Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Posted about this earlier some time ago and this is an update to that post:

Got the turned wood back from Al Lind today. Next stop is back to my gunsmith where he can double check it so he can start turning the barrel to fit and fit the buttstock to the receiver. Anyway, a few more pictures of the turned wood wet. PS. Had Al inlet the forend with and ebony insert the same as the original low walls. He supplied the blank to match the wood on my buttstock blank. Turned out well IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
WOW, looking forward to more picts.
Thanks CTW

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
vaturkey,

Is your gunsmith by any chance in Brice VA? I was in a shop there last week talking about a custom project I have in mind and the smith mentioned a Browning single shot project he has under way and he also recommended Al Lind for the wood work on mine.

Coincidences?

in any event I would like a PM from you, if you are willing, about Lind's prices. turnaround time, and how well you two comunicated on the stock specs.

Thanks.
1B

Last edited by 1B; 03/29/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
might do in a pinch....

Just kiddin'. That wood is about as spectacular as all get out.

I am commencing my second low wall build.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 1B
vaturkey,

Is your gunsmith by any chance in Brice VA? I was in a shop there last week talking about a custom project I have in mind and the smith mentioned a Browning single shot project he has under way and he also recommended Al Lind for the wood work on mine.

Coincidences?

in any event I would like a PM from you, if you are willing, about Lind's prices. turnaround time, and how well you two comunicated on the stock specs.

Thanks.
1B

Your close. John Myers is located in Boyce Va. John also uses Al now. We used to use a fellow located in Pa for wood turning, but he recently passed from cancer and Al has picked up the slack. The inletting he did on the fore-arm for the ebony insert was outstanding IMO. It helps that John glass bedded the original wood to receiver/barrel and Al was able to duplicate to .04 thousands. That greatly cuts down the inletting time for John.

PS. Send me a PM on whatever you need to know and I'll provide details etc. Al's turn around time was less then two weeks after receipt. Pretty amazing.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Oh my! That is VERY nice...

But, you can't just leave us hanging here. Give us some details, man!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

Johnny $

257 Roberts. Lilja barrel, starting our octagonal to wedding ring to round. .660 end barrel diameter. Custom Quarter Rib and Talley rings, leather covered pad. Probably 2-7 Leupold scope. Probably just the blued action because I've got zero dollars for engraving. PS. Action is a Miroku made low wall as the original low wall's couldn't have taken the .257 Roberts. Think it will be something unusual and special. I like the way the wood turned out and that's really the first thing folks will notice when they see the gun.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by vaturkey

Johnny $

257 Roberts. Lilja barrel, starting our octagonal to wedding ring to round. .660 end barrel diameter. Custom Quarter Rib and Talley rings, leather covered pad. Probably 2-7 Leupold scope. Probably just the blued action because I've got zero dollars for engraving. PS. Action is a Miroku made low wall as the original low wall's couldn't have taken the .257 Roberts. Think it will be something unusual and special. I like the way the wood turned out and that's really the first thing folks will notice when they see the gun.

Vaturkey,
My favoritest caliber in one of my favoritest rifle smile

I do have a question about the trigger. I have a Miroku Low Wall in .357 and dearly love the little thing - but without meaning to be indelicate - the trigger is crappy. I know that there are several "fixes" on the internet but I have seen and heard some horror stories about things that have happened when said fix was applied. I know that at one time there was a couple of fellows making steel trigger to replace the stock one but after some BATF ruling they were forced to stop. What are you going to use?

Thanks for posting and PLEASE keep the pictures and updates coming!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know that at one time there was a couple of fellows making steel trigger to replace the stock one but after some BATF ruling they were forced to stop.
NOT TRUE.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
OK, BT which part of my post am I lying about?

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Johnny Dollar-

You might look up Lee Shaver in Lamar, MO. He is supposed to be one of 'the' experts on 1885's. I'm at work and it blocks my searches for gun stuff, but he has a website. I did some searching a while back and found many forums where guys were having trigger work done by him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, BT which part of my post am I lying about?

Johnny $
Don't recall accusing anyone of lying, but I am calling BULLSHIT on your little story. Triggers aren't controlled items by the BATFE. Never have been and likely never will be. The BATFE isn't going to "force anyone to stop" making triggers. Anyone telling a story like that doesn't know what in the hell they're talking about. Period. That's a bonehead gunshop story, like the one I heard a few years ago about the BATFE made Remington put the J-Lock on rifles. Don't post BULLSHIT. If you don't know, just state as much. Better yet, don't post.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Johnny Dollar-

You might look up Lee Shaver in Lamar, MO. He is supposed to be one of 'the' experts on 1885's. I'm at work and it blocks my searches for gun stuff, but he has a website. I did some searching a while back and found many forums where guys were having trigger work done by him.
Lee is the main one with whom I'm familiar and would have customers send in the trigger group from their Browning vice shipping the entire rifle. As far as I know, he's never maintained a website.

Old Browning Trigger Thread

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Guess I'm lucky. This particular trigger isn't awful. No creep and probably 3 lbs according to the smith doing the work. If I have it worked on it will certainly be done by Lee Shaver.

Last edited by vaturkey; 03/29/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Bricktop,
I don't know the colloquial linguistics of whatever [bleep] planet you're from but here on Earth calling "Bullschit" on someone's statement is tantamount to calling someone a liar.

This much I know is true; a friend of mine was a gunsmith, until his retirement. He manufactured some speciality items one of which was a steel trigger assembly for Low Walls. He stopped because of his concern about the BATF. That is what he told me and I belived him.

I also know this much; this was a civil conversation about an enjoyable hobby and not a discourse on federal law - until you decided to wade in with absolutley nothing of value or interest.
I don't know you and I feel privileged in that regard! But your type is not hard to figure out, distasteful tho that may be.

You can go back to your room in your poor old mother's basement and play with yourself - you cheesedick, little troll. Or, you can get a job like most of the rest of society and try to make something of yourself. I have a business to run and I am going to get to work. Play nice now!

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by vaturkey
Guess I'm lucky. This particular trigger isn't awful. No creep and probably 3 lbs accordingly the smith doing the work. If I have it worked on it will certainly be done by Lee Shaver.

Vaturkey,
Sorry for the ugly little turn that this conversation took.
I am interested in your project and I look forward to its progress.

As I said before, please keep posting pictures - I really want to see how it turns out.

Johnny $

Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Johnny Swallers
This much I know is true; a friend of mine was a gunsmith, until his retirement. He manufactured some speciality items one of which was a steel trigger assembly for Low Walls. He stopped because of his concern about the BATF. That is what he told me and I belived him.
Your "friend" is a moron and so are you for telling that HORSESHIT story. The fact that he is no longer in business is clear indication of that. You can always produce a f*cking BATFE ruling that supports that HORSESHIT story if you disagree.

Originally Posted by Johnny Swallers
I also know this much; this was a civil conversation about an enjoyable hobby and not a discourse on federal law - until you decided to wade in with absolutley nothing of value or interest.
It was civil until you decided to blatantly post HORSESHIT. And you bet, I'm going to call your f*cking ass on it. Ignorant f*cks seldom see value in factual data. You've proved that.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
vaturkey,

You were dead right -- it was John Meyer' shop in Boyce! I was asking him about a Bob custom project idea I have based on a Ruge4 #1 action and some very nice black walnut blanks I recently acquired. (My mind said Boyce, my fingers sent Bryce.)

John showed me some very nice octagonal barrel work he has done. Between the wood you now have and a new barrel like that, you have a real stunner in the making.

I'll PM you.

1B

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bricktop
[quote=Cheesy]Lee is the main one with whom I'm familiar and would have customers send in the trigger group from their Browning vice shipping the entire rifle. As far as I know, he's never maintained a website.

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/StoreFront.bok

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Lee is the main one with whom I'm familiar and would have customers send in the trigger group from their Browning vice shipping the entire rifle. As far as I know, he's never maintained a website.
http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-LeeShaverGuns/StoreFront.bok
Cool. I've got him bookmarked now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.