Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Update on this...

We have gotten our panel to serve as Judges for this contest..
Myself, Pieter and 3 other forum members..

We haven't decided if we are going to make their names known yet... however each is both a distinguished and well established forum member of the campfire.. and anyone whose been around here for a while will know them....

Per Pieter's request, the contest looks like it will involve someone writing a short essay of 300 minimum, 500 maximum word essay of why they desire to go to Africa...

Pieter has also wanted to insist that spouses attend.. for that 'family' appeal...after all this is a trip of a life time for many...

Contestants must be military veterans.. however understand, we consider those still serving on active duty as veterans...just those on active duty, must remember that they have to clear with the military and government that they will be allowed to travel to Africa to be able to participate.. that is their responsibility to clear that with the military....

also understand, it is the responsibility of the contest winners to arrange for their travel to and from Africa... once there, Pieter and his firm will take care of the rest of the details ( within reason of course)... whistle

This trip will take place in 2013... and remember it is south of the equator... so while it is spring here, they are entering fall...

We will get this up and running hopefully in the next couple of weeks.. just give us a little patience...

we are coordinating this from points as far apart as South Africa, oregon and a few "garden spots".. a little further east...

My apologies to those that have been PMing me about this, and I haven't had a chance to get back to them, with solid info, as there wasn't any solid info' agreed to as of yet...

thanks to all
Best regards
john chr.
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would love to be on that list. But...
Skip me. I have too much on my table right now with raising my daughter by my self and going to college. I'll get there after graduation and when my daughter is old enough to know I'm not leaving her if I'm gone for a week or better yet when she is old enough to go with me.

I am honored that you are offering such a great opportunity for our veterans. Sounds like there is already some promising prospects.

Who ever goes, have a memorable experience and post results. you deserve it!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a veteran but not as deserving as others so I decline participation. But I would gladly contribute to airfare.

Nobody asked my opinion, but I think one criteria for qualifying hunters should be that the person(s) cannot afford to do it on their own. That would maximize the impact and enjoyment.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is am amazing offer thank you Pieter! The men and women of this forum never cease to amaze me with their generosity, understanding, and compassion for one another, not to mention the tribute you all pay to Veterans. Thank you once again!

Seafire you are all over it and all of us Vets thank you!

Rob

PS Pieter I really like your idea of including the vets spouses. All too often they are forgotten about and they are just as deserving if not more so than the Vets. When everyone is in the field training or deployed they are the ones keeping things together at home which a lot of times is much harder than what the Vets are going through. Even if they are not hunters I am sure they will greatly enjoy the sightseeing and opportunity to see another country and share in the overall experience with their spouse.

"RLTW"
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Seafire
Update on this...

We have gotten our panel to serve as Judges for this contest..
Myself, Pieter and 3 other forum members..

We haven't decided if we are going to make their names known yet... however each is both a distinguished and well established forum member of the campfire.. and anyone whose been around here for a while will know them....

Per Pieter's request, the contest looks like it will involve someone writing a short essay of 300 minimum, 500 maximum word essay of why they desire to go to Africa...

Pieter has also wanted to insist that spouses attend.. for that 'family' appeal...after all this is a trip of a life time for many...

Contestants must be military veterans.. however understand, we consider those still serving on active duty as veterans...just those on active duty, must remember that they have to clear with the military and government that they will be allowed to travel to Africa to be able to participate.. that is their responsibility to clear that with the military....

also understand, it is the responsibility of the contest winners to arrange for their travel to and from Africa... once there, Pieter and his firm will take care of the rest of the details ( within reason of course)... whistle

This trip will take place in 2013... and remember it is south of the equator... so while it is spring here, they are entering fall...

We will get this up and running hopefully in the next couple of weeks.. just give us a little patience...

we are coordinating this from points as far apart as South Africa, oregon and a few "garden spots".. a little further east...

My apologies to those that have been PMing me about this, and I haven't had a chance to get back to them, with solid info, as there wasn't any solid info' agreed to as of yet...

thanks to all
Best regards
john chr.
seafire

The Time Is HERE!

From June 20th to Aug 1st 2012, the Contest is Open

Details to follow on post below!!

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL APPLICANTS

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OKAY FOLKS! IT'S SHOW TIME!!!

The contest is open to any and all veterans, whether serviing actively now or former service members.

Rules are simple...

in a 500 WORDS or less brief "essay" ( for lack of a better word) tell us why you'd love to go to Africa for a once in a life time hunt.

We have 4 serving judges, plus Pieter who is donating all of this ( minus airfare to Africa).... the judges consist of 3 fellow veterans, and one other high profile and well known forum member whom has been to Africa to hunt...Pieter himself is also a veteran by the way...

please email your "why I want to go to Africa" essay to an email account I set up just for this occasion: [email protected]

this will give all that desire to participate, 6 weeks to be able to come up with and submit your essay...

for anyone who cares to donate "Air Miles" for those vets that will be winning contestants in our contest here, we will be open for that and any donations they desire to contribute also...

best of luck to each contestant...

thanks to my fellow judges for their time on this...

and a Big 24 Hour Campfire THANK YOU to Pieter for making this wonderful offer!

best regards
john chr.
seafire

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Essay? Gee can't you ya give the vets a break and make it multiple choice?
Good luck to all the vets and thanks for your service!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even though i'm a vet, writting has never been my forte so i'll watch from the sidelines. Good luck to whomever wins this safari!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A brief essay was Pieter's Idea... as it would be useful for marketing for his company on future advertisements..which is a good idea from his perspective...

however gentlemen, this isn't going to be based on an essay from an English Composition point of view...just let us know why ya would love to go...

If it is going to be a one in a lifetime adventure.. then say so..

that is sort of why you have a couple of veterans and then a pair of guys who have either been there, or in Pieter's case lives there...

don't let those rules intimidate you, if you don't consider yourself Ernest Hemingway or William Shakespeare...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is just Awesome of you guys. I hope whoever you pick as the winner appreciates all the thought, time and effort that goes into this adventure.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
IC B3

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
well Guys, so far we have ONE contestant that has submitted a short piece on why he'd love to go to Africa....

so I look forward to hearing from some more of our veterans...

cheers
seafire

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Where do we send our piece on why we'd like to go to Africa? I didn't start at the front, so might be there, but thought I'd have to wade through 6 pages of stuff.. thanks.. will check back tomorrow..

Ghost
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ghost, send it via email at

africahuntcharter.net

best regards
seafire

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks.. have a guy in PA I'm running this by, as he's been tied down with a disabled kid for 28 years, but the kid died, so he's now free to travel some. Is a custom gun maker, and a vet..

Ghost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pieter has also wanted to insist that spouses attend.

Has this been cast in stone? Let's not limit this to married vets, there are many vets that are single for whatever reason and deserving.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
a single vet is not going to be handicapped by this at all...

just FYI..

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
an update... we now have 4 contestants...

personally I am glad I am not the one and only decision on this one...If I was a rich guy, all 4 contestants would be going on this trip... or one like it... each one with Pieter tho...not another PH Guide...

so for each of those that want to toss their hat into the ring.. please don't be shy...

thanks
seafire

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Gentlemen...

we now have 10 contestants in the Contest...

and personally I am thankful and appreciate the time and support of my panel of judges for this...

the more entries we get, the definite harder time it gets to pick one more deserving than than the other...

We have 10 very fine gentlemen that have submitted an entry for this once in a life time opportunity...

I would personally like to thank each for their service to our country, but also for taking time to submitting an entry to our contest..sponsored by Pieter here...

a salute to each and best of luck on being the winner...

there are some guys I really stand in awe of...

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd like to let the Campfire know that we have decided to extend the contest deadline for this great opportunity to September 1.

We are hoping it will give an incentive for those veterans that have been on the fence about 'throwing their hat in the ring' will decide to do so...

right now we have 12 contestants...

If you are thinking about it guys... NOW is the time to act...

an short on essay on why you'd love to go on this trip, doesn't have to be any sort of fancy masterpiece...just tell us your desires...

Best of luck to each one of our contestants and best of luck to any that chose to enter during this 30 day contest extension..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I signed up on here I think 5 or 6 years ago but have only made one post in that time. I have been posting over on Accurate Reloading. Had actually forgotten my log-in here but have spent hours lurking and reading on here.
I was in the Army as a 13Bravo. I spent a year in Camp Casey, Korea. After that I was in the 101st in 2/320th FA. For the uninitiated our motto was (Balls of the Eagle). I deployed with them to Iraq in March 2003. Although Africa has been my dream since I was a kid I feel there are other Veterans more deserving than I am. I feel this will be a great experience for someone. and its very generous of you too offer it. I look forward to seeing the hunt report and pictures

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 08/09/12.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.