Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Got my answer. Disregard.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

GB1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I recently sold a handgun via Gunbroker. Following the rules, I naturally shipped it via FedEx to the purchaser's local FFL dealer.

But the dealer won't give the guy the gun. The dealer is demanding that I take it back and send it all over again, shipping it through an FFL dealer on my end.

I have read the ATF site's information which says:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-carrier

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

So what is it with this dealer? Can anyone explain his policy?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some dealers will only accept from another FFL dealer, don't know why, but I guess its their choice. Most dealers including myself, would accept from an individual with just a copy of their drivers license.

JohnP
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JD,

Some licensed dealers fear or feel threatened by non FFL transactions. As a kneejerk reaction to that they require an FFL at both ends of any deal. These 'dealers' are not our freinds or yours. I steer cleer of them when I find out who they are, and I tell them WHY I am steering clear.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
some dealers are more confused about the law as buyers/sellers. and there is apparently nothing that compels them to do a transfer if they don't want to, or at least they can make up any chickensh*t policy they want to in order to keep you from using them.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How about wanting to buy a rifle from a seller in Canada and shipping it to my FFL in the U.S.? I'm afraid as much as I want the rifle, it may be too much hassle and paperwork to be worth it....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take a little time and read the "private firearm for sale" ads on Calguns. Of all the people in the US they seem to be the ones that are least likely to ship. It's really too bad, there are a lot of cool guns that direction but you won't get them to ship them. I purchased one, but only when he couldn't get anyone else to pay what he wanted. Not cutting anyone down from California. It just seems to be a mind set that most people have that live there. I'm guessing two people out of ten will ship a firearm. I think it's misunderstood how painless it is.

I miss Paul Harvey.
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,552
Posts18,453,601
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.