Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But, alas some of us live elsewhere. grin

I look forward my time out west and up north but here in Md we do have some enjoyable fly fishing and given it's the Mid Atlantic some of it's urban but even there you find some surprising isolation so I thought I'd share some pictures of the Middle Fork of the Patuxent. It's 15 minutes from the house. Come June (especially this year it seems) you can keep a couple and you might as well as even the Brown's won't make it through the summer.

You get out early and it's still a bit chilly.

[Linked Image]

As I said, it's urban. Here's the parking area and walk in down the washed out road.

[Linked Image]

The rules are posted but we still get a fair amount of poaching

[Linked Image]

It's a pretty little stream with nice holes. Insect population isn't great but a few Caddis and some Sulfur mayflies will come off if the temps and light are right.

[Linked Image]

But the trout are there. I help TU put the fish in via a float stock and we put 1500 browns and 1500 rainbows in the mile and half of the catch and release water. They give us about 10% trophy so an 18-20" fish is not out of the possibility

[Linked Image]

I often fish a Elk Hair Caddis with a Pheasant Tail or Copper John dropper and that works well. The fish are more picky about location and size than the actual fly.

[Linked Image]

That's all for now. Wife and I are on vacation next week at our camp in WV so I'll post some Western MD pics when I get back. No, I'd rather live west but the work is good and true here and we'll make the best of it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Montana is great for flyfishing as the trout are not stocked anymore. You don't need a fly that looks like a pellet that they are used to eating in the fish hatcheries...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Montana is great for flyfishing as the trout are not stocked anymore. You don't need a fly that looks like a pellet that they are used to eating in the fish hatcheries...

You'll find no argument from me. I've had some great days on the Madison and on Slough and that's not even touching that great states trouting potential. I'm just a half-full guy and will make the best of what I can.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I used to live in MD and spent many days on the Patux. Also liked To fish the Gunpowder. And of course w MD.

Now I live out West near MT and spend Summer fishing MT ID, WA OR and WY

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice fish pics. I like the spots all the way to the nose. Looking at the fins, that does not look like hatchery stock. An instream fish?

I'm not too unhappy with our Oregon waters either.
The kid with his first fly caught steelie.
[Linked Image]

Same pool
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/12.

1Minute
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I live in a trout desert, so anytime I can be in the water waving a stick, I feel blessed.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Nice fish pics. I like the spots all the way to the nose. Looking at the fins, that does not look like hatchery stock. An instream fish?

Nope - not unless it flew from Western MD. grin My wife bought me a nice Orvis Penns Creek 7 - 1/2 foot 4 weight bamboo for our anniversary and I'm looking forward to getting it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then again some of us want nothing to do with montana![Linked Image][Linked Image]

I tend to use more than enough gun
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yea, Alaska is OK too I guess. wink grin Made a 1/2 dozen trips with my Grandfather to fish the Situk in Yakatat in the 90's. Good times.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pugs,

My fishing partner of many seasons reitred to Montana. He is within an hour's drive of so many class A waters that he has not yet tried them all after about 5 years there. He also gets to complain about the 'damn tourists' on his waters.

1B

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Although it's not Montana, you are only a few hours away from some very nice wild trout fishing in PA. And you must have some decent striper fishing pretty close by too.

I started out fly fishing for snook and tarpon long before I caught my first trout.

I love everything about trout fishing, especially with bamboo rods and dry flies, but when you have one shot to make a 70' cast to three or four tarpon that look like 5ft+ logs swimming toward you, no matter how many times you've done it before, you get a little weak in the knees.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm looking forward to fishing the Madison this year. Of course I live literally 5 min. from it so I plan to be there as often as possible.
Our head gate is in a (locked) private access only and there just happens to be a picture perfect run there as well. I suppose I'll have my TFO and a few flys with me when doing irrigation this summer. Kinda makes the irritation of irrigation worth it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My fly fishing neighbors in both north Idaho and Texas where our place is on the Guadalupe River enjoy the fishing and do pretty well too. I will learn to fly fish when I eventually get around to living at home.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As coincidence would have it, I'm headed to Craig, Montana for three or four days of guided fishing on the Mighty Mo. Leaving in the morning.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a great stretch, I used to fish it a ton. You'll have some good days!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Dats a REALLY great stretch in mid-july when the Trico hatch is on... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the caddis hatches, fishing a Mo R Special is about as good as it gets.

Less of course it's hoppers on the Sun in August.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Trolling is good on some of the local ponds with a 4 wheeler, but there is nothing like small dry's on Montana's Blue Ribbon Streams...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
See my separate post and pix of my trip. It's in the Freshwater forum.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.