Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Does Kimber still make rimfires? I was in a local gunshop today and they had a used Kimber in .17 hmr. A nice gun, but does Kimber still make rimfires?

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not unless they've started again recently

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't recall Kimber making a 17HMR even when they did make rimfires. The 17 Mach2 was available in the varmint.

WarDamnEagle
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Not at the moment, but I'm sure a bunch of people would like to see them start back. Kimber doesn't seem to be in any hurry to start back into the rimfire rifle business either, they must be making plenty of money on their 1911 pistol line, I don't know if they sell a whole bunch of centerfire rifles, I do know that quality on these rifles is very iffy from one particular rifle to the next, I have a buddy that bought a $1100.00 Montana recently and is one sick dude right now as this rifle is one of the worst shooters I have ever had the displeasure of being around. The rifle is presently back at Kimber, he sent it back almost two months ago and has heard nothing from Kimber.............Hb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
kimber no longer produces .22 cal rifles. i had a .22 "hunter" model for several years and it was a wonderful rifles in every respect. i bought it just for squirrel hunting, but just couldn't relax and let the dings/scratches happen, so i sold it to a campfire member a couple years ago.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a Kimber Hunter about 10 years ago. It is a finely crafted rifle that is quite accurate. It has become my favorite .22 rifle and is used often for squirrel hunting. I use it with the care due any fine tool, but it was made to be put to use.

μολὼν λαβέ
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They used to make them out here in God's country (Oregon) and they looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That is an interesting combo on the bottom one, I have never seen that before. Was that factory or did you do a "build" to come up with that?

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That gun was custom ordered (made) for an engineer at the Kimber factory. He hand picked the wood. The receiver, rings, floorplate/trigger guard, sling studs and magazine are nickled with a brushed finish. The rifle is stunning to see in person.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by papalondog; 03/18/12.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by papalondog
They used to make them out here in God's country (Oregon) and they looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow!! Love those. I wish I would have bought some of them back when they were being made. But, I was into K22's made by KDF at the time.

I do have 2 Kimber Montana's and one Kimber Classic. Most accurate out of the box factory rifles I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. It took a bit to learn to shoot something that light from a bench, but once I figured that out......wow!! Very consistent shooters. Now I'm going to save up for one of the rimfires.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Kimber never made a 17HMR rifle.

It must have either been a 17 Centerfire or a 17Mach 11

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
WOW Papalondog nice rifles.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wareagle
I don't recall Kimber making a 17HMR even when they did make rimfires. The 17 Mach2 was available in the varmint.

There an echo in here?

WarDamnEagle
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

There an echo in here?

Echo - Yes on the 17 M2, but No on the centerfire.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one of their Mach II rimfire models and it threw flyers all day long. Sent it to the factory and it came back with a different stock. I thought that was great until I noticed the barrel wasn't square in the channel and touched heavily on one side. Back to the factory and it was returned with the same stock with a widened channel on the left side. Looked horrible and grouped worse than any rifle I have ever owned (rimfire or centerfire). Getting rid of that thing was like a huge weight lifted off of me as the dismal accuracy, and the price I paid for it, left me sick to the stomach much like a kick in the ole' applebag.
I absolutely love their 1911 pistols, and own several, but I will never buy another rifle produced by them.

Last edited by Luvthemtorts; 04/21/12.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you can find a used Kimber Classic 22 buy it. You'll be glad you did deadly accurate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's one in the Classifieds here right now.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I may be taking a look at one of the old Kimber Americans in .22 lr later this week. Now why are the Cooper .22s so dang expensive? They must be at least another $1,000+ more than a nice used Kimber. I'd like one, because it would be a step up in fit and finish over my Savage Mk II, but I am not sure it would be a whole lot more accurate. The heavy barrel Savage is just the thing for head shooting squirrels, but that is a big price to pay for some nice walnut.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a K of O lefty. As we lefties all know, port side guns are expensive when you want to buy one, and cheap if you want to sell.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by E Blair
I'd like one (Cooper?), because it would be a step up in fit and finish over my Savage Mk II, ...

From my limited experiecne, that is a bit of an understatement.

Last edited by avagadro; 04/23/12.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.