Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pieter,

Thank you very much for this wonderful offer. If I could make it this year I would be throwing my hat in the ring. Hope to see you again in a couple years anyway.

Thanks and God bless you.

Charles

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a generous offer!! Two BIG thumbs up for Pieter, and our Vets!!

14-year vet here, myself.

Eric

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
just off the cuff, what would air fare to S. Africa cost?

5K for the two of them.......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A very generous and honorable thing to do. Nice job there PK.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. You may want to also include active duty as well as veterans.

2. Africa first timers.

My 2 cents worth.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
As Pieter is kind enough to think of this and offer his services, maybe the Fire can help with the $5K tickets.

If the organizers had access to a 501c3 entity to use as a dedicated pass through, the contributions could be tax deductible.

Publicity will help sell the idea and get it off the ground.

The selection process will probably be the hardest, and that will have to be carefully constructed to find the right ones to go.

Sounds like a good project and a lot of work.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
As Pieter is kind enough to think of this and offer his services, maybe the Fire can help with the $5K tickets.

If the organizers had access to a 501c3 entity to use as a dedicated pass through, the contributions could be tax deductible.

Publicity will help sell the idea and get it off the ground.

The selection process will probably be the hardest, and that will have to be carefully constructed to find the right ones to go.

Sounds like a good project and a lot of work.

DF

Good idea. Too bad the airline fees are so steep for donating miles.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Pieter,

I greatly respect and commend you for this action. I have worked with Jobless, homeless vets in a VA contract program since 2006. I wish the project well and would also contribute to an airfare defraying project.

Best,
Dai

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
just off the cuff, what would air fare to S. Africa cost?

5K for the two of them.......
That may be high I just booked 2 tickets to SA about a month ago for $3600

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gentlemen...

Pieter and I are hammering out the details on how we are going to conduct this...we spoke on the phone for an hour yesterday..

once we get a final draft, the first step is to have it all approved by Rick Bin, since this is Rick's Web site..

sadly all who would love to go will not be able to...believe me, I think Pieter and I are both on the same page, that we wish we could do it for every deserving veteran on the forum..

sadly, logistics and cost on Pieter's end is prohibitive and my time on this is going to be given as a service with respect to all of you guys..

I am going to approach a couple of forum members who have been assisting in the background for the other Veterans project first to be a Committee for judging who will be the recipients of this 'gift' from Pieter...

for the logistics consideration, the time from that this will take place in will be in August 2013...

Pieter indicated that it will take too much time to get it all done before August of this year... he also indicated that August would be the best hunting month... and he is graciously taking that time to do this... right in his prime hunting month...

another sacrifice of his to ensure this to be a trip of a lifetime to the winners..

Pieter would like this to be open for the recipients to be able to bring their spouses along....

it will also be roughing it style hunting...out where the game is.. and around the campfire at night, instead of hanging out at the lodge...it is felt that would maximize the experience...

so if folks have some physical restrains, that should be considered..

we are still in the process of developing this... so please be patient..

I'll try to get updates posted as soon as possible, as the wheels turn on this..

best regards
seafire..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wow !

thanks guys. i am a vet, and would sell plasma to get the airfare up if needed.
i'd love to go, and am still in great health. count me in to go.

thank you very much for your kindness guys.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"it will also be roughing it style hunting...out where the game is.. and around the campfire at night, instead of hanging out at the lodge...it is felt that would maximize the experience..."

That is great! Pieter - wow - just wow! What an incredible offer.

I have no idea how to choose from all the veterans - completely random drawing perhaps?

Guy

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CharlesL
1. You may want to also include active duty as well as veterans.

2. Africa first timers.

My 2 cents worth.

Guys, I grew up as a military Dependent...plus spent my time in the service...

it wasn't until recently that I have even heard, much less embraced the concept of Active Duty guys to be considered the same as Veterans...

I grew up with the concept, your first day at the induction center, you were automatically a veteran...

so for guys interested in this.. if you are on active duty... you're a veteran.... same as any person who is back in the civilian world...

its got to be democrats that are putting this into people's heads that you aren't a veteran until you're off active duty..

you served or Serve... you are a vet..

( sorry for the soap box rant, but who ever is telling you guys serving now on active, aren't veterans next.. needs to be taken in a dark alley and 'straightened out'...) mad

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldn't agree more!

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Wow - thank you Pieter and Seafire!!! You guys are what make coming home to the USA all about. Each you gives something each day to this country, that somebody deployed or stationed overseas, is waiting to get home and experience. Thank you for your generous support!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You might consider giving preference to enlisted over officers if you choose to select active duty. They're probably less likely to be able to swing the trip themselves.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Outstanding & Thank You for the generous offer. Pm sent also.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any further development on this? I have a few vets eager to submit their request...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's going to take a while to agree on the rules, how judging should take place and what the format is going to be. I am standing on the side and Seafire is doing all of this in his spare time at no cost.

I'll have a word with Seafire and maybe we can do a monthly update. One of the rules we are thinking about is that anyone entering must be a signed up member of this forum. How about a few suggestions for rules from your side?

Thanks for the interest.

Pieter

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great offer, Thanks Peter and Seafire...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.