-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But he wouldn't be sporting a factory tube when he got done building one either.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tony - call me cheap or frugal. I've never really been into custom rifles and their cost. I consider myself darn fortunate that I've had regular ole rifles shooting factory ammo into MOA without any problems. I'm a hunter that limits shots to 400yds or less. Just really infatuated with the 6.5x55 and want another. If I could find a good one that was priced right and not somebody thinking they had the crown jewels I'd buy it.
Now - you guys want to recommend a barrel maker for that 700 or 70 action and tell me why them please. I've found a Rem700 BDL that looks like I can start with and still not ruling out a new barrel for the FN Mod 70. Planning on 22" 1 in 8 twist, blued.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam
7mm08, if you had a 270 Win all it would require to make it into a perfectly functioning 6.5x55 would be a standard rebarrel.
You could buy a blank in the contour you wanted and have a local 'smith thread, chamber, and fit the barrel.
You could also send your action to someone like PacNor and have them fit and chamber one of their barrels for ~$600 in SS. This includes lug lapping and action truing.

Places such as IT&D and ER Shaw will do it for much less.

I gave three choices here. I'd go with Pac-Nor myself.
There are many others in the PN price range too.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just use a Rem 700 in 30-06 or 270 and barrel with a Number three contour from any barrel manufacture that give a good deal on their barrel , PacNor , Shilen, Hart , Lilja. If i was building for myself i would use a Hart SS # 3 1&8 twist and this is because i already have the Hart barrel .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mm08fan
Tony - call me cheap or frugal. I've never really been into custom rifles and their cost.Just really infatuated with the 6.5x55 and want another. If I could find a good one that was priced right and not somebody thinking they had the crown jewels I'd buy it.

Here's another option...buy the Howa barreled action in 6.5X55 Swede and purchase a Mcmillan edge. grin
Here's the link to one.
Howa Stainless 6.5 Swede

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mistem
Tony - call me cheap or frugal. I've never really been into custom rifles and their cost.Just really infatuated with the 6.5x55 and want another. If I could find a good one that was priced right and not somebody thinking they had the crown jewels I'd buy it.

Here's another option...buy the Howa barreled action in 6.5X55 Swede and purchase a Mcmillan edge. grin
Here's the link to one.
Howa Stainless 6.5 Swede

That's not a bad option. You can get a stock for under $100. Here's one from Boyd's just as an example:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FT-WBY-VG-HOWA-LA-FBC-RJL-F-p/600-691.htm

The McMillans must be good. The name is mentioned ad nauseum here on the 'fire. But they cost a lot more than $100.

The 6.5x55 seems to be all the rage these days, and rightly so. It is an excellent hunting cartridge. They are not common in American sporting rifles, so they tend to command a premium. I had a Win M70 Classic Featherweight with killer wood, but traded it away at a gunshow. The dealer that got it sold it on Gunbroker for $1053! I gave $550 for it.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I just had a pre-64 model 70 rebarreled in 6.5x55 by Mark Chanlynn. I put it in a McMillan A3. It shipped last week, can't wait to get her back

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've found a Rem700 BDL that looks like I can start with and still not ruling out a new barrel for the FN Mod 70. Planning on 22" 1 in 8 twist, blued.

I'd call Brux barrels and have have them make me a barrel in the factory contour. No reason to go messing around with non-factory contours and having to change the inletting in the stock if you're happy with the factory contour. When my barrel came in I'd box it up and send it to someone like Redneck here on the campfire and have him do the work. You'll likely end up coming out cheaper than sending it to Pac-Nor and have a better job done.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 10 6.5x55 rifles built on Krag, Mauser, Remington, and Winchester actions, so there are lots of options available.

If considering the Howa 1500, be advised that they have a reputation for having a deep throat, such that shorter/lighter bullets may have some freebore jump to the rifling.

Jeff

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've found a Rem700 BDL that looks like I can start with and still not ruling out a new barrel for the FN Mod 70. Planning on 22" 1 in 8 twist, blued.
That rifle will work easily for your project..

Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I'd call Brux barrels and have have them make me a barrel in the factory contour. No reason to go messing around with non-factory contours and having to change the inletting in the stock if you're happy with the factory contour. When my barrel came in I'd box it up and send it to someone like Redneck here on the campfire and have him do the work. You'll likely end up coming out cheaper than sending it to Pac-Nor and have a better job done.
Not to mention faster too.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just send the thing to Pac-Nor Barreling. They'll do the whole job for you. You can have them duplicate the original barrel's contour exactly so it'll fit back into the original stock with no inletting, or ask for what you want. You can choose from a long list of choices. Every Super Match barrel I have from them has been outstanding in accuracy. They are friendly and will answer any questions about your project.

http://www.pac-nor.com/

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 04/02/12.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
7mm08fan,

I've been down the same path. I became a fan of the 6.5x55 a few years ago and it started with a Tikka T3. I wanted a second Swede and sent a mediocre shooting NH Win 70 FWT classic to Lee (Redneck) who rebarreled it with a FWT contour 23" 8 twist Pac-Nor . I'm very pleased with it.

[Linked Image]

I acquired a nice custom stock a few months ago inletted for a LA Win 70 XTR FWT that I've found a 25-06 donor for. If it doesn't shoot, I would seriously consider sending it to Redneck for another 6.5x55 rebarrel....prolly use Pac-Nor again since the first one worked out so well. BTW, GB has 3 NIB Win 70 XTR long actions for sale made in the early to mid 80's.

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK - if any of you guys are still looking - what's your opinion of Douglas Premium barrels? Local smith who has done some things for me in the past uses them and does the final threading, chambering, and finishing himself. The price he's offerd me is darn reasonable in my opinion but I'd like to hear from some people about the quality of the Douglas barrels.

Thanks for all the input. It's definitely helped me make some decisions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 'smith uses Douglas premium barrels and they make very accurate rifles. I think that I have three of them still in my safe and three more with my daughter and grandsons. Probably have sold traded away four or five more. Never had a bad one, but my sample size is small compared to most folks on this site.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 15 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.