Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Blackdogsrule broke out the brank spankin new Winchester model 70 Extreme weather model 70 at the range yesterday. It is chambered in 7 Remington Mag. He has been chirpin about it for months waitin on it. I gotta say I was impressed. Keep in mind I've been a die hard Rem 700 man for 30+ years. Never much cared for the Winchester model 70. So as much as it pains me to post this pic here is the 1st ever 3 shot group out of this rifle. Had I not been sitting right beside him when he did it I would think he was messing with me and chalked it up to a joke between friends with him bustin my balls bout Winchester better than Rem 700 stuff. tired

[Linked Image]

2 shots were fired before this group to get the scope on paper then this group was fired. I guess the stuff we have been hearing about this model from Winchester is true. Looks like they finally got one right. 163bc

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=535110

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, 10 clicks down, 2 to the left and he's set, nice shootin'.

Gunner

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very nice.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 163bc
Blackdogsrule broke out the brank spankin new Winchester model 70 Extreme weather model 70 at the range yesterday. He was chirpin about it for months waitin on it. I gotta say I was impressed. Keep in mind I am a die hard Rem 700 man for 30+ years. Never much cared for the Winchester model 70. So as much as it pains me to post this pic here is the 1st ever 3 shot group out of this rifle. Had I not been sitting right beside him when he did it I would think he was messing with me and chalked it up to a joke between friends with him bustin my balls bout Winchester better than Rem 700 stuff. tired

[Linked Image]

2 shots were fired before this group to get the scope on paper then this group was fired. I guess the stuff we have been hearing about this model from Winchester is true. Look like they finally got one right. 163bc

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=535110

Thanks for posting your findings. It must have taken a lot for you since you are a remington guy. I've been telling these guys that the EW's are shooters. Nice shootin.......great rifle. Hard to beat the good ol 7mm too. Let us know how she shoots the 160 nosler partitions. Thanks...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They have it in the 7mm WSM now. Love the cartridge. Thinking about ordering one. The Rem. mag. would be awesome as well. Nice shoot'n.

Last edited by Rugernut; 03/30/12.
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I knew I should have gotten the 7 mag. Here are my handloads with an Extreme Weather in .300 WSM. The 180's are 2 2shot groups( I was running out of ammo) But I like mine and have never been fond of Model 70's.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

180 SST at 400 yards.
[Linked Image]

Bob.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fishybobtrout
I knew I should have gotten the 7 mag. Here are my handloads with an Extreme Weather in .300 WSM. The 180's are 2 2shot groups( I was running out of ammo) But I like mine and have never been fond of Model 70's.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

180 SST at 400 yards.
[Linked Image]

Bob.

Now lets see some 5 shot groups....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mans gotta like that, in when I take into account it was done via a 139 Horn btsp it's even more impressive. For me, on average the 139 Horn sp is tons mo accurate so I'd be veddy happy!

Plant that baby in a McMillan Hunter Edge handle and rock on.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Plant that baby in a McMillan Hunter Edge handle and rock on. Dober

Not sure i would change much. The stock on it was pretty nice. Handled well and was extremly well balanced. Trigger needed adjustment but hey its a Winchester gotta expet that!!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Not sure i would change much. The stock on it was pretty nice. Handled well and was extremly well balanced. Trigger needed adjustment but hey its a Winchester gotta expet that!!!

+1. If he's happy with it the way it is then "rock on" (hmmm where did I hear that?, I think some of you guys are rubbing off on me)....anyway, I like the mc edge handle like Mark does but if he likes the B&C then that's even better for him (don't have to spend the money). My mcmillan hunters edge made a drastic improvement over the factory stock but I decided I'd change that out before I even had the rifle....Just me though...I don't like the B&C at all.....As far as the trigger is concerned, the pull weight screw has to be backed almost all the way out on the EW or even go one step further and replace the spring with one of ernies springs...Makes a big difference....

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You could always ask you buddy if he likes the stock. Switching to the hunters edge gives a better feel/balance and reduces weight by about a pound, looks much better too..:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
BSA,

It won't hold 5 cartridges, they're too fat. smile

I don't shoot any more than 3 with a hunting weight barrel,(don't have the patience to let it cool down between shots, and my nerves are prob not good enough anyway) and only shoot 3 to get my scope on target and to know what the gun is capable of.( I've come to the conclusion that most guns will shoot better than I'm capable of anyway.) After that I usually only shoot 1 shot at a time at different yardages, bounce back and forth between 100, 400, 300, etc., to make sure when I'm hunting that I can make the first shot count. Just gives me more confidence hunting. I shoot my HB .308 for targets, it's easier on the shoulder, and I'm not a fan of heavy recoil. smile

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted agree with the OP that I think the FN 70's are good shooters. Although with the price of factory .300 WSM's mine probably won't get the chance to do it with store bought ammo.

Bob.

Last edited by fishybobtrout; 03/30/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA,

It won't hold 5 cartridges, they're too fat. smile

I don't shoot any more than 3 with a hunting weight barrel,(don't have the patience to let it cool down between shots, and my nerves are prob not good enough anyway) and only shoot 3 to get my scope on target and to know what the gun is capable of.( I've come to the conclusion that most guns will shoot better than I'm capable of anyway.) After that I usually only shoot 1 shot at a time at different yardages, bounce back and forth between 100, 400, 300, etc., to make sure when I'm hunting that I can make the first shot count. Just gives me more confidence hunting. I shoot my HB .308 for targets, it's easier on the shoulder, and I'm not a fan of heavy recoil. smile

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted agree with the OP that I think the FN 70's are good shooters. Although with the price of factory .300 WSM's mine probably won't get the chance to do it with store bought ammo.

Bob.

Excellent post. I'm in full agreement. Take care bud...However I do tend to shoot up to 10 shots with my FN made 300 wizzum but that's only because it's one of my competition rifles. FN sure does make a great product. Here's how my FN PBR XP 300 wsm shoots 10 shots...:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I saw that posting of yours before and that will be the next load I try in mine. I have the Leupy Boone and Crockett reticle and the 180 at 2900ish matches the reticle so that's what I went with.(the group at 400 was to see how close the elevation matched the reticle) I did kill a buck this year at approx 275 yards with the SST and it did just fine. But I've read your post and others that say the 165 spbt does really well in the WSM, I'll just have to check the trajectory against the B&C drops to see how it will do. Or add an M1 turret and not worry about it.

Bob.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I saw that posting of yours before and that will be the next load I try in mine. I have the Leupy Boone and Crockett reticle and the 180 at 2900ish matches the reticle so that's what I went with.(the group at 400 was to see how close the elevation matched the reticle) I did kill a buck this year at approx 275 yards with the SST and it did just fine. But I've read your post and others that say the 165 spbt does really well in the WSM, I'll just have to check the trajectory against the B&C drops to see how it will do. Or add an M1 turret and not worry about it.

Bob.

I'd stick with the 180 if it works out good in your 300wsm. RDW'S shoots the 180 awesome. Hard to beat the 180 in a 300 mag anyway....I just chose the 165 because I had tons laying around for my 06's...It shot them good so I haven't changed anything blush

Your group at 400 is killer (less than moa). I probably wouldn't change a thing...Nice shooting rifle..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not surprised... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yep Yawn grin

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It also shot some old Rem Safari 160 A Frames well. Going to take my time and see what it likes best in factory ammo. It sure shot the Hornady 139gr. BTSP well. I bought it to hunt deer out west because i am tired of the muzzle brake on my regular gun. So far I couldn't be happier.

I put Talley bases and detachable rings on a Swaro X-6, 30mm 2X12X50 scope that I got off Ebay on a screaming hot deal. even with the expensive glass it still is a better deal than a custom gun.

Very happy so far with the new Winchester.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ehunter
Yep Yawn grin

Same o same o isn't it..... wink

BSA MAGA
163bc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
Going to take my time
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Well I suppose if it is possible for a Winchester to shoot that good I guess you taking your time and being patient is possible too.. grin I'm ready for some ballistic testing !!! Sam

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 51 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.