Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Why do you want a Series 70 Colt ? They are good guns. Heck, I've owned one since 1971. But I don't see them as as refined a gun as the modern Kimbers. E

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Why do you want a Series 70 Colt ? They are good guns. Heck, I've owned one since 1971. But I don't see them as as refined a gun as the modern Kimbers. E

E, I would give you a modern Kimber any day in trade for a Series 70 Colt, let's trade first then I will tell you why....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have owned a few Kimbers and currently own an Ultra Raptor that I really like. The only reason I don't care for the S&W or SIG is the external extractor - it's a purist thing.

NRA Benefactor member
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Purist? wink

Nothing wrong with the Ultra Raptor, but it would be tough to find a '1911' farther off the reservation.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Purist? wink

Nothing wrong with the Ultra Raptor, but it would be tough to find a '1911' farther off the reservation.

People act like the 1911 sprang from JMB's loins fully formed, or it was handed to him on a mountaintop like the ten commandments. For chrissakes, it took him like 10+ years to develop iterations of the basic design, and various features like the grip safety and grip angle were foisted on him by the Army. Of course, if its primary importance to you is as a religious totem rather than a tool, I guess things like the extractor could make you foam at the mouth.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You might as well tell us. My Mk.IV, Series 70 has a history with me so it's never going to be sold or traded. E

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I bought a kimber from a member here who worked for kimber so her kind off polished it up a little but it has been nothing but a joy to own and shoot. It sits ne xt to my bed ready to rock and roll if need be.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One thing I don't like about my Kimber pro caryy is that I need some stupid little device to dissassemble the barrel/spring assembly from the slide.

The reason I want a Series 70 is because during the course of a couple years, I worked at a recreational pistol range at Camp Pendleton and had the opportunity to shoot a lot of differnet hand guns. As a fan of the 1911, one of my coworkers considered selling me his series 70 for a good price, but he ended up backing out of the deal. He let me shoot it, and I'll be damned if that pistol didn't shoot like a million bucks. I have not shot any handgun as accurately as I did that one, and I have wanted one ever since.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a WAG since I am real far from being a 1911 expert, but the Colt Series 70 had a spring finger collet � four �fingers� grasping the barrel instead of a solid round one - which supposedly held the barrel more firmly and repositioned it to the slide more exactly.

My Series 70 was extremely accurate, it would cut raggedy one hole groups at 25 yards even with the issue tiny military style sghts.

One caveat is that those spring fingers could and did break. One of mine did and it tied up the gun solidly with the slide half way back, two people had to grab it and give mighty heaves to finally pull the slide back to unjam that finger. . It would have been a real downer had I really needed the pistol in operation, no way to easily clear that jam.

Since I was more interested in reliability than target grade accuracy we replaced it with a solid collet and it ran perfectly from then on.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RufusG

People act like the 1911 sprang from JMB's loins fully formed, or it was handed to him on a mountaintop like the ten commandments. For chrissakes, it took him like 10+ years to develop iterations of the basic design, and various features like the grip safety and grip angle were foisted on him by the Army. Of course, if its primary importance to you is as a religious totem rather than a tool, I guess things like the extractor could make you foam at the mouth.

laugh
So true. Funny how people forget that the current love for 1911's didn't even start until Kimber started manufacturing them in the late 90's. Now everybody makes a good 1911.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dla
...the current love for 1911's didn't even start until Kimber started manufacturing them in the late 90's...

I think I speak for many people here when I say........huh????

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm sorry but I fell in love with the 1911 when I got to own a Colt Gold Cup Back in the 70's. I'm still kick myself for selling that one.
When I got interested in combat shooting a few years later, I spent a day shooting up some extra target wadcutter ammo in my grandad's old 1911. That long triggered, and flat main spring framed 1911 really impressed me with it's handling and "shootability" on that day. I've conveted them ever since. E

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by dla

laugh
So true. Funny how people forget that the current love for 1911's didn't even start until Kimber started manufacturing them in the late 90's. Now everybody makes a good 1911.
Where in the H did that come from?..................Hb

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by dla

laugh

You need a history lesson or help reading?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I really don't have a horse in this race, but I will offer this observation about one gun: my Kimber Eclipse Target II is easily the best-shooting pistol I've ever owned (and thus far, 100% reliable). It's not going anywhere I don't go.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

laugh

...I can't speak for VaHillbilly, but I'd settle for an explanation of Kimber's impact on the "current love for 1911's"---maybe you were just being sarcastic (I hope).

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
O
OSB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The Kimbers are great unless their a II version.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gmoats

...I can't speak for VaHillbilly, but I'd settle for an explanation of Kimber's impact on the "current love for 1911's"---maybe you were just being sarcastic (I hope).

Kimber was the first mass-produced 1911 that was worth a crap. Better than Colt and good enough to give the custom made lines a scare.

Suddenly, anybody could buy an off-the-rack 1911 with all the features of custom guns - at a little over $500. Colt was pure excrement, and Springfield Armory hadn't figured out how to build a good gun yet. Para was Canadian and only shined in the high-cap frames - which Mr.Bill killed with his 1994 "crime bill". And Kimber is extremely popular today, even in the face of a lot of competition.

Why don't you know this? Can't stop playing video games long enough to google it yourself?

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

laugh

I think he's just delusional and a smart azz to boot, he may just be some kid on daddy's computer passing out insults..............Hb

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by dla

Why don't you know this? Can't stop playing video games long enough to google it yourself?

...where the heck did that come from? What's wrong with you? Not really interested in getting into a pissing contest, just trying to figure out why you think that Kimber is the catalyst for 1911 popularity. Based upon what you've said, I still don't know the answer, but I do wonder what color the sky is in your world.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (280fan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.