OP Offline
Campfire Member
http://www.uticaod.com/news/x760602...hot-threatens-to-leave-if-gun-law-passes

"Remington fires warning shot, threatens to leave if law passes

By ELIZABETH COOPER
Observer-Dispatch
Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 08:07 PM
Last update Mar 26, 2012 @ 08:18 PM

ILION � Top Remington Arms officials are threatening to pull out of New York if the state Legislature passes a bill mandating that guns carry tiny identifying stamps.

�Mandating firearms microstamping will restrict the ability of Remington to expand business in the Empire State,� wrote Stephen Jackson, Remington chief strategy and acquisition integration officer, to top state officials. �Worse yet, Remington could be forced to reconsider its commitment to the New York market altogether.�

Such a move could decimate Ilion, where Remington�s flagship plant employs more than 1,000 people.

�It would be just short of devastating for our entire area,� Ilion Mayor John Stephens said. �Anything that will affect the operations of Remington in a negative way is not good. It�s extremely important to Ilion.�

A year ago, Remington Arms announced it would hire about 150 new employees in order to fold operations previously performed at other plants owned by its parent company Freedom Group.

In September 2010, the company won a $28.2 million contract to upgrade 3,600 sniper rifles, and the previous May the company announced a $6 million expansion project.

State officials representing Ilion said they don�t think the legislation, which is part of the state Assembly�s version of the 2012-13 budget, will make it into the final version, but it�s important to be vigilant.

Microstamping is a process by which firing pins are engraved with a gun�s make, model and serial number so any bullet fired is imprinted with that information.

A spokesman for Gov. Andrew Cuomo confirmed that he supported microstamping in his campaign for governor but that it is not part of his proposed budget.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has pushed for microstamping legislation as a way to solve gun-related crimes.

�The mayor is going to continue to advocate with conviction for laws that keep guns out of the hands of criminals,� a statement from his office said.

A Remington spokesman reinforced the company's position Monday.

�Legislation that would mandate the flawed concept of firearms microstamping is of great concern to Remington � as it should be to all New York taxpayers who would be forced to cover the costs associated with it, including buying and maintaining scanning electron microscopes and patented software,� Teddy Novin, director of public affairs and relations for the Freedom Group.

�Remington would be forced to incur substantial costs should this legislation ever become law. This would not only include purchasing very expensive equipment and patented technologies, but also the costs of redesigning our time-tested and efficient manufacturing processes, plant and equipment. All for a concept that, according to every independent study to examine it, does not work.�

This isn�t the first time a microstamping bill has been debated in the state Legislature.

With Republican control of the state Senate, it�s not likely to gain traction this year, said state Sen. James Seward, R-Milford. In 2010, however, when the Senate was Democrat controlled, it came �dangerously close,� he said.

�There is just not support for bringing this up in the Republican conference,� he said. �Remington Arms has been making major investments in the Ilion facility and consolidating jobs there, but why do that in a state that�s hostile to law abiding gun owners?�

Assemblyman Marc Butler, R-Newport, said he had fought against the legislation, but it now is in the Democrat-controlled Assembly�s proposed state budget and also is a standalone piece of legislation.

�There is no overstating how important Remington Arms is to us and our economy and our future,� Butler said."

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MORE liberal STUPIDITY that will force the LOSS of jobs.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMHO maybe they should leave anyway - many better environments and some nice incentives.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm surprised they are still in Ilion. Labor is cheaper in the South.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Any of the southern states would be a better place for them.

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bring it donw to Texas, we'll take them. These libturds sure don't know there stuff. If someone wanted to remove the micro stamp all they would have to do is replace the firing pin, which is cheap and simple to do. Stupid monkeys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or a swipe or two with a fine file.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Mr_Saw

Microstamping is a process by which firing pins are engraved with a gun�s make, model and serial number so any bullet fired is imprinted with that information.

Huh? I think I have my dies set up wrong. How does one get the firing pin to contact the bullet?

Mr_Saw Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Originally Posted by Mr_Saw

Microstamping is a process by which firing pins are engraved with a gun’s make, model and serial number so any bullet fired is imprinted with that information.

Huh? I think I have my dies set up wrong. How does one get the firing pin to contact the bullet?

Veeery carefully.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
How does one get the firing pin to contact the bullet?
Pull the trigger!!!! whistle

For every law that's passed, a little freedom dies!!!!!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington can move to Montana. We have a heck of a gun manufacturing business here.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Remington already moved their corporate headquarters to North Carolina years ago. As for the firing pin, who is going to make all the aftermarket firing pins illegal? Stupid liberals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're smart enough to carry a Remington, you're smart enough to police your brass! grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sawbuck
If you're smart enough to carry a Remington, you're smart enough to police your brass! grin

I know that was in jest (and well taken) but we can already identify any firing pin indentation.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
riiiiight. then when i run the brass through my press and it punches out the primer with the stamped info?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
All of these blue state gun manufacturers should move West or South. Colt just announced they're starting some production here in Florida. Hopefully they'll end up moving completely here.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More BS from the left. They not only need to leave NY they need to cut their nut sack and say no more sales of guns to NY police and no more warranty work for NY.

NRA Lifetime Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In September 2010, the company won a $28.2 million contract to upgrade 3,600 sniper rifles, and the previous May the company announced a $6 million expansion project.

Anyone know just what exactly the $7,800.00 per unit "upgrades" are? And......do the bolt handles still fall off of the upgraded rifles?? grin

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
riiiiight. then when i run the brass through my press and it punches out the primer with the stamped info?

Duh...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Gadfly

Anyone know just what exactly the $7,800.00 per unit "upgrades" are? And......do the bolt handles still fall off of the upgraded rifles?? grin

Another prime example of how we can cut military spending and still treat our troops well and get the job done just as well. Spend any time in the military and you will see blatant financial waste. This is why we need to not let our eyes get glossed over with the stars and stripes, and think objectively of what our desired outcomes should be and how to attain them efficiently when military funding is concerned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.