Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safariman,
Are you saying that an out of state varmint hunter can shoot hogs WITHOUT a lic. in Oregon? Thanks.

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are hunting on private ground with the landowners request to do so, and you are shooting rodents, this is correct no license required.

MARK

Last edited by safariman; 03/26/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, that's a $352 savings. I'll write to whatever Oregon calls their fish and game for starters I guess. Thanks

Have Dog

Will Travel

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, this Idaho ground squirrel thing is getting more complicated. Here in so. west Idaho they say there are four different species. Two are supposedly endangered and two aren't. The four all overlap and it's really hard to tell them apart. In any one area you could be shooting more than one subspecies. So they say it's best to hold off shooting any until they come up with something more positive. They met all day yesterday on this subject and one day next week there's supposed to be a coffee/meeting with rep. Bilboa and the director of F & G to discuss this with the public. Don't know which day yet. I don't know what's happening with the rest of the state.

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If you'd like you can check out our club forum at idahovarminthunters.com/forum and look under the heading,Future I V H Events. The pres. and sec., Loren and Gary, are doing a good job of keeping us informed on there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks and good luck to you guys. ESA will screw up a lot of things.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
They would be endangered if I showed up.... wink

Can they die by laughing to death?? smile smile Didn't know they had such a sense of humor

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Theres a fine line between satire and cruelty....

And smoking a turd in hell, and not smoking a turd in hell.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Apparently now the Idaho F & G has decided that they misclassified some species. Now they're trying to decide which species is which and where they can be shot.

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess they're going to let us shoot ground squirrels for now and have our "whistle pig" tournament. We haven't recieved the official ok, they are sending a letter to our club with the go ahead. But they are saying that shooting them might be restricted in the near future.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been to Idaho shooting groundsquirrels, and it's hard to picture any of them as an "endangered" species.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The lumpers and splitter are at it again.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
went on a field trip last year over to New Meadows for a restoration ecology class at the U of I. the snaggletooth bioligist there seemed proud of herself for catching a ground squirell poacher. story is she seen a guy shoot a squirell, got his license plate, and later collected the dead critter. Guess the guy was fined around $1000.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You pay that to shoot varmints? I guess the $225 I pay to shoot deer 7 days a week for 5 months in SC is a bargain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't put a price on good carnage......... grin

The "price" for not being legal is much higher.

Have Dog

Will Travel

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know if anybody on this forum was planning on hunting in the Idaho Varminter Hunters whistle pig tournament but, it has been canceled due to the indecisiveness of the Idaho F & G. They were supposed to give us a definate decision in writing but we have never received the letter they promised. They say it's ok to shoot them south of I-84. But they're being so indecise and not giving any "official" word. The fine for shooting an endagered species of squirrel is $1000 and confiscation of your gun. We don't want to take a chance on anyone getting in trouble so the tournament has been cancelled.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BRoper: Thats a shame, the tournament being cancelled.
I hope this gets straightened out and soon.
I got in a 2 1/2 hour Hunt today and ran off 360 rounds of rimfire ammo in 38 degree temps with blazing sunshine on 5 inches of snow. The plentiful Ground Squirrels stood out like big black thumbs on the snow.
I do know this the ranchers where I Hunt are CERTAIN the Ground Squirrels are not "endangered".
This Idaho conundrum sounds politically motivated to me.
And thats a shame also.
Sounds like the Director of the Idaho Fish & Game Department is a real wishy washy squishy turd to me.
Best of luck to you this season - if there will be one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sounds like you had a bunch of fun. If we don't get someting worked out here in Idaho, other states may pick up on it. The director of F & G here is a non hunter! Can you believe that? Thanks to our governor who appointed him. Anyway, I just read on our club forum that we received the letter yesterday. I haven't seen what's in it yet or how it's going to affect the tournament. We've already informed quite a few that it's cancelled. Probably just have to forget it for this year. What a mess.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tough deal, sorry to hear. Your club needs to figure out a way for the IFG to make a buck off your tourney. THEN they will be interested in moving forward. Sad.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wageslave
Tough deal, sorry to hear. Your club needs to figure out a way for the IFG to make a buck off your tourney. THEN they will be interested in moving forward. Sad.

Man, isn't that the truth.

If the F&G could come up with a plan for the sale of ground squirrel tags and a controlled hunt drawing for the variety that is endangered and suddenly things would be fine with the population.

Getting back to BRopers comment about the F&G director, it seems the guy, (Moore) is heavy on the fisheries stuff, which in my mind means almost nothing when it comes to directing the states hunting and wildlife.

Last edited by Lonny; 04/08/12.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,354
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.