Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Help me decide...I have narrowed down my BG / DG hunting rifle purchase down to 2 or maybe a third?
Sako Kodiak or Brown Bear models in .375 H7H vs.
the CZ Magnum Express .375 H&H:

CZ:
The Safari Classics line from CZ-USA features the CZ single set trigger system set up to your specifications, matte or gloss blue finish on metal parts, #1 Fancy grade American Walnut stock with dual crossbolts and straight comb, glass bedded to the individual action, and a barrel band sling mount.
The rifles chambered in .505 Gibbs and .500 Jeffery include a mercury recoil reducer installed in the stock as well. We have also added several optional upgrades that you can add at the time you place your order. They include bolt jewelling, a muzzle brake, ebony fore end tip, rust or satin blue finish, weather resistant coating, and more.
CZ 550 embodies aesthetic elegance and ergonomic design. On closer inspection the heart of the machine shows its time honored features.
Mauser style claw extractor
Square bridge receiver
Hammer forged barrel
Single set trigger
The CZ 550 has a positive 2-position safety. All CZ 550's feature a classic square bridge receiver with a 19mm dovetail milled right into the receiver for the mounting of optics. For accuracy and long life these rifles are fitted with hammer forged barrels.
Price $2510.00 USD

Sako:[/b]
SAKO [b]85 BROWN BEAR
has an action which is designated Long (L) action. The ACTION continue to offer traditional SAKO features such as: action sizes matched to cartridges; mechanical ejec- tion and integral tapered scope mount rail. Additionally there is a controlled feed on all models to ensure reliable cartridge feed to the chamber on all situations (Pat. pend.). The MAGAZINE is detachable and it can also be loaded through the ejection port. Magazine release is prevented against accidental release (Pat. pend.). The single-stage TRIGGER pull is adjustable from 1 kg to 2 kg (2 to 4 lbs). The SAFETY features a mechanism that allows loading and unloading of the rifle with safety engaged. The straight, classic STOCK is made of brown mattlaquered laminated hardwood and reinforced with two cross-bolts. Strong, extended recoil lug screwed on the fore-end. Band type front swivel around the barrel in front of the forend. SAKO 85 BROWN BEAR is available with adjustable open sights. Integral rails for the scope mounts are on the top of the receiver. The short, totally free-floating bull BARREL is cold hammer-forged.
TECHNICAL DATA
Action
L
caliber
375 H&H Mag
rate of twist
12�
Overall length L Barrel length L
Weight L Length of pull L
1065 mm (42") 540 mm (21 1/4") 3.6 kg (7 15/16 lbs) 355 mm (14")
Cartridge capacity L 5 rounds (1 in chamber, 4
$1,950.00

So they are around the same cost...well oddly the CZ is 'bout $500. more

It is the 20"(CZ) to 21"(Sako) barrel length and hence shorter overall, that I am interested in among other features...
BTW, some have said that the Sakos are NOT really "controlled feed"...though the Co. says they are...what gives ?

Last edited by bullets4yogi; 04/09/12.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Go to a dealer that stocks both rifles. Pick them up and shoulder them. Close your eyes and shoulder them. See how the sights on each line up when you open your eyes. Which one feels and fits better? Which trigger do you like best? Which action feels smoother and easier to manipulate?

After performing this examination, buy the one that feels "right" to you. From a mechanical standpoint, both are fine rifles. The CZ is true CRF, the Sako 85 isn't ( it's a modified push feed and doesn't have a long claw extractor). The CZ has a floorplate, the Sako a secure detachable box.

In the end, it's all fit and feel. You won't go wrong with either one.

BTW, just to confuse you even more, while you're shopping, take a look at the new Winchester Model 70 Safari. It's a lot of rifle and costs less than either the Sako or the CZ.

Last edited by Winchestermodel70; 04/09/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally I'd go sako, but fit and feel will let you know.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

"Turdlike".... in record time

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd go with the Sako Kodiak. I don't have any CZ big bores, but the Kodiak is silky smooth and the the iron sights are great. It's a few hundred cheaper and stainless/laminate. The Sako isn't a controlled feed like the CZ but I've never had any extraction issues with a Sako. The smoothness of the action on a Sako vs a CZ gives me more confidence that I wouldn't hang up a round trying the cycle the rifle in a moment of panic.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sako.

Dink

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Sako looney, but consider CZ first when pondering such a rifle.

Look at this route to bring your costs down and/or perhaps give you more for your money.

American Hunting Rifles

WAR EAGLE!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sako or pre-'64 model 70. grin

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the Plane Jane CZ 550 American Safari would be a LOT cheaper.

good luck

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Go to a dealer that stocks both rifles. Pick them up and shoulder them. Close your eyes and shoulder them. See how the sights on each line up when you open your eyes. Which one feels and fits better? Which trigger do you like best? Which action feels smoother and easier to manipulate?

After performing this examination, buy the one that feels "right" to you. From a mechanical standpoint, both are fine rifles. The CZ is true CRF, the Sako 85 isn't ( it's a modified push feed and doesn't have a long claw extractor). The CZ has a floorplate, the Sako a secure detachable box.

BTW, just to confuse you even more, while you're shopping, take a look at the new Winchester Model 70 Safari. It's a lot of rifle and costs less than either the Sako or the CZ.
In the end, it's all fit and feel. You won't go wrong with either one.

I did consider the Win 70 but at 24" barrel gun is too long overall.

Last edited by bullets4yogi; 04/09/12.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by avagadro

good luck

Yes, but Barrel & gun too long...4 or 5' more...

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bullets4yogi
Originally Posted by avagadro

good luck

Yes, but Barrel & gun too long...4 or 5' more...

A gunsmith could cut/crown the barrel and re-install the sight. Might be more trouble and cost than it's worth, but thought I'd mention it.

There are still some Ruger Magnums in 375 H&H running around although I know that's not what you're looking at.

Gunbroker Auction - Ruger 375 H&H

Just throwing ideas at you. Of the two you mention, I like the CZ.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not as smooth out of the box as the Sako the CZ will smooth up with use and is about as tough as a rifle can get.

I would start with a factory CZ and accessorize to taste wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
I would start with a factory CZ and accessorize to taste wink

This is where AHR makes sense.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the two it would be Sako for me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the longer barreled CZ and it has never been a problem for me. I do hunt in the bush so am used to thick stuff. They smooth out quickly and are very accurate with the express sites.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have both, Sako's and CZ's. To me a very hard choice. The Sako will indeed be smoother out of the box, but the CZ will get there with use. No idea what the issue is with the longer barrel? The CZ to me is the better DG rifle, but have never had a Sako fail to load or extract. I would pick the one that feels the best in my hands. Both will be accurate and well made.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have both, Sako's and CZ's. To me a very hard choice. The Sako will indeed be smoother out of the box, but the CZ will get there with use. No idea what the issue is with the longer barrel? The CZ to me is the better DG rifle, but have never had a Sako fail to load or extract. I would pick the one that feels the best in my hands. Both will be accurate and well made.

A curious thing also...Also ...MANY others on other boards, are telling me that the SAKO is NOT a "TRUE CFR" ...not like a Winchester 70 or the CZ Safari...
...I don't understand that???...either it is "Push Feed like a Remington or Weatherby or it is "controlled feed" (CFR) like the Win or CZ / Mauser ?
What is not TRUE CFR mean[/B][/I]...SAKO lists it as CFR???
Either it IS or ISN'T...no?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The TWO (& only two) 85's I've seen are True CRF ... just they do it with a non-claw extractor. The cartridge just slides up into the boltface held in place by the extractor. Seems folks get there panties knotted if it doesn't have a BIG claw extractor ala CZ/M70/Ruger. Hell, a big claw extractor isn't a guarantee of CRF as some M77's came with claw extractors and were push feeds.

I again admit .... I have never owned one and have only witnessed them at the range, one 270, and the other an 06. It is also possible that those two were abnomalities .... ???

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Sako calls their system a Sako Round Control System. It's not a traditional CRF in the sense of the Mauser design. It may very well be a reliable round controlling system, but I'm not qualified to say.

Here is a review on Chuck Hawks website: Sako 85 Rifles - Chuck Hawks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you equate CRF with a claw extractor the Sako ain't the rifle for you.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 65 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,052
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.