Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#6302160 - 03/17/12 10:55 AM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: FlyboyFlem]
BrentD Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA
The majority of Iowa coyotes are dog hybrids? Who did this work?

#6302162 - 03/17/12 10:55 AM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: BrentD]
Maverick940 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: BrentD

I was hoping you might be able to cite agency literature. As you know, lay science is highly suspect. Are there any agency accounts you can point to? That would be helpful.

#6302170 - 03/17/12 10:57 AM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: Maverick940]
BrentD Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA
no lay science. Not even sure what that is. Agency work is poorly reviewed and generally of second tier quality where NOT published in the mainstream literature like these.

More than likely, these studies were funded by agencies of several sorts. Check the acknowledgements yourself. I know a few of the authors and they are the best of the bunch.

#6302178 - 03/17/12 11:02 AM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: BrentD]
FlyboyFlem Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Nebraska
I hunt on both sides of the Missouri river, my pards and I have taken many over the years that aren't pure coyote..some almost charcoal in color.I killed a really big one mottled in color out of my bow stand about 5 yrs ago so they are around.

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

#6302182 - 03/17/12 11:02 AM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: BrentD]
Maverick940 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: BrentD
no lay science. Not even sure what that is. Agency work is poorly reviewed and generally of second tier quality where NOT published in the mainstream literature like these.

More than likely, these studies were funded by agencies of several sorts. Check the acknowledgements yourself. I know a few of the authors and they are the best of the bunch.

So you're saying that you don't trust the biologists who work for your own state's department?

#6302398 - 03/17/12 12:13 PM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: Maverick940]
CCCC Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: New Mexico High Country
Maverick940: Would you kindly provide the authoritatve source to support your statement, as follows:?
Quote:
Maverick940: Brent: Possibly in Old Mexico there might be, but in the Sitgreaves reintroduction area which encompasses the entire Arizona/New Mexico population, the population is pure and no hybridization has occurred. So, I'm not sure which agency you're citing. Maverick

Thanks.

#6302438 - 03/17/12 12:27 PM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: CCCC]
Maverick940 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By: CCCC
Maverick940: Would you kindly provide the authoritatve source to support your statement, as follows:?
Quote:
Maverick940: Brent: Possibly in Old Mexico there might be, but in the Sitgreaves reintroduction area which encompasses the entire Arizona/New Mexico population, the population is pure and no hybridization has occurred. So, I'm not sure which agency you're citing. Maverick

Thanks.

In relation to Mexican Grey Wolf reintroduced populations:

New Mexico Game and Fish; Arizona Game and Fish; Department of the Interior, United States Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service; Department of Agriculture, National Forest Service.

#6302456 - 03/17/12 12:35 PM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: n007]
PaleRider Offline
Campfire Regular

Coyote my A$$ crazy

#6302487 - 03/17/12 12:48 PM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: FlyboyFlem]
Johnny Dollar Offline
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted By: FlyboyFlem
I hunt on both sides of the Missouri river, my pards and I have taken many over the years that aren't pure coyote..some almost charcoal in color.I killed a really big one mottled in color out of my bow stand about 5 yrs ago so they are around.

Woody,
You and I share the same basic area, except I'm about 90 miles north of you. We have taken and seen some of the dark gray 'yotes and have seen one of the mottled charcoal dudes. However, all of them had the face and tail and were the size of a coyote. I don't know if they are hybrids or if it is a color phase.

I know that none of them looked like the canine in the picture.

Years ago we had a BIG dark canine that we nicknamed "The Bass Singer" he sounded like a bass trombone when he vocalized. He always seemed to be in an area between the Elkhorn river and some feedlots in the sandhills. Saw him twice but never close enough to get a shot. Then he disappeared. A couple years later my oldest daughter and I were calling in a really brushy oxbow right on the river at night. It was during the rut and I had challenged called a few times with nothing answering. Then - I heard something breaking thru the crust on the snow. I challenge called again and got an immediate answer that rattled the filings in my teeth. Bass singer or his progeny was back! My daughter, who was in her mid-20's at the time, and an experienced caller/hunter, stood straight up and said out loud: "I'm going back to the truck!!" End of that hunt.

I would guess that there was more than a little woof blood in that critter too.

Johnny $

#6302528 - 03/17/12 01:02 PM Re: Big Coyote, really big. [Re: Johnny Dollar]
FlyboyFlem Online   content
Campfire Outfitter

Wish I could dig it out but took a pic several years ago of one really big one in a group of 4 that came by at first light as I just got in my stand.Charcoal in color and at least 1/3 larger than the rest with a not so bushy tail[no mange either].I know these aren't wolf or chupacabra crosses and too numerous to be mutations so I'm confident they have domestic canine DNA or what else could it be? eek grin

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on 2013 McKINLEYS from CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
660 registered (19rabbit52, 16gauge, 10generation, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 1408 Guests and 353 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633891 Topics
9093420 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.