Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
For those of you with experience with converting an enclosed trailer for use while hunting, I'd like to hear your recommendations as far as a heating source. I've been looking at the blue flame type wall mounted heaters, but a friend who works in the propane industry cautions me against them as he's afraid of oxygen depletion. Looks like they'd be convenient and efficient, would a roof vent or cracking a window be sufficient? A carbon monoxide detector would be a no-brainer, but any other thoughts?

Also thought about putting a small wood stove in one corner and piping it out through the wall. Cheap enough but the heat would take slightly longer than with a propane type heater.

I've been looking at some used 6x12 models on craigslist, there was a 7x14 at a farm sale I went to last weekend and I don't really want one that big. Figure the 6x12 with a single axle would be the best compromise in terms of room and ground clearance/mobility.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't want anything with an open flame in there with you ...... if you wish to wake up.

The old trailer/camper heaters that had a convection sytem (no fans) and a heat exchanger (just like home hot ait furnaces) were great, safe and, needing no electric, didn't need batteries.

They also last forever. I'd be prowling around trailer/camper junkyards looking for one of them.

I had a 10.5' truck camper and an 18' travel trailer that both had them (back when).
Kept us warm and comfy through many an upstate NY hunting and icefishing seasons.

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/3_658_0.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200362081_200362081

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/eskabe/eskabe_space_heater_main.asp

Stay warm !

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Catalytic heaters are what 10 zillion RV owners use...There safe and do not have to be plumbed.

I have been using these in my RV's for years,even my pickup camper.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never seen a factory installed Catalytic heater in any RV or enclosed truck camper.
(pop ups leak so much you're probably safe).

Contemporary ones all use heat exchanger, fan driven furnaces that need electricity to work.

Catalytic heaters use O2 to function. Would you turn on a propane stove when you went to bed ? Same thing.

"If used in an unventilated space, any propane heater will consume oxygen until there is inadequate oxygen for human breathing. The oxygen sensor in the ET or ODS models senses a low oxygen level and turns off the heater if the level gets too low for safety.

Although an oxygen sensor makes the heater safer, it restricts the heater to use at altitudes below about 5000 to 7000 feet, depending on brand. For many RVers, this is a really major disadvantage, since some of the nicest camping locations are at higher altitudes, and the heater's primary use may be for the cool nights found year-round at high elevation.

Because these heaters use oxygen and emit water vapor and carbon dioxide (not carbon monoxide!), any space in which the heater is used must be ventilated (a window opened slightly), both to add new oxygen and to get rid of the excess moisture. Olympian recommends one square inch of free air opening per 1000 BTU/hr of heat output for "rooms of average airtightness". (This means that for the Wave 6 heater, an RV window 2 feet wide would would be cracked open 1/4 inch.) I have found that our travel trailer is leaky enough to provide sufficient oxygen for two people to breathe while the heater is in use without opening windows. A friend with a large high-end fifth wheel trailer has also found this to be true. We ventilate anyway, largely to keep the moisture level reasonable. But it's comforting to know that if we forgot to open a window before going to bed, it wouldn't kill us.

This comment should be understood in the context of our own tolerance for reduced oxygen levels. We have camped at altitudes of 10,000 feet and hiked as high as 14,000 feet without problem. Individuals with impaired heart/lung function, or those who suffer from altitude sickness at much lower elevations, will want to be much more careful about ventilation."

Carbon dioxide will also kill you just as dead.

Your money, your life.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I never seen a factory installed Catalytic heater in any RV or enclosed truck camper.

I have never seen an RV dealer that would not install or plumb a Catalytic heater.There are more Catalytic heaters in use by RV'ers than any other heater..The furnace burns the batteries dead in one night.This gives radiant heat off the catalytic pad.

Every boon docker either has to run his gen set all night or use a Catalytic type heater that does not require electricity.

Jayco

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CFVA

I just ran out and took a picture of my Catalytic heater in my RV..Call any RV dealer and ask them about Catalytic heaters if you have any concerns..I know there used by thousands of RV'ers daily and I have personally used them for many/many years without a hitch and "With" carbon Monoxide and Dioxide detectors never setting either off..

[Linked Image]

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
All of the factory installations I've seen were forced air type systems.
In really cold temperatures it is possible to run down the battery overnight. However, a large battery, kept charged by a generator run at least four hours a day, will rarely run down. BTDT.
My advice is to buy a well insulated RV with a proper heating system and proper alarm systems built in. If it doesn't come with a generator, then carry a separate one. E

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks to everyone for the information, and picture logcutter.

Eremicus - I have a 5th wheel parked in my yard as we speak, just have no desire to drag it across the country or thru a snowstorm/off road proposition. I like the idea of a little enclosed utility trailer, considering the mobility plus ability to throw an atv in there should I take the notion. I don't need a full camper when I'm hunting, just somewhere to sleep and get warm.

No takers on the small wood stove notion?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No takers on the small wood stove notion?

Definitely in what you described..I have friends who took out dinette seats in a camper and put in a small wood heater,one even had it installed by an RV guy but most did it themselves using a good barrier from the walls...

Pull the pipe and slap a plug in the top or side stove pipe outing(of trailer) and take off.

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually something that small you could heat with a Coleman lantern. Get it warmed up, turn it off, vent it out (Insulated walls, floor & ceiling retain heat), get in your bag and you'll be fine until morning.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by logcutter
Catalytic heaters are what 10 zillion RV owners use...There safe and do not have to be plumbed.

I have been using these in my RV's for years,even my pickup camper.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

I use one the one pictured above in a small Trailer for years with no problem. Currently use a "Mr. Buddy" with no problems. Screw in small green bottles they last about 6 hrs on low. DON"T try to use a hose with a larger bottle with the Mr. Buddy these can leak and cause a fire.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have two Big Buddies and both set off my Carbon Monoxide alarm installed in the RV.So I went back to the Catalytic which is more expensive but uses less propane...

My son uses one of the Big Buddies when it is cold in his older RV but keeps the windows open around it...It does keep the chill off.

I spent so many years living in an RV in super cold weather to know when you can do it and when you can't.When it gets to 15 degree's,things start to freeze up,like the water lines..Not enough to break but they do freeze with heat on in the camper.

If it is going to be 15 degree's or lower,I winterize my RV and use a Porta Potti and water jugs never to worry about freezing and breaking stuff.Better than chasing water lines with a hair dryer...

I lived in a 35 ft Jayco for 5 years in North and Central Idaho..You learn alot about them in time.What works and what does not..

Jayco

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by LostHighway
I use one the one pictured above in a small Trailer for years with no problem. Currently use a "Mr. Buddy" with no problems. Screw in small green bottles they last about 6 hrs on low. DON"T try to use a hose with a larger bottle with the Mr. Buddy these can leak and cause a fire.

Do you like the Mr. Buddy deal? I've been thinking of a little small wood stove for evening/sleeping heat with one of the Buddy heaters for knocking the chill off in the morning. Just reach out of the sleeping bag and hit the switch, then when you leave you don't have to worry about embers left in a stove.

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is a tough nut to safely crack with open flame heat sources. A ceiling vent sounds good, but some gases are heavier than air and settle rather than rise. The other issue is combustion typically generates water as well as carbon dioxide or monoxide. The monoxide form has a nine times greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen. That being, it's more rapidly absorbed and much harder to get rid of. Mean while it's taking up space normally reserved for oxygen in ones system. If one comes down with a headache, get the hell out of there now.

A buddy has done a similar conversion on the cheap with an enclosed cargo trailer, and does the heat just before bed and at rise and shine time. Still between the heater, and his breathing, the interior is a damp/humid place, and it's difficult to dry things out. A fan might help, but again he is going on the cheap.

In the two instances I've shared camp with this person, I sleep comfortably and safely in my two man tent and I have no plans to change.

To be able to sleep and function without worry, one should secure some sort of a vented system if combustion is involved. We are after all out there to have fun. Relaxing and simultaneously worrying about one's atmosphere, do not go hand in hand. There's also the issue of leaving someone in camp that's not schooled up on the intricacies of survival in a death trap. I for one do not want to count on detectors or batteries to keep me alive. Life is short enough, and I have a sh-tload of stuff left to do.

Try to be safe, not just get by. Those that have failed in this endeavor, do not often log in.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/27/12.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Catalytics are great but they do have a couple drawbacks. They do need air, just like any other heat source other than electric. Propane can't burn without it.
Also, they put a LOT of moisture in the air. I have one in my old 20' hunting trailer and after a few days of running steadily in real cold weather, we'll have water running down the walls. It does keep the trailer nice and warm, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CFVA
Originally Posted by LostHighway

Do you like the Mr. Buddy deal? I've been thinking of a little small wood stove for evening/sleeping heat with one of the Buddy heaters for knocking the chill off in the morning. Just reach out of the sleeping bag and hit the switch, then when you leave you don't have to worry about embers left in a stove.

Thanks.
I have a Buddy that I use in a tent occasionally. I use a bulk tank but you have to be sure the valve is good and tight. Mine is an older one where the hose fitting is up inside an enclosure and darn hard to get at. I cut off part of the enclosure so I can get at the valve with pliers.
It works very well in a tent.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
PM Spotshooter on this forum. He bought a std camper heater, I believe for his converted trailer. A lot safer if you have an outside vent. You can hook up a thermostat and fan and have battery in a box. I think he bought the heater from a camper /trailer supply store.

I think a wood stove is going to be too hot for you.

I use a Blue Flame heater, but it is either in a tent or a 20 ft stock trailer with lotsa vent/fresh air.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on a Mr Heater Buddy or Big Buddy. Yes they do produce a fair amount of moisture but they ARE rated for indoor use. The Big Buddy also has an onboard fan utilized with D batteries or a 6vdc adapter and both of these have "tip over" shut offs. I used a Buddy heater for several years in a 15' travel trailer and also in a pop up and the smaller one was more than adequate.

I agree with Saddlesore, a wood stove will be too much.

Last edited by Huntinut; 03/27/12.

Huntinut

"If it's the truth it ain't braggin" Will Rogers
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A 6X12 anything is going to throw in moisture/ventilation issues etc.That is a very small area....Although,some of the old sheepherders had no problems with a small wood heater/stove in there wagons.

I spent one winter in one just exactly like this one.Sure keep ya' toasty down towards zero.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it isn't getting below 15-20 degrees then I'd just use a 3 burner sunflower head on a 20lb propane tank for taking the chill off in the morning and evening. One tank will last a long time in this scenario and the 3 burner head will almost instantly heat up a trailer that size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
223 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 32 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.