Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey gang,

Has anyone tried or currently using Hybrid 100V powder?
I was on the Barnes website and really liked what I seen on paper, as far as ballistics go, with this powder and 80 grain TTSX out of the 25-06. Thinking of giving it a try but wondered what you guys thought of the powder and if people that have used it had any issues with it.
Much thanks!

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use it in my 6mm Rem and I cant see using anything else in that one. Works good in my 243 and OK in my 260.

Velocity in the 6mm was much better than anything else could do and accuracy is friggin great.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
It isn't a 25-06 but 100-V is the only powder that has "cut the mustard" in my BLR 284!
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
H100V has proven very accurate and fast when I've loaded it in several cartridges. The one downside is that it isn't particularly temp-resistant. In one cold-weather experiment it lost almost 200 fps from 70 to zero F., accuracy wasn't as good, and point of impact shifted a little. The point of impact shift sometimes happens with cold-weather velocity loss and sometimes doesn't, depending on the individual rifle.

I haven't tested any in really warm temperatures, but powders that lose a lot of velocity in cold also tend more at temperatures above 70 as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone.
JB,
That is one reason I have been affraid to use the reloader line of powders because I hear they vary aswell. Have you noticed any change in them?
Most of my shooting I expect would be from 30 to 90 degrees more or less depending on where I am hunting and time of year. SO the temp will vary enough and now I'm worried about the powder I decide to use. Too bad its not an extreme powder.

Thoughts?

Enrique O. Ramirez

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
H100V might work pretty well at those temperatures. In my experience it takes real cold to cause the drastic drops in muzzle velocity that can cause point-of-impact shifts. And 90 isn't super-hot, either.

I haven't done any zero-degree tests on the Reloder powders for a while, but they would probably work OK within your range of temperatures. Of course, the only way to tell for sure is to test them, especially in your rifle!

Have you tried any of the Ramshot powders? They're the most temp-resistant double-based powders I've tried.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Normally I dont shoot anything less than 110s in a 25.06 just due to the fact that I have quite a few calibers that will shoot up to 100 grs that are easier on the shoulder and the wallet. Most of my use for this caliber is for speed goats and deer.
Here in Nebr. November deer season can be quite a mixed bag of weather. 75 degrees one day, and -5 the next is not unheard of. The only time I have run into problems using RL22 is when I went to charges out of the Hornady book. Hornady goes about 3 to 4 grs higher on max than does Sierra or Alliant on that powder.
For cold weather (-10 to 60) usual temps for that time are 0-45, my normal 115 to 117 load is 51.5 grs RL22. If its going for speed goats where the temps can get higher I back it off to 50.5 and get the same performance.
My only time of problems was when I loaded 54 grs and a 115 BT. I pierced a couple of primers on a 70 degree day at the range while zeroing. Used the Hornady book. Havent done that in about 20 years now, and that book hasnt been used since.
I tend to develop my loads in the temps I am going to use them the most, and basically go by the powder manufacturer or Sierra for my max charges. Its worked for me for a long time with no problems. But thats IMO only.
Good Luck with your 25.06

Swifty

Swifty
Enrique Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I keep hearing good thing about Ramshot powders. I know I need to try some and should, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I am going to be loading hopefully before it gets too warm so I can atleast get a good load worked up.
Figure this 25-06 with 80 grain TTSX would be perfect for coues, javelina and speed goats (if I ever draw a tag) out to 500 yards. Got my 7 mag for everything else and for long range hunting.

Thanks for the heads up on the trick Swifty and thanks JB for the other powder info. A lot to research and consider.

Enrique O. Ramirez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
221 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.