Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone know if a guy can tool up to engrave a barrel like this reasonably? I Hope the pic isn't too hard to see. I was having some trouble with the reflection.

[Linked Image]

Steve

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That almost looks like it was laser etched.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks to me like a Hermes project.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks to me like a Hermes project.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The lettering was pantograph engraved using a New Hermes machine or possibly other brand. The manually operated are available on the secondary market at fairly reasonable prices now that everyone has gone to CNC (computer) operated models. Most jewelers have pantograph engraving machines as do trophy shops. When I was in gunsmithing school we had an agreement with a local jeweler to engrave our guns for $15.00. Some guys that are home shop machinists have engraving machines for marking their projects and might be willing to help for a little beer money. Look around, it shouldn't be hard to find someone to help without going to the expense of purchasing a machine.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks.

I have a few to do, so I don't mind getting one, if it's not too ridiculously priced.

Anyone know what pantograph models are appropriate?

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a New Hermes GTX-U. I charge about $35 for one line of engraving and $10 for a second line under the first. That assumes that the customer brings in and picks up the gun in the same day so that I don't have to log it in and out.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at this https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread..._600_pile_of_tools_pics_as_r#Post6263646 it is what I picked up after searching for a long time. It will show you what the tx/gtx looks like so you can get an idea on fixtures. I ended up with WAY more stuff than I needed, but I lucked out at $500. If you see one even w/o fonts for that price....I would jump on it. EBay seems to hang in the upper 5s and up.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are just doing a logo or all the same mark, electro chemical etching can be done quite cheaply...I can share a simple method, but its impractical if you are doing different marks....unless you have a photo development setup or impact printer.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look like someone used electro-chemical etching on the barrel. They cost around 600 up

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by high_country_
Look at this https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread..._600_pile_of_tools_pics_as_r#Post6263646 it is what I picked up after searching for a long time. It will show you what the tx/gtx looks like so you can get an idea on fixtures. I ended up with WAY more stuff than I needed, but I lucked out at $500. If you see one even w/o fonts for that price....I would jump on it. EBay seems to hang in the upper 5s and up.

You did get a lot of stuff.

I got one of those Martec electrochemical etching things but with barrels, it's not turning out quite like I want. It's a bit difficult to get it smooth enough. They have the photosensitive paper and all you are supposed to be able to run through the printer and fix with a lamp and all. Maybe I just need to practice more with it. But, I'm not happy with how it's turning out so far.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you mean smooth?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Figured it would be easier to show you. Besides the fact that I have the calligraphy skills of man with stick, it's just hard to get the lines at a consistent depth and to keep them from looking like it was cut with something besides a blow torch.

[Linked Image]

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have little experience with the electro etchers. I did build my own, but stencils held me back. How are you making your stencils? I found a lot of good info on knife makers forums on stencil making if you have the stuff to develop them already.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I made the stencil with this wax coated paper and a pointed stylus. Stencils are the problem. It has to come off with clean lines, or else you get what's in that pic with the jagged lines.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you seen the stencils made on thermal paper printed with an impact printer?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Can't say that I have.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try doing some searching for electochemical etching stencils. Many knife maker forums have good info. I bet you would be happy with your setup if the stencils were better.

For s&g, grab a battery charger and a qtip and dissolve as much sea salt in an ounce of warm water as it will take. Ground the positive and grab the qtip with the neg. Wet the qtip enough that the ground clamp can grip the wet qtip.....proceed as you would with your current setup......pretty interesting huh.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting

Thanks

Steve

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

Here's an update with some stencils I made from the . A bit better, but maybe a bit too bold?

[Linked Image]

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (22kHornet, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.