Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Last fall, I was the lucky owner of two very fine soft-shell jackets, the Kuiu Guide Jacket and Sitka Jetstream Jacket. These seem to be discussed often, so I thought my observations on the two may be of some benefit to others.

Disclaimer: I'm on nobodies' pro-staff and both jackets were bought with my own hard earned money. The observations below are my own and I've been known to be wrong from time-to-time.

Insulation: As typical of most soft-shell jackets, neither has significant insulation. However, the fleece lining on the Jetstream is a bit thicker and it felt warmer overall.

Pockets: The Guide has (2) hand and (1) interior chest. The Jetstream has (2) hand, (1) small left sleeve, (2) large and (1) small chest, and (1) interior chest. I REALLY REALLY wish the Guide jacket had a chest pocket. Personally, I would rather have chest than hand pockets. Half of the pockets on the Jetstream I never used.

Wind: The Jetstream uses a laminate (aka Windstopper) to provide the wind resistance. The Guide relies on the fabric. On paper the Jetstream would seem to be more wind resistant due to the laminate, and it probably is, but I never really noticed any significant difference in the field between the two.

Breathability: With everything closed up (front and pit zips) the Guide breathed better. This is likely due to the Jetstream's use of a laminate. With everything opened up, the difference was more subtle.

DWR: Kuiu has killer DWR.

Sizing: The sleeves and body of the Guide were approximately 1-1/2" longer than the Jetstream. I like the longer body length, especially with wearing a pack or sitting down. I'm still not sure about the sleeves. At times I find myself rolling the Guide's sleeves up and have thought about having them altered.

Weight: Both jackets were XL with the Jetstream about 4 oz heavier than the Guide.

Fabric: The Guide exterior fabric feels softer and quieter to the touch. Both are lined with micro fleece. If I had to choose one to do a stalk in it would be the Guide. Both stretch well.

Hoods: Both have very good hoods and collars, but the Guide fits my particular head better. YMMV.

Price: MSRP Jetstream $329, Guide $199.

Overall: Both are great jackets. In the end I ended up selling the Jetstream and keeping the Guide.

One final observation, during a fall hunt I wore the Jetstream during a rain storm for a couple of hours just to see what it would do. The DWR didn't last long as I was wearing a pack and pushing thru some dense foliage. But what surprised me was how well the laminate kept out the water. I know it's mainly intended for wind, but it did well at keeping water out as well. In fact, when I got back to camp and took it off the only areas that were wetted out inside were the seams (which BTW, there are a lot of on the Jetstream). Also, it seemed to take forever to dry out. Never did get it dry again in camp and took a solid day at home airing out to get completely dry.

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Thanks for great review. You sold me on kuiu guide jacket.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, thank you

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have owned both. Just got the Guide for Christmas. The fit for a tall guy is 100% better then on the Sitka Jetstream. That alone made me sell the Jetstream. I like you have zero connections to either company. One other thing I will say I noticed was that the stichting on the Kuiu is much tighter and has better termination. Sorry I am not a seamstress so I don't know the proper terminology. I will admit I was leary on buying something sight unseen in the Kuiu. After getting this jacket and looking it over really well and the few times I have used it so far, I can honestly say I am sold on their clothing.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
GREAT review! Kuiu is GREAT stuff and a great company.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used all of the Kuiu gear this fall. 12 days in the NWT and 7 days in the Kiabab. Good stuff!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
All I have is the attack pants and lighter wt merino top. Wore both in Colorado and Montana. Really impressed with the stuff although I don't have much to compare it with.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
So...what's the purpose of a marginally-insulating somewhat-heavy layer in a backpacking hunting wardrobe?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vek
So...what's the purpose of a marginally-insulating somewhat-heavy layer in a backpacking hunting wardrobe?

+1 vek I can't warm up to the idea of soft shells for backpacks. Lots of weight for the warmth the provide and aren't waterproof compared to lighter truly waterproof options.

That said the above is a great review though of the two jackets. But I will never pay money for a soft shell style jacket for backpack huntin again.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Vek

+1 vek I can't warm up to the idea of soft shells for backpacks. Lots of weight for the warmth the provide and aren't waterproof compared to lighter truly waterproof options.

That said the above is a great review though of the two jackets. But I will never pay money for a soft shell style jacket for backpack huntin again.

Luke,

So with that being said, what is your choice for backpack hunting? A puffy and a good waterproof shell?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes sir a good puffy is way warmer and a good waterproof is way drier than than a soft shell jacket is. A soft shell is heavier for what it provides and doesn't pack down very small and I was always bringing them along anyways and realized I would rarely use the soft shell. I have an article on my clothing system coming out this week I believe.

On another note have you had the big wave from Kona brewing co. It's pretty much awesome smile over here in kona now sippin on some excellent coffee this morning.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sounds like a good system. Curious about which type of shell. Where's the article coming out? Rokslide?

Is the BigWave a beer or a coffee? Never had one either way, but sittin in Kona sippin either one sounds pretty good right now!!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by BigWave
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Vek

Luke,

So with that being said, what is your choice for backpack hunting? A puffy and a good waterproof shell?

"Extreme Alpinist" Mark Twight says softshell works best in temps below 40F. The basic idea is it is most useful when used in a climate where it is worn most of the day, not carried. The "perfect" softshell day would be moderate activity in the snow above zero. Think of it as a cold-weather windshirt, with some added water resistance.Half goretex, if you will. The newest softshells like Marmot Driclime (good) and the Scheoller Nanosphere stuff aren't that heavy, as they don't rely on a membrane like the Gore windstopper stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tak, I agree I x-country ski and snowshoe in a soft shell, but for backpack hunting most of the time it isn't a large amount of snow, less than a foot usually, and never much below the teens for most of my hunts. For winter sports a soft shell is great, not so great for my backcountry uses.

Big wave,

Bigwave is a beer from kona brewing. Sippin on coffee this morning as its a bit too early for a brewski, yes on Rokslide btw.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Wicking t-shirt, exped-weight or light fleece midlayer, puffy coat, and shell is how I roll. Puffy is tuned to the season: Montbell jacket early, golite hooded jacket mid, patagonia DAS late.

Softshells make good pants, but this year I wore non-spray-painted solid brown sporthill pants (tight woven polypro), and they worked really, really well in september. Never mind looking like I'm wearing jammies - I'll never look as fashionable as the kuiu/sitka/camo du jour crowd.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A lot depends on the climate. I haven't worn a hard shell for ice climbing in probably the last +-20 days on ice; this has included days with no precip, dry snow, wet snow, snow coming sideways, and temps from 40* down to -10*. As long as I keep the DWR fresh a soft shell or windshirt is all I've wanted and the hard shell stays home.
On trips where it does get wet, they dry so much faster than hard shells it more than makes up the difference. I've hiked softshell pants dry dozens of times. Climate plays a big role there because Rockies air is dry enough to increase the rel. humidity gradient between pants (up to 100%) and the air (probably 20-30 on an average day).

Also "soft shell" is WAY too broad, there a dozens of iterations with varying weights, breathability, and water resistance. The truth about soft shells from Andy Kirkpatrick, who ought to know: "Cut the Crap"
My experience mirrors his. That said, it's not the only good way, just the one I like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vek
Wicking t-shirt, exped-weight or light fleece midlayer, puffy coat, and shell is how I roll. Puffy is tuned to the season: Montbell jacket early, golite hooded jacket mid, patagonia DAS late.

Softshells make good pants, but this year I wore non-spray-painted solid brown sporthill pants (tight woven polypro), and they worked really, really well in september. Never mind looking like I'm wearing jammies - I'll never look as fashionable as the kuiu/sitka/camo du jour crowd.

I Am not very stylish either with non camo base layers and fishing pants I am a total mess in the backcountry

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Amen to that - I'm finding this year that a softshell is too heavy for it's warmth, and that camo is over rated and over priced!

Originally Posted by Vek

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.