Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Having a decision problem this week. Choosing a rifle to work towards.

While they may not be "Long Range" to some, they should be 800 yard rifles.

Being left handed, most of my rifles have been rebarrled and modified. There just isn't too much out there in LH.

I bought my son a Model 7 in .260 Remington for Xmas. I wanted a .260 as well. Not sure we would actually be able to run all the same ammo, but it's a thought. I just grabbed some Berger 140VLDs this week in anticipation.

The rifle I thought I needed is a Savage 10 Predator. I know, it's a Savage. But it has many of the attributes I was hoping for.....comes with a med/heavy 24" barrel that is fluted. And it's twisted 1-8". Perfect. The newer Accustock and Accutrigger. The Max-1 dip pattern I could take or leave. And of course it's LH available. Not very cheap for a Savage and will cost me over $700 by the time I get it in and paid for.

Looking through the wholesale catalog, I noticed that Remington makes or made, a left handed 700 LTR in 308. I have shot one of these rifles before and was impressed with the accuracy and consistancy.

The reviews on the Net are quite impressive. All seem to be very accurate. And accuracy is the key. I have studied many BCs, charts, wind deflection, etc. I know the 140 VLD trumps many other calibers. So part of me is thinking "What good are the numbers when the best the rifle can do is 1.5MOA"?

Even wholesale the Remington is $200 more and there is really nothing "special" about it. I think it's a HS Precision stock, which is very hard to find in LH....at least not a Varmint take-off.

The intent of the rifle it to really get better at ranges from 400-700 or so. As it's my opinion it isn't too tough to get any rifle to bang steel with a dot or stadia at 400. Beyond that many things don't line up quite as simple as the "books" say.

I have many other rifles in larger calibers. Really wanted to try a .260 Remington. And I know Savages, in general, are accurate. But I do not think they will run with the LTRs from the reviews I have read.

THougths?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Isn't Savage making a 6.5x284 in a LH target configuration? That might be a hoot.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buds had the Savage 6.5 X 284 SS LH LRH Accu Stock and trigger for under $700. Hard to find when you do a search under Buds.

I thought about it but I have a LH MRC SS in 6.5
X 284. Unsure what I think about the caliber yet had a lot of tight chamber brass issues.

If I had to do it over again would have bought the Savage to begin with, like the idea of the std. 6.5 X 284 Norma chamber rather than a 6.5 X 284 based off the Win case.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I didn't see the 6.5X284 in a Target model, but it is also available in the above mentioned model, the Predator. It's built on a long action, but same specs, 24" tube with an 8 twist.

Everyone says how the 6.5X284 eats barrels, yet many others think the 264 Win is now OK with modern barrel steels. I don't get it.

Was originally set on the 260 Rem, but hard not to think of just a touch more HP, even though it probably isn't needed.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You might wanna look at the specific Savage models in both 260 and 6.5x284. The Predator you mentioned, which I am also considering in 260 or 6.5x284, comes with the 24" barrel. The other lefty models in 260 or 6.5x284 come with 22" barrels. That is one reason I'm looking real hard at the Predator. If you're wanting long range with those calibers, then I would want the 24" tube. If all I wanted was to hunt the woods around here, then the 22" would work, but I just think you're handicapping the cartridge, whichever you choose, with a 22" barrel if you want long range.

Also, I've read that the 6.5's perform optimally ref accuracy at around 2950-3000 fps. If that is true, and I don't have one so I'm going strictly on what I've read, the additional hp of the 6.5x284 wouldn't be necessary.

This is an interesting read:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=1

Last edited by DELGUE; 03/06/12.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Buds Guns LH LRH 6.5 X 284 yes it shows 22" would want 24" minimum!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+116FLefthandSS+6.5X284NOR+Lefthand+ACS/

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/06/12.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
JJ, I was very pleased with my LH Savage Custom Shop 7 WSM. They installed a custom twist 1:9 magnum contour tube for me in 9 weeks. The accustock and trigger are wonderful, and the rifle is very high quality I believe. Have been in school and have not worked it out yet, but it has put 180 Berger VLDs in a half inch at 3000 fps. Too soon to tell what the overall accuracy will be. I am running the Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 also and like it. About as little as one can spend and get a quality start in the distance game. Rifle was $1100.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a custom built Shaw rifle? Not sure what they run, but youcouldlook into it.
I am very pleased with my Savage rifles. The only thing I hate is how long the action is and having to be careful what scope or bases I buy so it fits. Other than that, I love my Savage.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My small FFL guy has had 2 customers order custom Savages. I have heard that both were satisfied with them. Turn around was 3-4 months and both came out to be about $900.

The Predator would do everything I want it to, but I am just worried about the gamble of accuracy. But I guess so is everyone else who invests in a new rifle.

I think I would be more prone to use the Savage like it should be used-shoot the pizz out of it.

I have 1-2 LH Remington short actions in LH, but I didn't want to deal with waiting for a barrel, then waiting on McMillan for a stock, then having it sit in the corner waiting for the smith to get to the project. By they time that gets around, I will have mentally moved on to a custom 264 or 7 mag with the LH mag bolt face action I have lying around.

I should probably just pull the trigger-literally-on the Savage Predator in 260 as I planned. I can have my own LTR built on one of the other actions. Just hard to pass up such a nice, prebuilt Remington 700 package.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Savage told me 10 weeks and delivered in 9.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm a lefty but when it comes to long range guns i really don't mind shooting a right handed bolt. i usaully have all the time i need for a good shot anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
i have a custom 25-06 Lh form the savage custom shop accutrigger accustock ss
in love with the gun, shoots lights out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Savage Predator in 260 or 6.5/284 would probably do everything you would want in a gun especially with Savage's reputation for accuracy. I'm getting one of those 11 International Trophy Hunter XP 260 Rem in LH, supposed to be in by May sometime.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I shoot left handed, I have shot and hunted for more than 45 years and never shot a left handed rifle. I shoot single shots and right hand bolts. I have decided it is time for a left hand rifle as well. I am really leaning toward the Tikka in 300 WSM. I would love a custom, but just cannot justify the expense. I have not been able to personally talk to anyone who shoots the Tikka, but I read on here and hear from others it is a fine rifle. Any experience out there would be appreciated.

It’s all about Leadership.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a good friend that bought one. Liked it so much he bought a duplicate but in 25-06. They work, they shoot, but there's enough plastic in them to annoy the traditionalists. I was looking seriously at one last year until I tripped over a sweet deal on a LH Weatherby.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just sold my Tikka T3 in 270WSm yesterday. Just not for me. Now the "Sock Drawer" is fully funded. Still thinking the Savage Predator in 260. Possibly both that, AND the Remmy 700 LTR in lefty. Also a new barrel or two for customs.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at any of the long range "production class" matches, it's rare or ever that you see anything other than a Savage winning,

I'm not a Remmie hater or a Savage fanatic, I own and shoot Remington, Winchester, CZ, Ruger, Savage, Montana Rifle Co. and soon Zastava, bolt rifles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Buy a Savage. Best gun for the money.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Given that this zombie thread is four years old, he has probably worn out a couple of barrels.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Too funny.....I did buy the Savage Predator in 260 Remington. Toted it a few days this season.

With Lapua brass and Lapua 139 Scenars.....it's very very accurate. Like dial 620 with a few environmental factors plugged into an app and deer should be incredibly scared.

But it's still a "Savage". It goes to shoot steel much more often than game.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,437
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.