Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by jkingrph
...I am thinking it will take two hole sizes, a smaller one for the threaded portion, and a slightyl larger size where the countersink will locate so the screw can go through that section easily and allow the two pieces to be drawn together tightly...

It will aid hole alignment if you transfer the tap-drill hole through both mating parts, at assembly, later opening up the clearance holes.

Actually I have an x/y axis vise, and I thought about clamping both parts together and drillin the tap holes through at once. I'm thinking, drill and tap one, do the clearance countersink and assemble with one screw, then go back and do the last hole. That way everything will have to match.

GB1

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
J, that is the way I did mine and I used 4-40, countersunk allen screws. I used black tinted epoxy between the parts and loctite on the screw threads. It's not going anywhere.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
rj, I ran by the fastnall store this morning and was going to buy a box of screws and they literally gave me a dozen and a small single use tube of red loctite, gratis. I tried to pay them and no go, so I said my next bigger nut & bolt purchase would be there,

The young man waiting on me said the 4-40 would be better because more threads would be gripping, and would have plenty of shear strength especially considering small size of the parts.

Considering the space available and the small size of the screws, I may place 3 screws, in a triangular pattern. It should resist bending or stressing better in both axis left and right and along the length of the little assembly, but lay out and assembly is for later next week. I am now about half way over to Jackson, Ms to see my new grandson.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am also looking into getting a ghost ring on to my #1. My initial thoughts were to see if the existing rear sight dovetail was the same size or smaller the the sight dovetail on a 10/22 or a Deerfield carbine. Both of those guns have dovetail mount ghostrings available.

The other idea was to order a ghost ring inset for the factory #1 rear sight. Ruger sells one for the Mini 14/Deerfield.
[Linked Image]

There is also the XS sight for the Deerfield:
[Linked Image] If it just requires some filing on the sight to get it to fit this might be a good option.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Too far from the eye, field of view will be too small when the ghost ring is mounted that far forward.

IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
rj308,

The ghost ring setup on my Lyman Centennial -- with a 26" barrel of course -- worked fine.

1B

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
That's good if it will work for you. When the ghost ring is too far away from my eye, the field of view through it is too small and the aperture obscures too much of the target. I like it close enough to my eye that goes out of focus, hence the name "ghost ring".

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Behind the rear scope mount seems the perfect, out of the way, place for the ghost ring, if there's enough room. Another thread showed a pop-up ghost ring that self-deployed when the scope was removed.

http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.asp

Needs some room.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, that one is pretty cool. I like that concept.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I am almost ok with using something mounted on the existing rear site dovetail as it will be better then what I have now. I am going to buy a cheap set of rings and take them to a machinist to have them cut down to just a flat top. Then maybe drill and tap that to mount a screw in ring.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you mock it up using cardboard and tape you might find it's too far away from your eye.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
That is not a bad idea. The OEM rear sight inserts are very cheap, I think I will just tack one or two onto my next Brownells order and see if I can make something that works. Otherwise I am going to sell the NECG sight set my rifle came with and buy the pieces that the OP used and try my hand at making his setup.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bunnielab, I'm sure your idea will work. I have use Mo-Jo sights on some of my mil surp rifles to get an apeature type sight without permanently altering an otherwise collectiable rifle. For my old eyes they work very well, but do prefere the longer sight radius afforded by the conversion first presented in this thread.

I did complete mine, and have not shot the rifle with it yet. I even managed to break a 4-40 tap in one of the holes to be threaded, fortunately there is enough realestate left to drill and tap another hole and it looks ok, like an extra indexing pin installed.

I purchased another couple of sights and some ase adapters and need to get out and start grinding, sawing and filing and make a couple of more sets. They look quite nice when mounted.

Time involved is not too great, I first used a hack saw to cut off excess from sight and base, using slots as guide to cut straight, then a fine slow speed grinder to remove excess, the start to work with file going slow and carefully keeping mating surfaces flat and square, then finally setting up and drilling and tapping screws, then to fininsh I filed scred heads flat and flush before blueing.

Last edited by jkingrph; 12/25/11.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Any pictures you have of the finished unit would be much appreciated. I'm pretty sure I could do the work myself, but I only have access to a pretty crappy drill press so I am somewhat leery about the drilling bit.

It looks like my front sight is a NECG aftermarket as well, so as soon as I can get it off (my stock of super tiny Allen wrenches is sadly short) I will sell the set and get working on making a ghost ring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't suppose you'd build me one? wink

If guns kill people.....mine must be defective.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=rifle

Check out the lower, right corner--shows a Weaver style base w/ a dovetail way and ghost ring; that particular one made for a Remington 700.

For my pre-'64 m70 I'd like to try to keep the original iron sights intact, so must use the lowest profile base (Warne Maxima w/ q/d rings). What I plan is to precisely mock up a ghost ring from cardboard, so I can try it at the range, making necessary adjustments such that I will have exact dimensions to fabricate a steel one. I would drill & tap 2 holes, horizontally, in the rear of the rear base to which I can attach a very low profile ghost ring which will clear my scope. The mounting holes can allow for a small amount of fine manual adjustment.

This design will allow me to fabricate the whole thing myself at no cost.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like Skinner sights has taken up the baton

http://www.skinnersights.com/ruger_firearms_22.html

I had already made one of the ones in the post here and found a link for the Skinner today. It looks like a more permanent installation, but on a couple of my rifles that will be fine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.