Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

Well, that's very interesting!

I had never heard of the RCBS 9.3x62 problem before. My dies (which I've had over a decade) are Redding, and have worked just fine with a couple of European rifles.

I contacted Redding after I got off the phone with RCBS. They e-mailed the Euro-trash SAAMI spec sheet thingy along with the dimensions of their 9.3 dies to ease my worried little mind. They're good to go. Obviously...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

Well, that's very interesting!

I had never heard of the RCBS 9.3x62 problem before. My dies (which I've had over a decade) are Redding, and have worked just fine with a couple of European rifles.

I contacted Redding after I got off the phone with RCBS. They e-mailed the Euro-trash SAAMI spec sheet thingy along with the dimensions of their 9.3 dies to ease my worried little mind. They're good to go. Obviously...

Travis

Evidently there is a difference between the Euro and SAAMI 9.3x62 specs. What is that difference and how are the old Mauser rifles chambered? Or another way to ask the question, in that the 9.3x62 is a metric, German round, why would SAAMI have a different configuration than the Euro version, which obviously was (is) the original?

DF

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The gentleman from RCBS told me there are no official SAAMI specs. Only the CIP specs. It is called CIP correct?

Travis

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by deflave
The gentleman from RCBS told me there are no official SAAMI specs. Only the CIP specs. It is called CIP correct?

Travis

I checked on line. It's the CIP (Commission Internationale Permanente). It would seem to me that there should be one standard for the 9.3x62 round, if not SAAMI, then CIP. I wonder in the current RCBS offerings are made with the "right" reamer?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Usually there's some coordination between CIP and SAAMI, especially with cartridges produced by both European and American companies. But not always, apparently!

I may be simply lucky, but have always used Norma and Nosler brass (also made by Norma) when loading the 9.3x62, and both the rifles I've loaded for have been European, a CZ and a Husqvarna.

I've also had really good luck with Redding dies. Redding's a relatively small company that's very careful and knowledgeable, which comes right from the top. Richard Beebe, their owner and president, is a hands-on technician and avid shooter/hunter. Plus, everything they make is produced in the U.S. (and on American-made machinery) so they have total control of the process.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Did you ask the top secret reborer dude if he has had any issues reported to him by others?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pacecars
Did you ask the top secret reborer dude if he has had any issues reported to him by others?

Travis.

That does raise some questions about your re-bore and your chamber. Did you gunsmith use a CIP spec. reamer? Or, are there other versions of the 9.3x62 chamber?

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Hmmm - my RCBS dies are over 10 years old so maybe they were cut with a different reamer than the current dies. I've only used Norma brass to date, but just bought some PRVI 9.3x62. I guess I'll soon find out if I have a problem...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I did not.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I had my rifle rebored by the same guy but have not picked up dies yet. He does quite a few

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Travis.

That does raise some questions about your re-bore and your chamber. Did you gunsmith use a CIP spec. reamer? Or, are there other versions of the 9.3x62 chamber?

DF

I did not contact the smith. I don't like to throw up flags and ask a lot of questions until I know what is going on. That is why I opted to send the five fired cases to RCBS. RCBS stated very plainly that my chamber was within CIP spec. I did ask the RCBS technician if there were two different versions. He said there were not, and he did not offer a solid explanation for why their dimensions were different than the CIP standard.

I know it all sounds strange, because it is. But I can only report what information was given to me. Redding sent me an actual e-mail with the specs, but with RCBS, it was all communicated via telephone.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by JGray
Hmmm - my RCBS dies are over 10 years old so maybe they were cut with a different reamer than the current dies. I've only used Norma brass to date, but just bought some PRVI 9.3x62. I guess I'll soon find out if I have a problem...

I do not know they are, but I suspect they were cut differently. The RCBS technician said he believes these current dies have been in production about six years. Tony uses RCBS dies as well, but I believe he stated they are 12 years old.

My one bag of Prvi brass was an abortion. However, those Prvi 286gr bullets are the shizz, and they hit to the same POA as the Hornady 286gr.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I had my rifle rebored by the same guy but have not picked up dies yet. He does quite a few

Per RCBS, you won't have any problems, as long as you stick with their competitor's products. Aren't rifles cool? grin

Travis

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
That's disappointiung to hear on the brass - I've never heard anything negative about their 9.3x62 brass until now. I did get some 286 PRVI bullets at the same time but haven't shot any yet.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Take it with a grain of salt, because everything I have read indicates it's good stuff.

I think I ran into hiccups because Steelhead warned against this build. Gave my project bad voodoo.

Travis

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Well pooh! He didn't particularly like mine either

L
LowBC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I am using Lapua Brass and have no issues for the 9.3x62. It is good gear as far as I am concerned.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep! Generally good brass and dies, in a good barrel with the right chamber, shoot pretty well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My 5 to 6 YO RCBS 9.3 X 62 dies work great

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My Redding 9.3X62 dies produce slightly more accurate ammunition with the same load than my RCBS 9.3X62 dies. Why I had both is a long story. I sold the RCBS dies and kept the Reddings.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 2,995 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.