Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Discovering Tactical Solutions didn't help anything

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For me I'd get the Single Six if I wanted a gun to carry in the field or needed the .22mag.

Otherwise if I wanted a range gun, accuracy and a squirrel killer I'd get the MkIII.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I've only owned one Ruger auto and that was the standard, fix sighted gun that I paid $37.50 for..... I've owned an SS Convertible with adjustable sights since 1972. I've had the pleasure of shooting lots of the later Ruger autos as well.
A good, semi auto Ruger will often shoot like a rifle accuracy wise. Even with iron sights, groups running an inch at 25 yds. are common. I've seen groups on the order of 1-1.5 inches at 50 yds. on scope sighted Ruger autos.
My SS convertible, with ammo it likes, CCI's, puts all six .22 RF Magnums into two inches at 25 yds., iron sights. The other clynder does a bit worse than that.
I've shot lots of small game with both the .22 LR and the .22 RFM. I have a strong perference for the magnum round since I'm an iron sights, body shooter sort of small game hunter. That and I appreciate the much better penetrating ability of the 40 gr. HP magnum ammo for larger stuff.
On the other hand, if you want to scope it and try for head shots, etc, the auto would be my choice. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/06/12.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have done quite a bit of shooting with both a MKIII Hunter and A Single-Six Hunter...you really can't go wrong with either...

[Linked Image]

The following targets were all shot on the same day at 25 yards. One target with scope and one without.....

S-S Hunter with 4 power Leupold....

[Linked Image]

w/scope (Magnum)

[Linked Image]

w/o scope (Magnum)

[Linked Image]

w/scope (Long Rifle)

[Linked Image]

w/o scope (Long Rifle)

[Linked Image]

MKIII Hunter with 2 power Leupold....

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Handguns/Survival22s041.jpg[/img]

w/scope

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Handguns/DSCF5851.jpg[/img]

w/o scope...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b77/RJM52/Handguns/DSCF5852.jpg[/img]

Both gun need better open sights. They both had V notch rear sights. The SS has a gold bead front and the MKIII a FO. I changed out the rear blade on the SS to a One Ragged Hole peep and that helped.... The MKIII is still being worked on.

I like them both....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have a Super Single Six that shoots very very well with ammo it likes, in particular Remington Ely (black box) but it is too pricey to shoot very often. Same thing with 22 mag.
My MKIII 22 45 shoots most ammo quite well and has been impressive with CCI mini mag HP.
Both are great guns.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like many here I have the Single Six with the extra mag. cylinder and a MK II. The Single Six is pretty accurate but only when I take my time and have a good rest. The MKII, on the other hand, seems to be just dead on accurate in a kind of casual way, if that makes sense? I shoot the MKII easily five times more than the Single Six and that may be why.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
Which is the more accurate handgun?

The ability toadd a 22Mag cylinder is a HUGE plus. But I am not sure of the accuracy with said cylinder.

I asked a few months ago of thoughs Buckmark vs Ruger Mark III. I think I have made the decision to stick with Ruger.

Now trying to make the pick between the two.

Would be a training tool, packing pistol for the kids and myself.

Almost leaning toward the revolver as it's more "intentional" than the autoloader. But accuracy is paramount.

I also have both. But as a training tool, I would start with the single six.
But its NOT all that accurate. Trigger pull is too heavy.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jesse Jaymes: I have owned a pair of Ruger Super Single Six revolvers for several years now - they are rather accurate when I shoot them off of sandbags with their iron sights. I don't shoot the 22 Magnum cylinders much at all.
One of my Single Six's is a 6 1/2" barrel model and the other is a 5 1/2" barrel model.
In comparison with my pair of Ruger MK III heavy barrel pistols we must consider the red dot type optical sights I have on them. One of my MK III's is a 5" model and the other is a 6 3/4" model - they both are more accurate than the Single Six's as they are presently configured!
But not by to much!
I am hosting a friend from the west coast next week for a Varmint Safari and he is bringing along his brand new (and expensive!) Ruger Super Single Six "Hunter" model complete with an optical scope - I am sure we will compare this longer barreled Single Six with optical sight to my heavy barreled MK III's.
I shoot my various Ruger pistols almost exclusively at Ground Squirrels and small game.
I am happy with my two Single Six's for this use - as I believe you would be BUT the accuracy edge does go to the MK III's.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,902
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.