Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Comp-n-Chokes are hard to beat. If you had .010, a .015, and a .020 you would be set for most anything. I have experience with several sets of these, one of which is my own, and they pattern very well and crush targets. Use a .010 and .015 for most any course and never change. the .020 is only needed for that very long target.
Good Luck,
Rick

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Does the choke crush the target or the fact that you put the barrel where it needed to be when you squeezed the trigger? I bet that same shot with any other choke would have been the same result.

I better shut up now before the choke companies come to break my kneecaps!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
Obviously the barrel has to be in the right place..and your point is choke tubes can't make up for good sound technique, and you are correct....But if a person wanted good tubes to accentuate their good technique, the comp-n-chokes work well. They tend to produce a good "hot" core, and give impressive breaks.
My competetion gun is a fixed-choked Perazzi choked tight and tighter, Therefore no need for choke tubes while competing, however my "Play" gun is a Beretta 391 gold, and the comp-n-chokes work very well for me there.
There are different degrees of quality of target break. I like to hit a target hard because it builds my confidence with positive feedback. I agree a chipped target is an "X" on the scorecard, but not much for confidence.
I hope nobody breaks your kneecaps,
Rick

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I never said anything about a chipped target. I said they would both break the same. If you crushed it with a comp-n-choke say .010, and did everything the exact same on the next shot with a factory choke of .010 they would both break the same. When you crush targets it is because you had everything right where it needed to be. Not because you had XYZ chokes in the gun. But if you want to buy into that go right ahead.

Muller Chokes and their little following state the same you are trying to say. To be honest chokes don't pattern all shells the same so that right there shoots down the BS of better patterns. Hot cores hell I want a nice even well distrubuted shot pattern.

If chokes were the magic answer, then all the contending All-American's would be shooting the same chokes regaurdless of sponsorship. If there was one magic shell again they would all be shooting them.

Truth is that shell, bore, forcing cones, and choke all effect patterning. So the key is to find what combination your gun shoots the best patterns with. How many really do this? Because it would be an expensive propostition. Many of the top guns in the sport are sponsored by companies so they shoot what they get even if its not the ideal combination. Why would they do that if they were scarificing performance? They wouldn't the difference is minute.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
You are correct in that choke tubes aren't the only factor, and yes, different combinations pattern different shells differently. In my fixed choke gun I shoot as many as 4 different loads for different effect, and have as much versatility as a person who can change choke tubes. You also are trying to say that all choke tubes are created equal...they are not. Before I purchased my fixed choke gun I shot several other guns and choke tube combinations. Among theses were Beretta and Browning models with factory tubes, Briley tubes, Angle-port tubes, Seminole tubes, Comp-n-Choke tubes, and probably others I have forgotten about. I have not used them all, but I think you would have to agree a pretty good sampling. Day in and day out the Comp-n-Choke gives more impressive breaks. I am fortunate in that I shoot and compete with several shooters who are as or more accomplished than myself, and most of them shoot Comp-n-Choke tubes, therefore I get to observe the on-target performance they realize as well. I took on a young talented SCTP shooter as a student last summer, and as a gift I purchased a set of Comp-n-Choke tubes for her, as I believe they are the best she could shoot. My personal sampling is not as great as some others in that I only shoot 20,000 to 25,000 targets each year. Confidence in one's equipment is of the utmost importance on the mental side of the game, and many shooters either underestimate or don't understand the importance of the mental side. I am in no way affiliated with Comp-n-Choke, and have no reason to endorse their product other than they work. I am as well hesitant to give a suggestion on any product unless I am convinced it is a good product myself, and in the case of the Comp-n-Choke tubes, I am convinced. Will other choke tubes break targets? Yes they will. In my experience, constriction for constriction, Comp-n-Choke tubes give more impressive breaks than the others I've tried. Of course, you're experience may vary.
Rick

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickinTN
You also are trying to say that all choke tubes are created equal...they are not.

I only shoot 20,000 to 25,000 targets each year.
Rick

Where did I say that all chokes are created equal? I like how you try to put words in my mouth to try to prove your point. There isn't much that seperates the top say 25 in the country in sporting clays. If your theory was correct everyone of them would be shooting Comp-n-choke or Muller chokes as they seem to believe their chokes are that much more superior to others. If these two companies were that superior then all the top guns would be shooting them to get any little edge they could over the next guy. They aren't all shooting them.

As far as 20K to 25K a year what the hell does that have to do with chokes? I went thru 100 flats (pallet) two years ago and only a half pallet this past year so roughly 50 cases. That has zero to do with choke performance. All that means is you shoot more then some and less then others.

For the average guy factory chokes are better then need be. For the average competitive sporting clays shooter not in the top of master class factory chokes are still good enough. I am sure Robertons, Kidd, Kienbaum, Duffy, Cherry, Kruger, McGuire, and the likes would still have no problem beating us using factory chokes.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
R
"I never said anything about a chipped target. I said they would both break the same. If you crushed it with a comp-n-choke say .010, and did everything the exact same on the next shot with a factory choke of .010 they would both break the same."

This has not been my experience.

Last edited by RickinTN; 03/09/12.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I noticed a definite difference in Briley vs Comp-n with the same choke in the same gun with the same loads. The Comp-n chokes just seem to have a better center to them, but YMMV.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

641 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 1badf350, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,317
Posts18,449,266
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.