24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too have lots of questions that I will be asking as time goes on. Like-will we have campfires and if so, will wood be available or do we all need to bring a little? I will ask others later. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the weekend dates are July 13 - 15, and no reason some can't be there longer if they choose.

If there are no forest restrictions on burning, due to dry conditions as last year, we certainly will have a campfire going most of the time, and wood is plentiful nearby. If we have "no burn" restrictions again due to lateness of rain, we have the option of choosing another nearby location for the camp - if that is most favorable to the most folks. TBD later when we know the conditions.

The location we used for the "camp" last summer was chosen because it was very close to the lake and ramp, and to two FS privies, and because we expected few other campers there that might be bothered by our aged antics. It is not an actual campground (tables, etc.) so no reservation is required. It's just that some of us have to get there early enough to stake out our area - easily done last year. We have to drive about three miles or so from there to the shooting ground used last year.

There are actual campgrounds nearby as well and, as normal, they are inhabited by whomever shows up - and some of those may not be much like our style. There is at least one very nice "no reservation" campground with privy a few miles from the lake, and a good thing about that one is that shooting can be done very close by - just out of camp - and rarely is it a busy place.

Then finally, if there are no fire restrictions and if we choose, there is the whole darn national forest right there with unending good places to camp and shoot - and the forest is your privy.

It will all turn out OK, just need to get closer and see the situation.

Last edited by CCCC; 03/05/12.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got it. I will not worry about reserving anything, and when time is close decide where to put the camp trailer let you guys help me figure it out then. Thanks for confirming the dates. If it looks like a set apart "reserved" site might be needed or beneficial I suppose one or more of you locals could set up a tent or something at the site where our camp trailer should go. No need for a privvy nearbuy if our trailer is there, and I GUARANTEE that our trailer toilet will smell better than a USFS outhouse! Much cleaner and much more female freidly, as well. Wifey will make SURE of that one!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Should it be considered a sickness that I have started loading ammo up for this trip grin
I have put together a mess of .223AI, 7-30 Waters, .45 Colt, .22 Hornet, .356 GNR,... with more to come!!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Should it be considered a sickness that I have started loading ammo up for this trip grin
I have put together a mess of .223AI, 7-30 Waters, .45 Colt, .22 Hornet, .356 GNR,... with more to come!!

Have you assembled any loads for that .444 bolt gun yet?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went out with intent of fireforming to make some brass a couple of weeks ago.
I went with a 13gr of blue dot, TP wad, and then I tried using some tumbling media filled to the base of the neck as the inert filler. All it did was stretch the shoulder out... it came no where near going clyindrical like it needs to.
I think the charge of blue dot was a tad light, and I think the tumbling media blew out too easily and didn't allow it to bump out like it should...
I should have just gone and used the cream of wheat like Ken advised, but I didn't chance to grab any and I know media has worked in a pinch.

I can assure you though the .444 Howell will bark in Quemado and some animal will fall to it this year... even if its just a yote. grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cool! I am working up loads for a .458WM that run all the way from full-house factory 510gr loads down to heavy bullet 45LC levels, i.e., 350gr LRNFP @ 850fps.

If the hogs ever show back up in this part of the world again I'll whack one (or two grin) with it.

Anybody want to buy a limited edition Marlin .45-70? laugh

Should be fun!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Failure to blow the taper out shows that 13 grains of Blue Dot isn't enough to do the job all the way. Try 14 grains with only one case, then a tad more with only one case if that's not enough.

When you've found the charge that forms the case right but doesn't imprint it with tool marks from the chamber, go ahead with the rest of your bunch of cases.

I don't assume that Cream of Wheat or Instant Ralston would for any reason be superior to tumbler medium. (The medium would be more abrasive � a way to flush fouling out, maybe?)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody want to buy a limited edition Marlin .45-70?

Hmmm?
Could make a good companion to that Contender in .45-70 I have. grin

Ken, my thinking was that since the corn cob media was more coarse it wasn't filling in dense enough to let the pressure build really.
I will do it exactly as you say next time.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Got it. I will not worry about reserving anything, and when time is close decide where to put the camp trailer let you guys help me figure it out then. Thanks for confirming the dates. If it looks like a set apart "reserved" site might be needed or beneficial I suppose one or more of you locals could set up a tent or something at the site where our camp trailer should go. No need for a privvy nearbuy if our trailer is there, and I GUARANTEE that our trailer toilet will smell better than a USFS outhouse! Much cleaner and much more female freidly, as well. Wifey will make SURE of that one!

If you want to come earlier or stay later than the week-end, there's still plenty of trailer space between the house and the forty-foot container.

And there's an AC hook-up out there. Sorry, no water or waste hook-up.

The gals usually like tubs better than showers (me too!), so mine is always available regardless of where you park the trailer.

I have no testosterone left, and I've never hankered to have a gal dust my pubis with her eye lashes, so I'm as harmless as a cigar-store Indian. Just like to be nice to 'em when I can (but don't hafta hear 'em nag and whine). They can be nice to have around, now 'n' then, especially if they're somebody else's responsibility.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never hankered to have a gal dust my pubis with her eye lashes,

WOW ___ you sure do have a way with words -!lol

Nice

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
They have trout? There is trout there? shocked

At first, carp were a big problem in the lake.

Then they dumped some muskies in there to control the carp.

For a while, the muskies were catch-and-release only, but now (I think) they're catch, scale, and filet.

Trout? I don't know. Sorry.

Something else that I just learned � no gas motors on the lake (only electric or "Armstrong" propulsion).

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am getting more and more excited about this trip. We might show up early and camp/fish at the lake for a day or three. I have never even SEEN a Muskie, always wanted to fish for them. Time to buy some Muskie leaders and various Muskie Spoons, eh? Will have to figure out how to rig a top side carrier for a small boat so that we can also carry one of the Motorcycles in the bed of the rig. Our trailer rack only holds two, and I want to bring all three. DR200, KLR650 and the ROKON.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark they have rental boats with electric motors at the lake. I don't remember how much they were, but it wasn't very much I don't think.
They have tiger muskies in the lake and I think they have a slot size for keepers. Gary/azcoues fished for them, and I had planned to but never ended up doing it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is VERY good to know as it saves us a lot of headache and backache trying to load and unload a borrowed boat.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think that Snuffy's Tackle Shop, on the road to the lake, is the outfit that rents the boats.

575-773-4672

I have no idea what time they open and close. Probably different seasons, different hours.

The 'phone book lists the same 'phone number for "Snuffy's Sports HQ, Steakhouse, & Saloon." laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
At first the lake was troubled with carp as Ken said, then they introduced and cross bred Walleyed Pike to try to control the carp. They soon nicknamed the cross bred fish CoWalls. It worked fairly well, but the CoWalls were not agressive enough so the CoWalls were cross bred with Muskies which led to the fish called the CoWallSkis. The only problem with the CoWallSkis were agressive enough it was they just had to be tought how to swim......Apologies Ken, couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Ruger 4570; 03/19/12.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That yarn comes from a burlesque letter (presented in Mad Comics fashion as "official") purportedly from Michigan F&G.

The story was that F&G fisheries wanted to improve the sporting qualities of the Coho salmon by crossing it with the wall-eyed pike.

But the Co-Wal cross didn't exhibit enough fighting spirit, so they crossed the Co-Wal with the muskellunge � and had to teach the Co-Wal-Ski how to swim.

Old yarn, still as good as ever! laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
y'all are bad..... wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Answer your phone Leslie!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 14 of 32 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.