Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by bufaf
Formadilosus,
What type of reticle/turrets do you prefer...moa/moa, mil/mil, mil/moa, etc, etc??

Mil/Mil. MOA/MOA will work but since the military and LR tactical shooters want Mil everything is made in Mil. When you combine a mil based scope with a spotting scope with a mil reticle it's simply cheating.

I do not want people to get the idea that I/we advocate "sniper" rifles or scopes. I hunt a lot with Leupolds, 1/4 MOA adjustments and plain duplex reticles. What we teach in hunting courses while having similarities to, is not the same thing we teach in military/competition courses. That was one of the big things I picked up going to a bunch of courses over the years. Every LR "Hunting" class I've attended was really just a rebadged sniper course. A lot of the military LR stuff applies, and a lot of it doesn't. I want the hunter that comes to us with a wood stocked M700 in 270win and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS or B&C reticle (or whatever scope they have) to be able to consistently hit big game in the vitals at extended ranges under hunting situations. Even if you never use it, practicing at 5 and 600 yards makes 300-400 yard animals chip shots.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I want the hunter that comes to us with a wood stocked M700 in 270win and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS or B&C reticle (or whatever scope they have) to be able to consistently hit big game in the vitals at extended ranges under hunting situations. Even if you never use it, practicing at 5 and 600 yards makes 300-400 yard animals chip shots.

This is the conclusion I've stumbled upon over the past 9 months. I couldn't agree more.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Formidilosus,

Any hunter class in the west coast this year?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great stuff here--thanks guys!

These are the kind of discussions that make the Campfire great.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bufaf
Formadilosus,
What type of reticle/turrets do you prefer...moa/moa, mil/mil, mil/moa, etc, etc??

Mil/Mil. MOA/MOA will work but since the military and LR tactical shooters want Mil everything is made in Mil. When you combine a mil based scope with a spotting scope with a mil reticle it's simply cheating.

I do not want people to get the idea that I/we advocate "sniper" rifles or scopes. I hunt a lot with Leupolds, 1/4 MOA adjustments and plain duplex reticles. What we teach in hunting courses while having similarities to, is not the same thing we teach in military/competition courses. That was one of the big things I picked up going to a bunch of courses over the years. Every LR "Hunting" class I've attended was really just a rebadged sniper course. A lot of the military LR stuff applies, and a lot of it doesn't. I want the hunter that comes to us with a wood stocked M700 in 270win and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS or B&C reticle (or whatever scope they have) to be able to consistently hit big game in the vitals at extended ranges under hunting situations. Even if you never use it, practicing at 5 and 600 yards makes 300-400 yard animals chip shots.

Common sense...great post.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Great stuff here--thanks guys!

These are the kind of discussions that make the Campfire great.

Yep,
And without all the drama from the S.E. Alaska ghey midget.. smirk laugh

Imagine that...

Last edited by Nrut; 03/30/12.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's to that!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I'm hunting a pipe line cut through the north woods of Canada, I take a Zeiss Rapid Z reticle because a deer may appear for a few seconds at any range from up close to as far as I can shoot. Then he will be across and gone not likely seen again that day.

I have not had experience using turrets because I don't trust myself to remember did I change the zero back or not......

Turrets have to be best for long range accuracy because that's what the long range target competitors use, but for hunting I think it is personal. Each of us should know which we would prefer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I may be different than some, but using a reticle isn't something I feel would work for me in hunting situations. I use a standard duplex reticle in a cartridge that shoots flat and, in conjunction with a rangefinder, I have determined when I need to dial. So far it works really well. I am looking at using a reticle on a varmint rifle, but on my go-to elk and deer gun, no. mtmuley

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jmsdad
Formidilosus,

Any hunter class in the west coast this year?

None on the schedule, however it is very easy to set one up if you are interested?

mtmuley,
that is a very good way to do it, and it is how I do it too. Although I sometimes slum a 308.... grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Form, one of the classes in CO would be cool too!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I want the hunter that comes to us with a wood stocked M700 in 270win and a Leupold 3.5-10x40 with CDS or B&C reticle (or whatever scope they have) to be able to consistently hit big game in the vitals at extended ranges under hunting situations. Even if you never use it, practicing at 5 and 600 yards makes 300-400 yard animals chip shots.

This is the conclusion I've stumbled upon over the past 9 months. I couldn't agree more.

While it's always impossible to trump the humor associated with a Texan doing her best,I'd say you've set the bar rather high...beings it took you 9 [bleep] months to savvy that good practice,nets good results.

Wow.

Nrut,

Imagination and Pretend is all you've got.

Though in fairness,I'm still groovin' on your pics.

Bless your heart.

sskuntyote,

You Do-Nothing Dumbphucks,are a never ending series of belly laughs.

Points awarded for the hearfelt whine,that you've mastered over the years.

Congratulations?

Hardly a "secret" that crosshair intersection(da' middle) can't be trumped,but them who shoot the least,"know" the most. Laffin'!

Today's dots,copiously connected...if only because the dumbest of [bleep],will yet again miss the boat. In no particular order: S/S,Synthetic,LW's,Turrets,1-7" twist rate,BC's(lens covers dumb [bleep](s)),upper echelon BC ala 75'Max(s),kissing the throat,spec'ing the throat,COAL massaged to allow said kiss,taped muzzle...and a leetle wear and tear ala scritches/scratches,due to mileage and round count. Moly being a given.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to yet another "Hard Charging" Tale via the Do-Nothing Gang,regarding the things they nearly did,with the wares they nearly had and from the places they nearly went.

As an aside,I Handload Jigs too and I'll happily remove same and allow you dumbphucks to swim away,only to be hooked again and as per whim.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I don't want this to turn into an advertisement, as that was not my intent, but it is easy to setup a class just about anywhere in the US.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Boxer
[Linked Image]

The stock finish and muzzle tape match neither the fly nor the fish. I think there's a bit more there to be learned about running a hard-use rifle and taking good photos! wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Critique taken...so shot a bit different this morning,than I did yesterday(above).

While I've always been a fan of contrast in a scene,opting an orange hue as the Dupe,is an Age old favorite of mine for Spring Feesh. Pink has no peer for Winter feesh,but Orange can do nice things,even in early Spring.

My State is very arid and the foliage is perpetually a dingy brown-ish hue,which isn't very flattering in any light. Oh well...broad shoulders do sweeten the pot and frost the cake,even in the sweltering 80 degree heat.

[Linked Image]

Fall Plumage do nice things for contrast and set off the GLX subtension matrix fairly well. Am thinking the weathered au naturale cork,do meld nicely and the dynamics of the coloration throughout the scene,rather sing in conjunction.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Keying in on the Orange Theme a touch more,if only for conversation.

[Linked Image]

Always rewarding to see "quit" in a victim's eye(s).

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.(grin)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Boxer,
I see JeffO convinced you to stop using blue tape on your barrel.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
turrets

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Formid, I agree with your choice of the SS 3x9 as a great hunting optic. All of mine have been great on tracking and durability has not been an issue at any time. I also run the 5x20 on a match rifle and that HD glass is fabulous.

One thing I have not really seen mentioned is SPF vs FFP. I dont like being stuck at one magnification for the dots, dashes or christmas trees to line up.

I also tend to use both hold over with the reticle as well as turrets at the same match, even in the same stages. It is not uncommon to engage targets at 200, 400 or out to 800 yards on the same stage and if your taking the time to dial for every shot you will be sitting at the bottom of the pack. For hitting poppers or plates in the 8-10" range I will gladly use the reticle to save time but when the target is under 1moa I take the time to dial it.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
So it's clear, my posting on this thread is ONLY about a fast and relatively simple way to kill big game.

FFP is the only way to fly on Tac match guns. For that I prefer the Horus H59. I still dial most shots fwiw.... Most people are just painfully slow dialing. It's like they are scared to reach up and crank? I don't get it, it's got numbers....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
One thing about BDC reticle scopes is that almost all are SFP. Funny how people think it takes longer to spin one knob versus another........

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.