24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
I just inherited my father's deer rifle. I am just curious if anyone has any info on it. Year of manufacture? Like I said it's a Remington Gamemaster Model 760 Carbine. The number on the left side of the receiver is 430xxx. The left side of the barrel says 29xl33. The right side says R.E.P. then an M and then a symbol that looks like a percent sign? %? Any help would be appreciated.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This link should give you the information you're looking for:
http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/pump-action/model-760-gamemaster.aspx
Make sure you scroll down for serial # block dates of manufacture, etc.

Great little gun, I have one and wouldn't dream of ever parting with it. I might get flamed for this by the bolt action fans, but the 760's can be just as accurate as a quality bolt gun, especially the carbine with the shorter stiffer barrel. With a LOW power variable mounted in LOW rings one of the best woods rifles you'll ever find for whitetails. Just my 2 cents, which my 2 ex wives would say aren't worth the powder to blow to hell, LMAO.

Pic of mine, along with a 7400 semi:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Wink_man; 03/31/12.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is just my opinion but that's a way kool rifle! I'd love to find a mid 70's vintage 760C. I've had two and unfortunately sold them both (like a dummY). Both would shoot 1" or less with no effort.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice pic Wink, the pump rig that you have there is the one I want.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks, 1979 vintage, purchased new, added the sling swivels and a Leupold Vari X III in Redfield low rings in 1980, other than that, unchanged and killing whitetails ever since then without issue. 30-06 Carbine. The carbines are hard to find, seems everyone was enamoured with velocity at that time and wanted the longer barrel. I know when I ordered the gun, not one shop in my area had a carbine in stock, but all had the longer 22 inch barrels in stock.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

OP Offline
Thanks for the info. In looking more closely at this gun it seems that the swivel stud was screwed right into the forearm giving it a nice long crack. Not thrilled about that. Other than that it just needs a good old fashioned cleaning. My dad was never a "take it apart and clean it" kind of guy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My Sis-in-laws husband uses the semi-auto version for hunting back in MN. He also inherited it from his dad.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
saw one on a local hunters forum for sale for $450.00. it sold in less than 60 seconds.

Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money but we never hear about welfare or food stamps running out of money. What's interesting is the first group WORKED for their money but the other group didn't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 55 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.