-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have a friend who doesn't have a whole lot of cash but is looking for a high-powered scope for a prairie dog rifle. Camera Land has a couple of good deals right now, the Vortex Crossfire in 8-32x50 for $129 and the Viper 6.5-20 for $279. Clearly, the Viper is a better scope, but it costs over 2x more.

So, is the view and quality of the Viper worth the extra $$$? In the Crossfire, though the magnification range goes to 32x, I suspect it's actual usable maximium might be in the low 20's or so (?). If anyone can support, rebutt, or otherwise discuss that thought based on experience, please go for it.

For those of you who have the Viper, how does it look at 20 power--is it clear and truly functional at that maximum magnification?

Any thoughts or advice, preferably based on first-hand experience with these scopes, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 4-12AO Crossfire and the 6.5-20x Viper.

IMHO, yes, the older Viper is worth the price difference over the older Crossfire line.
Optical quality in both is excellent, but the Viper excels in construction, feel and tracking adjustment consistency. The Viper side focus is also more accurate than the Crossfire AO. I suspect the Viper would also be more durable over the long term. Note that the Viper is also a 30mm scope. It's quite a bit larger.
Also,IMHO, anything over 20-24x is pretty much a waste in a 40-50mm objective scope of average quality. Exit pupil is too small at that point.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have Vortex Viper and non-Viper products. IMO the money spent to get to the Viper level is worth it, and the money spent to get better than the Viper may well not be worth it until you spend twice the money you're talking here.

You need optical quality for long range work more than at other times, especially high-volume work.

I would get the Viper. This is a lifetime glass hopefully. It should outlast the rifle barrel.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
He may also save in the long run, due to more quality and availability, if he does not have to have 50mm objectives. You don't need that at all for dogs.

The down side to big scopes, other than looking dumb IMO, is that they are heavier and clank around on more things than littler ones. They get knocked out of adjustment worse and catch more crap and debris in the front. I run 40 in my long range gun. I also do not need to shoot at night as it is against the law here. Even my 20mm objective scope sees better in the dark than I do. Ditto my 40s and 42.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Disclaimer; I work for a store/range that sells Vortex and I get them for cost.That being said I own Vortex binocs, spotting scope and several rifle scopes. I am always amazed at the cost:quality ratio of their products. I just spent the last 2 days with Viper 3-9x40 w/BDC reticle and couldnt be happier.All my stuff spends a lot of time being abused and I can't break any Vortex stuff yet. You cant touch the Viper at that cost and magnification plus features IMHO.
Good hunting, Mike R.
Ps I also get Leupold, Zeiss etc. at cost.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,528
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.