24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Been out in the shed tinkering with my Ruger No 1 .303, finally getting around to fitting a 1" red Pachmayr 'Old English' recoil pad... grinding went very smoothly with my new Gracoil Universal fixture. So far, so good...

While the stock was off the rifle, I thought I'd take the chance to fit the Kepplinger single set trigger I have had in the drawer for a few years.

Supposedly a straight-forward job, but I've had a devil of a time removing one vital pin... S-32!

According to all the web reports, after stripping off the safety detent spring, pin S-32 simply drives out in the usual manner... but this one WILL NOT shift!

I've tried tapping gently with the correct pin punch, driving harder with a brass drift, heating around the boss soaking in Ed's Red and tapping again... nothing will shift it.

Then I had a thought... you must remove this pin to fit an aftermarket trigger to the Ruger No 1, as the safety arm blocks access, and the Kepplinger trigger assembly won't load from the top.

Am I missing something or has Ruger decided to make pin S-32 a press fit to prevent the trigger being altered?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wish I knew the answer as I have a Kepplinger on a Mauser and am quite impressed. I was thinking of putting one on a 1V that has a bit of travel. Hope some one pipes in. Good luck, and I'll be watching.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stupid question. Have you tried pounding from both sides? Pin may be tapered or stepped. The old rule of out from the left and in from the right does not always apply. Even if it is not tapered or stepped sometimes you need to pound it the "wrong" way just to get it moving.

OP Offline
Not a stupid question... but the head of the pin where it fits through the safety lever is much larger in diameter and fits into a corresponding recess.

I'll try tapping it tighter just to see if it breaks the bond, Ruger could have designed a press fit or it could simply be held by a permanent grade of Locktite :{

From what I can make out in the exploded view, the pin body has a small shoulder so it can only go in so far and still give some running clearance to the lever.

I've discovered Brownells carry S-32 pins as a spare part... if all else fails I'll just drill it out and install a new one. Not at all my preference as I like to do things properly!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll call my gunsmith today,he has my trigger which may now installed on my .300HH custom stock...I'll post later

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TM,
I had the very same problem with a 1B 223 from about 1982 that I wanted to install a Kepplinger in.
I never did get that pin to move and gave up on the trigger switch.
Hopefully, the next time I try a Kepplinger installation, it will go more smoothly.
Perhaps some judiciously applied heat will do the trick if it is indeed "glued" in place?
Good luck and let us know if you're successful.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My gunsmith didn't mention that he had any particular "trouble" in installing the Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger on my #1 RSI in 7x57. Of course, it is likely he might not mention having any "problem" in doing what he commonly and professionally does as his livelihood.

I'd recommend you give the rifle and Kipplinger trigger to your gunsmith and let him/her deal with it. Your frustration with this knotty problem isn't worth the aggravation it's causing you at this point.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

OP Offline
Thanks for reporting back Ron.

It would seem that the pin is not designed as a press fit but could become tight as the reamer for the corresponding hole wears smaller in diameter.

When I read the supplementary fitting instructions on Brownells they say to 'remove' all the other pins but to 'drift out' pin S-32.

I know its causing me some angst (don't you hate it when a straightforward 5 min job turns into a week!) but I'm determined to fix it myself. Have ordered a spare pin from Brownells and will get the old one out one way or another wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's the Aussie spirit! ;-)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have installed 3 on my rifles. I made a little hardwood "bench block" to support the frame around the head side of the pin then a good healthy blow with a drive pin punch and a ball pene hammer.

While you have everything out, polish the bottom of that Ruger sear bar where the Kepplinger trigger housing contacts and rotates against it. It will make for a smoother unset pull.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 47 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.