Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Assuming you're not using drowning rigs or snares, how do you dispatch your critters that are caught in foot hold traps?

I would think .22 long rifle would be the most common method for yotes and fox etc. or does that drop the price you get for the hide?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

BP-B2

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
22 lr between the eyes and it will not lower price as long as it does not exit. Have been doing this for a long time and have had no prlblems.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I use CB longs for everything (1 in the dome), with the exception of coyotes. This year I had a few issues with penetrating the skull on a couple so I use standard LR on them. Im thinking its this batch of ammo since Ive used the CB longs for 20 years or more, but who knows?

Joseph

Joseph
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
.22 LR soft points I assume?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
raccoon and possum: .22 short to the head. a couple .22 holes make no difference on any pelt

fox: compression
bobcat: catchpole
coyote: either compression, or a .22 short behind the elbow
skunk: .22 behind elbow, or syringe ....if you shoot in the head they will spray

beaver, otter: dead on arrival. I did have to shoot an otter in the head once that was caught on a long chain, with a .22 short. Out like a light.

a .22 short is all that's ever needed. For long hair, fur out, it's best not to shoot because cleaning up blood is a big pita, and other methods are just as easy and humane. Shooting a coyote behind the elbow is faster and less messy than in the head.

If you want an explanation of any methods I discussed, shoot me a PM.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Thanks readonly. I tried to send you the below in a PM but the filter at work wouldn't allow it so I will post it here as a reply.

I do have a couple of questions.

What do you mean by "compression" and "catchpole"?

I'm envisioning standing on the rib cage over the vitals for compression and a pole with a noose on it for catchpole but I could be way off. smile

Also, when you shoot them behind the elbow, is it really a faster, cleaner kill than a head shot?

Thanks for the info! I trapped some as kid. Not very succesfully though. I'm interested in getting back into it, mainly to thin out the coyotes.

Rooster

*Edit* The PM did work. Thanks for the info readonly.

Last edited by Rooster7; 01/30/12.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always knocked them out with a blow to the top of the nose .[ with a stick] and then stomped them behinde the shoulder, to dislocate arterys from heart. no holes and less messy when skinning. skunks shot with .22 lr

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wolverine and wolves I shot them in the lungs with a 22lr.
Fox,coyote,and marten I give a tap on the head a step on their heart lung area.
Lynx we use a pole with a snare and choke them down,usually less than a minute for that.[Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
We were using .22 shorts so long ago that they were cheaper than long rifles. ;-{>8

The large end of a pool cue is your friend.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On leg hold traps we use a 6' piece of 1" pvc pipe with a wire loop run through it to get mink around the neck and cut off their air supply. The buyer doesn't like holes in the fur. For others like coons, feral cats, and coyotes a .22 does fine.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have always used a .22 of some sort, generally in low-velocity Short format, and shot them in the head. Over the course of more than a quarter-century trapping, I dispatched many critters that way. The only exception would be the rare skunk that would get caught, and I'd place a high-vel HP slightly high through the shoulders. Such a shot would keep the skunk from spraying, and damage to the lungs would have it out cold in a matter of seconds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by waterrat
Wolverine and wolves I shot them in the lungs with a 22lr.
Fox,coyote,and marten I give a tap on the head a step on their heart lung area.
Lynx we use a pole with a snare and choke them down,usually less than a minute for that.[Linked Image]

+1, when I trapped in Alaska this is exactly the way I dispatched them. However all the Marten were already dead when I showed up.

Focus on the leading edge!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For fox, I would cut the catch circle in half by stepping into the circle and the fox would try to go directly away from you and sooner or later he would put the trap between his legs trying to power out. At that point, I would grab it by the tail and pick it up off the ground and grab it by the throat. Then I would pin it to the ground with my knee and while holding onto it's throat, I would grab it by the nose and bend it back over the neck and put alot of force on it till it broke.
Yotes... I would bonk them on the nose with my trappers shovel, stuning them and then I would roll them over on their back... stretch there nose out streight and with the edge of the shovel, I would hit them as hard as I could in the middle of the throat 2 or 3 times. When their legs stuck streight up when you hit them, you knew they were done for.
Did coons the same way but I hit them on top of the head. VERRRY rarely did I ever have a gun in the truck except to shoot skunks. Everything else died by the trapping shovel.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
22 short.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bonk em on the nose to stun them, then step behind the shoulder and on the nose to hold their head down. a .22 works too

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nose bonk, and .22 short in the ear canal.

I'd cut 1/2 the bullet tip away, and stuff kleenex in the ear canal to stop the bleeding.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have brain shot hundreds of skunks that were trapped in leg holds. After the shot you have about 8 or 10 seconds to get them out of the trap and throw them a short distance away before they spray. You don't want to fumble around doing it though. There will of course be some residual odor from the spraying on the skunk, but he already had a fair bit of that before he was trapped any ways. Strange but after a lot of exposure to skunk sprays I became aware that one of the predominate components of the smell was similar to acetone or lacquer thinner. It takes more than occasional exposure to isolate that scent though. Skunk odor eventually became non-objectionable to me. But it was always interesting to walk into a grocery store after a day checking traps and watch heads turn and people make way. My leather boots absorbed a lot of skunk smell from working at the set site. I believed a well skunk seasoned pair of boots was a great help in masking human odor when making fox and coyote sets.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the head shot. I always find the long rifle .22 somewhere next to the hide when I skin. Now I started saving the bobcat skulls, I need to see about making or buying a dispatch pole.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We were trapping beaver on the local river one spring. We had been doing OK and my buddy had borrowed a Ruger single six for the shooting iron. We were shooting.Remington "THUNDERBOLT" shells out of it. One day we had caught a good sized beaver and my buddy walked up to it, point blanked it right on top of the head and the beav hit the dirt.... DRT !! We thru it in the boat, remade the set and went on down the river. After a bit, my buddy went to screaming and I looked to see what was going on and here sits the beaver in the middle of the boat......alive !! BUDDY was going to shoot it some more right there in the boat and I said NO WAY !! It ain't my boat !! We got it killed again and went on down the line. When we got home and started skinin' the beavs , bullets started dropping on the floor out of every beaver we had. NOT ONE bullet had made it into the brain pan of the beavers. They were all flattened out but would not get thru the skulls of the beavers.
STOCKER !! Did you ever notice you never made a new friend at the walmart store when you had your skunk boots on, HA !! THE LOOKS ALWAYS WERE WORTH THE PRICE OF GETTING ASKED TO LEAVE !! ha !

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Georgia trapping laws require you to carry a catch pole and a .22 anytime you are running traps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
644 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.