. Anyone who has used them FIRST HAND already knows otherwise. And beings how you're big on ASSumptions, the Leica Duovids are not my binocular of choice, but keep guessing.

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GreatStuputi,
[bleep] off already.

Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 40O

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just in case there is anyone around here that has used these 10/17 in the field, please let me know how they work in the middle of the day on top of a tripod overlooking some big country. Do you find yourself regretting that you didn�t bring the spotting scope or are you ok with the 10/17 switch power?

I�m new to the idea of using so called �big eyes� in place of a spotting scope, so this will be an experiment. If I like using big eyes better than a spotting scope I can step up latter.

Rep.Mitchell.
40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GreatStuputi,
You have no thoughts and/or experience with these binoculars, and I doubt you have many thoughts and/or experience with anything that someone else didn't pay for, so again...[bleep] off already.

Rep.Mitchell.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
cry cry cry

40O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is that you on your knees with your head thrown back, mouth wide, getting ready to suck a fat one? Are you a chick? You like three at a time, one for each hole?

Last edited by 40O; 03/11/12.

Rep.Mitchell.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.