-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way, I have no issues with any Protestant religions. I think Luther's reasons for reformation were rightous and with true hearted intent. It was a long time ago, but a lot of the things Catholic Priests were doing back then were wrong even according to their own faith. The worst of which, in my mind, was actually charging for absolution of sins. Pathetic, but I have to admit it's true. The Church admits it as well.

As said, so much has changed and the rift is not as bad.

A great example is how civil and friendly this thread is so far. No personal attacks. It's refreshing and heart warming. Thanks to all here. Truely. I had a rough night at work and this thread as made me feel better. Peace Brothers.

GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
good points. can't we all just get along?

reminds me of the story of one of my great grand mothers. her family was very sad that she chose to leave an upstanding Lutheran upbringing and felt by the wayside and joint the Baptists.

they never forgave her.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I recall,Luther had no intention of establishing a different "church",just reforming the existing one.

It was the "Church's" reaction to his demands for reform that resulted in a new "church",which very quickly became new "churchs".

It's obvious that NONE of the christian "churchs", including the RC version,come wihin rock throwing distance of the congregations established by St. Paul.

I'm NOT saying that it is a bad thing- the fact that they vary so much from the originals - just observing and comparing.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Tribal identities are big inside AND outside the Church. Unfortunately we inside sometimes fail to demonstrate the courage of our convictions in the charity we (don't) show our brothers & sisters in the faith. I know I've been guilty of that, though older age has smoothed some of my rough edges.

The more I come to see the Father for who He is, the more I come to recognize just how deeply sinful I am, and by extension just how gracious God has been to me. One cannot help but be grateful when things go in that direction, though I'm still occasionally prone to self-righteousness.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a theological difference between organizations. In terms of disdain, that would be a personal preference or choice based on whatever or whomever was/is the misguided individual.

IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Why is there so much disdain from other Christian's towards Catholics? I truly don't know what the reason/s are. They were even one of the 3 K's in KKK.

Thanks

Steel, I don't have disdain. Some of by best friends and some of the best people I've ever known are catholic. Some talk of their love of the church above all things. To me, from a biblical perspective, the church are those who worship the Lord. The way I read the bible leads me to feel the church does not in all ways follow the Bible teachings. The Bible says we are to love Him above all things and pray FOR the church. I have heard the pope say to pray To the church, as if it were my Savior. The catholic church, to me, does not stand up for my God given freedoms, but is ok with people living on welfare and eating steaks I have to work and pay for. I heard the Catholic Diocese of San Antonio on the radio say their only problem with brobam (before the election) was their concern about his stand on abortion, when they know full well he supported early and late term abortion and infanticide in his history. When asked about their stand on welfare they said that since the Laws Of The US give us to the 'pursuit of happiness' it was their right to lay on their ass and be supported by others if that's what they preferred. The Lord said if one Would not work, he shant eat. He also said, 'a man is to provide for themself AND their family or they reject the faith'. I would say His Law precedes.
He told me to call no one Father but Him. I have access to Him in prayer by the Holy Spirit. I call no man on this earth Father since all on this earth are fallible. If I can confess to a man on this green earth for forgiveness, I don't need Jesus. I especially don't pray for forgiveness to a guy who I give money to provide for. All churches are Comprised of men and all are fallible in their precepts because of it. No man on this earth is a prophet in all aspects of Bible prophecy as the Lord tells us in the Bible, as He tells us parts of Bible prophecy we will not understand until time passes to the point certain revelations are opened to us. Since no church can be perfect I best pray to and worship Him.
most of the big churches are members of the world council of churches, who, in Bible prophecy will be revealed to be one of the four heads of the beast. Remember when they chastised RReagan for retrieving our students from Granada. Remember when they support the loss of our second amendment and our capability to live free of tyranny. One church is positioned to profit and survive the coming tyranny. I know he said there will be a time He will change our weapons into plowshares. That He will do in His time.
Does God want us to continue putting up with murderes, or does He tell us that the elders of the church are to hunt them down and kill them. Yet, in almost all cases the church is there fighting our chance to do so.
I can understand feeding the poor. But the church says nothing against their own parishoners who stand in line ahead of me with two baskets of goods and the guy buys boxes of bottled water and cases of beer with his cash and the wife buys fillet mignon and orange juice and oysters and shrimp and fresh blackberries with our money. Why, they have made a pact with the devil.
Now, with the likes of Pelosi and Biden, their chickens are coming home to roost. Let us take care. There will be a great gnashing of teeth.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Why is there so much disdain from other Christian's towards Catholics? I truly don't know what the reason/s are. They were even one of the 3 K's in KKK.

Thanks

I don't believe there is. Like many have said, I've had lots of Catholic friends, been to mass, and believe as many Catholics are likely saved as in most other churches. But I could never be one because I see a lot of doctrinal issues differently than their church teaches. A problem can arise when attempts at discussion of those doctrinal issues is attempted and that depends completely on those attempting the discussion. Certainly, the same can occur between those of other denominations, too. I have no problem participating in such conversations, but that's not true for everyone.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Many Protestant churches will partake in their support of their part of the four headed beast, for their financial survival.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pira114
2. There is a huge disdain for some connections of previous Popes and world governments. Along with that came some fairly obvious corruption in the past. Add to that the blatent recent cover ups with sexual abuse by Priests, and it's kinda easy to see how some can view the whole Church as evil. I myself almost left the Church over that. It was difficult for me to say the least. It was shocking to learn it was happening, and even worse to find out it was being covered up at some pretty high levels. Impossible to defend.

So, you left the Church because you found out it was run by people, with people faults and people wants and people greed?

And now you're doing the Christian-straight-to-God thing and you have no faults, wants, or greed?

The institution of the Church today has no more responsibility for deeds or misdeeds of the past than I personally do for slavery. You've applied faulty logic to the situation.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
2. There is a huge disdain for some connections of previous Popes and world governments. Along with that came some fairly obvious corruption in the past. Add to that the blatent recent cover ups with sexual abuse by Priests, and it's kinda easy to see how some can view the whole Church as evil. I myself almost left the Church over that. It was difficult for me to say the least. It was shocking to learn it was happening, and even worse to find out it was being covered up at some pretty high levels. Impossible to defend.

So, you left the Church because you found out it was run by people, with people faults and people wants and people greed?

And now you're doing the Christian-straight-to-God thing and you have no faults, wants, or greed?

The institution of the Church today has no more responsibility for deeds or misdeeds of the past than I personally do for slavery. You've applied faulty logic to the situation.

But he - unlike you - was attempting to answer Scott's question.This IS NOT a "Catholic bashing thread".............yet.Your response moves it in that direction.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you all some stuff but don't go beating me over the head for it. I'm just relaying what I've sat thru and heard the Southern Baptist preachers say at the church I go to.

They firstly refer to the Catholic Church as a "cult" lumping it in with Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses.

The thing I hear all the time from traveling evangelists is that "my Jesus don't hang on the cross no more, He sits at the right hand of God". "using a priest as a go-between to communicate with God" - they don't go for that either. That's just what I've heard for 30 years in the Baptists churches here in the South.

But, heck.......Southern Baptist will vehemently diss even other Protestant denoms like "cults". LOL they treat Church of Christ people like idgits for their predestination beliefs and their non-security of the believer stance. They don't like Presbyterians because they let womenz preach the Gospel and don't like Methodists because they let homos preach and homos marry. Back in 1999,we had an F3 tornado make a direct hit on a historic Methodist church here in town. Baptists (some) were claiming God's judgement for their homo sympathizing ways. Lmao crazy

I'm just presenting a fly on the wall account to help with the OP's question. So don't anyone start any bullsh!t with me. I'm not the type to get too overworked about religious stuff-least not anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the south the three K's in the KKK was often heard as 'Kikes, Koons and K(C)atholics'

The founders of the first of the three discrete KKKs coined the name Ku Klux Klan from the Greek word kyklos ("circle") and clan ("family"). The name originally meant just "circle of brothers."

No form of Christianity or the church had anything to do with the organization, its purposes, its operations, the name, or its abbreviation.

(Similarly, one of Roosevelt's Depression federal programs was the "Works Progress Administration." The Southern colloquial interpretation of its "WPA" abbreviation as "Whittle, Piss, and Argue" had nothing to do with what the program's name or its abbreviation officially stood for.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
By the way, I have no issues with any Protestant religions. I think Luther's reasons for reformation were rightous and with true hearted intent. It was a long time ago, but a lot of the things Catholic Priests were doing back then were wrong even according to their own faith. The worst of which, in my mind, was actually charging for absolution of sins. Pathetic, but I have to admit it's true. The Church admits it as well.

As said, so much has changed and the rift is not as bad.

A great example is how civil and friendly this thread is so far. No personal attacks. It's refreshing and heart warming. Thanks to all here. Truely. I had a rough night at work and this thread as made me feel better. Peace Brothers.

Perversion isn't limited to the Catholic church. Just look to any social gathering in your local community - schools, work places, bureaucracies, agencies, regulatory boards and committees, families at large - and you'll find an equatable amount of perversion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A huge problem faces the catholic and many older protestant denominations. It has been the slow takeover of the homosexuals, and those who are tolerant of the homosexuals. It's no secret that both catholic and protestant seminaries are havens for homosexuality.

I have nothing but respect for the individual catholics I know. The local church is awesome. The homosexual problem they currently have at the leadership level will eat them from the inside out though.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter

my reading of his posts indicate he remains a member of the Catholic Church.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had never heard the "whittle, piss and argue" name for WPA. The old ones I learned from used to call them the "Happy Pappy's"

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
A huge problem faces the catholic and many older protestant denominations. It has been the slow takeover of the homosexuals, and those who are tolerant of the homosexuals. It's no secret that both catholic and protestant seminaries are havens for homosexuality.

I have nothing but respect for the individual catholics I know. The local church is awesome. The homosexual problem they currently have at the leadership level will eat them from the inside out though.

Which raises a question;

Should homosexuals be allowed to own firearms or to purchase hunting and fishing licenses?

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
A huge problem faces the catholic and many older protestant denominations. It has been the slow takeover of the homosexuals, and those who are tolerant of the homosexuals. It's no secret that both certain catholic and protestant seminaries are havens for homosexuality.

Fixed it for ya; but you're right, there are always those within both groups who are hanging off the left edge of orthodoxy if not out there in space beyond it.

Sad but true... thanks be to God that He protects His remnant.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Which raises a question;

Should homosexuals be allowed to own firearms or to purchase hunting and fishing licenses?

I assume you're making a joke; I don't see how the two points have anything to do with one another.

Homosexuality's status as a sin in the Church doesn't exempt them from civil rights, at least not in my mind.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[quote=pira114

Part of that, is the disagreement that the Pope can speak infallibly on matters of spirituality. [/quote]

This is a very common opinion of the "Doctine of Papal Infallibility" and it is wrong. I addressed this here some years ago, when the athiest BCB made the same error and stated that Catholics believe.....the Pope is never wrong....

I took the time to speak with the then Pastor of Holy Rosary Cathredral, in Vancouver, BC to refresh my decades-old catechismal studies and this is the factual doctrine.

The Pope is infallible when he speaks "Ex Cathedris" and rules on matters of Catholic doctrine ONLY. This, is NOT the same as the Holy Roman Catholic Church-Vicar of Christ claiming total infallibility comcerning human spirituality.

This doctrine is SO RARE in it's position in Catholic Canon, that it has been employed only TWICE since it's pronouncement. The initial pronouncement to affirm and declare it and the declaration of The Assumption.

I might add, that the zealous "reformer" and, to some degree, protagonist of the horrific and bloody religious genocide of his time in Europe, Martin Luther, when on his death bed, begged for "Extreme Unction", the death sacraments of the RC Church and asked for a priest thereof and not a "Lutheran" minister to attend his final hours.

I wonder why?

Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 69 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.