Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great work, and Thank you. I will bring something to point. These laws deal with interstate shipping of firearms, not in-state shipping of firearms. I've had many people tell me in the past that I don't know what I'm talking about but....A non-licensed seller can indeed sell, transfer, and ship to a non-licensed buyer in his or her own state without going through an FFL holder to complete the transfer.

Thanks again,
Rick

Last edited by RickinTN; 03/12/12.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LittleBittyBricktop
O Daade, i so porowd of yu!!!!

Quiet, Buckwheat. The men are talking......,

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by LittleBittyBricktop
O Daade, i so porowd of yu!!!!

Quiet, Buckwheat. The men are talking......,

chang my mind

Last edited by LittleBittyBricktop; 03/13/12.

When i grow up i wona be jus like my Daadde
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's a lot of work. Thanks for the effort.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
excellent information

Arcus Venator
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nice work - big thanks for putting this together! It has an unusually pleasant tone.... Cheers! laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Good stuff....I think you should add some language about what a seller should provide a buyer in terms of information. Address, serial number of weapon, etc??? What is a reasonable expectation of information for a seller to receive from the buyer.

What method of payment is reasonable that provides some sort of protection for both buyer and seller. USPS Money Order? Cashier Check? ???

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hekin
Good stuff....I think you should add some language about what a seller should provide a buyer in terms of information. Address, serial number of weapon, etc??? What is a reasonable expectation of information for a seller to receive from the buyer.

What method of payment is reasonable that provides some sort of protection for both buyer and seller. USPS Money Order? Cashier Check? ???
Etiquette and terms are for the two parties to resolve. My information focuses on compliance with the '68 GCA only.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ok, but perhaps a new thread on reasonable expectations would be helpful. Sort of guard rails for folks to bounce between. There has to be some standard must haves and a the nice haves can be listed and debated between parties..

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Very informative and well written. Thank you Bricktop

Live and die by the Browning...
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
+1 to the above, thanks.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brilliant written opus.

Tack

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bricktop, been alot of pissing and moaning about this subject.
Thank You for a very informative post on the regs and what is correct and what is BS.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rick should lock it so it doesn't become a 15 page abortion that guys have to wade through to find the pertinent information.

Should be a BT only thread.

Just a thought.

Travis

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Rick should lock it so it doesn't become a 15 page abortion that guys have to wade through to find the pertinent information.

Just a thought.

Travis
+1, Rick should delete the replies including mine and let Bricktop have his own sticky...he deserves it!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by slg888
Originally Posted by deflave

Just a thought.

Travis
+1, Rick should delete the replies including mine and let Bricktop have his own sticky...he deserves it!

++ Like they said.

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New Bricktop...New image?
smile

[Linked Image]

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bricktop is redeeming himself in my book. Now its the USPS's turn!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

HelpHelp Center
Search Knowledge Base
Contact Support
Search Site Web Page
Browse FAQs
My Support Page

BuyersNew Buyers
Tools for Buyers
How To Buy
Buyer's Protection
Find An FFL

SellersNew Sellers
Tools for Sellers
How To Sell
Fees & Services
Join our FFL Network
Sell an Item

My GunBrokerSummary
Buying
Selling
Saved Searches
Shipment History
Billing Information
Support Issues

CommunityForums
Announcements
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
YouTube

Product CenterProduct Center

Welcome snolover2005! (Sign Out)

Sell Your Item

inAll CategoriesAir GunsAmmunitionAmmunition ReloadingArchery & Bow HuntingBlack Powder & MuzzleloadersBooks, Videos & LiteratureCharity Gun AuctionsClass 3 Firearms, NFA & Destructive DevicesClothing, Bags & WearablesCollectible FirearmsCollectibles & MilitariaDomain NamesEverything ElseFirearmsFishing TackleFurniture & CabinetsGun PartsHunting GearHunting Trips & SafarisKnives & SwordsLand & LeasesNon-Firing Replica GunsNon-Lethal WeaponsServicesStaff PicksSurvival GearTactical GearTaxidermy, Antlers & MountsVehicles

Related Links

Support
Have support issues? Find answers here.

GunBroker.com Help Center

Firearms Shipping Guide

(last updated on 10/25/2010)
Firearms Shipping Guide

Overview
This page provides information about Federal Laws, step that must be followed, and notes on using specific shippers when shipping firearms. This page is oriented toward the seller of an item. If you need information about how to buy a firearm through GunBroker.com, please refer to our Buyer's Tutorial.

This page contains information oriented toward persons shipping firearms within the United States. For sellers located outside the United States, please see our

Import / Export page.

Shipping Legalities
Federal Law requires that all modern firearms be shipped to a holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL) only. The recipient must have an FFL; however the sender is not required to have one. Any person who is legally allowed to own a firearm is legally allowed to ship it to an FFL holder for any legal purpose (including sale or resale).

Here is exactly what the ATF 'Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide' (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

'Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built in or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
Antique firearm. (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Knives, air guns, accessories, and most gun parts need not be shipped to an FFL holder. We say most gun parts because each firearm contains at least one part that the ATF considers a firearm. This part is typically the part that contains the serial number. This part must be treated as a complete firearm when shipping the item.

Ammunition must be clearly identified as 'Small Arms Ammunition' on the outside of the box. Some shippers treat ammunition as dangerous or hazardous materials.

The section of the US Code that governs modern firearms is called Commerce in Firearms and Ammunition (CFA). This code is available online at:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_09/27cfr478_09.html

When in doubt, we suggest arranging for transfer through a licensed dealer. Violation of the CFA is a felony and penalties for violation of it are severe.

Federal and State Law Resources
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) has a very comprehensive site containing information about the various Federal and state laws regulating firearms. Please refer to the ATF information for legal questions regarding firearms.
ATF Home page:

http://www.atf.gov
ATF Compilation of the various state laws: http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5.pdf
ATF Firearms Division Main Page: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/

Shipment by Unlicensed Persons
Any shipper who does not have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be an 'unlicensed person'. This section contains information on how unlicensed persons can ship firearms. If you have an FFL, please skip to the next section for shipping suggestions.

The most important thing to know is that you must only ship guns to a licensed dealer. If the buyer is not a licensed dealer, he will have to make arrangements to ship the item to a dealer in his state.

Before you ship a gun, the buyer must fax or mail you a copy of the dealer's signed FFL license. You can only ship the gun to the address on the license. You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm. Of course, the firearm cannot be shipped loaded; ammunition may not be shipped in the same box. You should take the copy of the signed FFL with you when you take the item to be shipped in case the shipper wishes to see it.

Notes on specific shippers:

US Mail: An unlicensed person can ship a rifle or shotgun by US Mail. Unlicensed persons cannot ship a handgun by US Mail. Postal regulations allow the Post Office to open your package for inspection. Ammunition cannot be shipped by US Mail. You can search the

US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

FedEx Express: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.

FedEx Ground:

FedEx Ground will transport and deliver firearms (excluding handguns) as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

Shipment by Licensed Persons
Any shipper who has a Federal Firearms License (FFL) is considered to be a 'licensed person'. This section contains information on how licensed persons can ship firearms. If you do not have an FFL, please see the previous section of this page for shipping instructions.

Since licensed persons are responsible for knowing the law, we are going to assume that you already understand the CGA and know the applicable Federal, state, and local laws.

Notes on specific shippers:

US Mail: Licensed persons can ship a rifle, shotguns, or handguns by US Mail. In fact, we suggest that you use the USPS as it is now the most cost-effective way to ship a handgun. To ship a rifle or shotgun, you need only inform the Post Office that the package contains a firearm. A licensed manufacturer, dealer, or importer can ship a handgun via the US Post Office if the licensed dealer fills out a

US Post Office Form PS 1508 and files it with the local Post Office branch where the handgun is to be shipped. You can search the US Post Office Postal Explorer site for specific USPS regulations regarding firearms and ammunition.

FedEx Express: FedEx will only ship firearms via their Priority Overnight service. Ammunition must be shipped as hazardous goods via Ground in compliance with ORM-D.

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition.

Most other shippers will no longer accept firearm shipments. Airborne and Roadway have specifically prohibited firearm shipments.

Notes on USPS Firearm Regulations
We recommend that you read the Post Office regulations on

Other Restricted or Nonmailable Matter before shipping a firearm through the US Mail.

The following info comes from the USPS Regulation DMM Issue 54, January 10, 1999, section C-024

Page C-39, section 3.0, Rifles and Shotguns: "Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 1.1e and 1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act or 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated there under, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 1.1e."

Page C-39, section 6.0, PROHIBITED PARCEL MARKING: "For any parcel containing a firearm or a ballistic or switchblade knife, any marking that indicates the contents is not permitted on the outside wrapper or container."

The following pertains only to licensed dealers shipping handguns:

Page C-37, section 1.3, Authorized Persons: "Subject to 1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government......."

Page C-38, section 1.5, Manufacturers and Dealers: "Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts."

Page C-38, section 1.6, Certificate of Manufacturers and Dealers: "A licensed manufacturer or dealer need not file the affidavit under 1.4, but must file with the postmaster a statement on Form 1508 signed by the mailer that he or she is a licensed manufacturer or dealer of firearms, that the parcels containing handguns (or major components thereof) are customary trade shipments or contain such articles for repairing or replacing parts, and that to the best of his or her knowledge or belief the addressees are licensed manufacturers or dealers of firearms."

Related FAQs:1.Selling an Item/Account Status
2.Credit card is being rejected
3.Why has my account been closed?
4.What is a Fixed Price Item?
5.What are the fees?
6.Our Mailing Address
7.Offline Lister - Additional Information
8.Find an FFL in your area (FFL)
9.Offline Lister Issues and Error Messages
10.Tips for Sellers

Copyright � 1999-2012 GunBroker.com, LLC. "GunBroker.com", the bullet logo, and "The Bidding Starts Now" are registered trademarks used under license. All Rights Reserved Worldwide (WEB6 4.2.6.2)

GunBroker.com - The World's Largest Online Auction of Firearms and Accessories�

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Site Map | Gun Manufacturers | Gun Models

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

From what I understand from this is in shipping a handgun thru UPS or Fedex it's required by law to notifiy UPS or Fedex that it's a handgun.

Last edited by JD1951; 03/16/12.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
555 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.